U.S. Hang Gliding Pilots

Post subject: Volmer Jensen
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Volmer Jensen Image
VJ-__________'
He modeled, built, and piloted while being a welcoming spirit to many. Bring for read, see, and discussion your favorite gems from the life and influence of Volmer. Twenty years before the mid-1900s' "hang gliding renaissance" Volmer foot-launched his three-axis-controlled biplane hang glider VJ-11. He helped to format the 1970s hang gliding scene while being wary of the flex-wing; he gave us a foot-launched three-axis control cantilevered hang glider featuring thick airfoil and Irv Culver wing twist. May we trace his various wings and know his blessings to hang gliding which are still unfolding. Have fun finding, posting, and discussing Volmer gems.

=======
Volmer's Production Models Shop encircled the production of a famous movie prop: U.S.S. Enterprise http://startrekhistory.com/models.html
==============

Volmer piloting. Other photos will show someone else flying his VJ-11; the name of the pilot is sought.

Article written by Volmer Jensen and published by the Soaring Society of America, September 1971.

Published by Soaring Society of America in September of 1971, with some comment about the May 23, 1971 Otto Meet in Newport Beach, Volmer Jensen wrote:
FIRST CONTROLLED HANG GLIDER?
A great deal of interest was shown at the recent Championship hang glider meet (July Soaring). Approximately 15 hang gliders were flown. There was a flight every five minutes — and a "crackup" every five minutes. It was absolutely hilarious to watch these gliders go through uncontrolled flight. All were controlled by shifting the body weight which had practically no effect on the attitude of the craft. It is easy to understand that shifting a pilot's weight of 150 pounds laterally by six inches is not enough to lower the high wing. This results in the lower wing digging into the ground and ending up in a 180-degree ground loop that faces back up the hill again! I found this out by building two hang gliders 40 years ago. Then 30 years ago, during the war when we couldn't fly any aircraft within 150 miles from the coast, I thought it would be fun to build another hang glider. I knew the C.A.A. wouldn't mind since I was only going to slide down the hill. However, I put controls on it, and I believe it is the first hang glider in the world to have three-dimensional controls. Even the Wright Brothers did not have a hang glider; they lay down in their glider to fly.

I installed elevators and ailerons, controlled by the right hand with a device shaped like a + sign and a rudder by the left hand, using a short rudder bar. It flew great. Many glider pilots tried it including John Robinson, National Soaring Champion for 3 years, and Irv Culver, Lockheed aerodynamicist who helped on the stress analysis, and even fellows with no previous flying experience. We could take off in 3 steps down the hill and sometimes land by just bending our knees. On some flights we even gained altitude which I recorded on 16mm. color film.

As soon as one's feet leave the ground by 12 inches, one feels like he's 1000 feet in the air. This is a very exhilarating experience and a safe sport as evidenced by no injuries of any kind to the contestants at the meet. If each glider at this meet had controls, it would have taken off at the top of the hill and flown to the bottom with perfect control.

We can furnish you with a complete set of blueprints — 8 photographs and full scale rib layout. The cost of materials is approximately $400.00. We do not furnish a kit or materials.

To facilitate your delivery, please make your payment by cashier's, certified check, or money order.

IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS PLEASE SEND A SELF-ADDRESSED AND STAMPED ENVELOPE.

Please tear off and sign, include with your payment and MAKE A COPY OF THIS AGREEMENT FOR YOURSELF.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOLMER AIRCRAFT [Omitted: Volmer contact information ... please respect their privacy ... these plans are no longer available]

Please find enclosed $50.00 as full payment for the right to manufacture one and only one VJ-11 Hang glider from your set of plans and photographs comprising 4 blueprints - 24 sq. ft. 8 photographs and full size rib layout. I agree to pay you an additional sum of $50.00 for every additional airplane or any part thereof built by me or anyone else from all or any part of these plans or photographs or any copy thereof. I further agree not to sell or loan these plans or any copies thereof except upon such terms and conditions.

[Omitted: blank lines for your signature, address, date and telephone]

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System

Post subject: Re: Volmer Jensen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:48 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Volmer Jensen was a brilliant man with wonderful designed hang gliders.
He was way ahead of his time too.
I owned a VJ-23 Swing wing and a VJ-24 Sun Fun as well.
Engineered well and very nice gliders.
I think their not very portable configurations lost to the flex wing in the bag concept.

"Experience is no substitute for Safety"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:37 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
I owned a VJ-23 Swing wing and a VJ-24 Sun Fun as well

I can only imagine your photo album. I hope you're digitizing that stuff!

Quote:
I think their not very portable configurations lost to the flex wing in the bag concept.

So true. In the NE we spent a lot of time hiking gliders thru the woods, setting up in the scrub, and taking three steppers out of the slot. Nothing beats a Rogallo for that type of stuff.

Post subject: Volmer Jensen
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:17 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I'll start this subject but many others can add their information about this man of many aeronautical talents.

Here is Volmer flying with the gulls at Torrance Beach (just down the road from Dockweiler Beach).

Frank Colver

Attachment:
Volmer flying with gulls R.jpg
Volmer flying with gulls R.jpg [ 241.35 KiB | Viewed 13995 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:31 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

We join another topic thread on Volmer Jensen, which follow also: HERE

Dockweiler soaring master: Volmer Jensen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:35 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Ad for plans in 1972 for the VJ-11 hang glider

Attachments:
VJ11ad1972plans.JPG
VJ11ad1972plans.JPG [ 58.65 KiB | Viewed 14612 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:02 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I looked and for some reason didn't see the already existing subject of Volmer Jensen in this history section. The two do need to be combined into just one. When BobK gets a chance he could do that.

FC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:56 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

fcolver wrote:
The two do need to be combined into just one. When BobK gets a chance he could do that.

Done. I've merged the posts from the new topic into the old one.

By the way, that's a super picture of Volmer with the Gulls Frank!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:03 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

THANKS BOB. :thumbup:

FC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:10 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

fcolver wrote:
THANKS BOB. :thumbup:

You're more than welcome Frank!!! With 12,197 posts scattered over 1,469 topics, it's easy to create a duplicate topic.

If anyone ever needs to draw my attention to any administrative issues on the forum, please feel free to use the "Report" button on any post. The "Report" button gives you a chance to attach a message to any post on the forum. You can use the message to make any requests that you'd like (merge a topic, make corrections, etc). I see them as soon as I log on.

If you ever need anything more urgently than that, please don't hesitate to just give me a call. : )