U.S. Hang Gliding Pilots

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jim Hobson
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:32 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Jim's nephew will be looking for items that may interest the hang gliding world about Jim.
Jim had one brother, no sister.

SPECULATIVE NOTES:
1. Internet has :
Company Name: HOBO PRODUCTIONS, INC.
Entity Type: Corporation California file: C0524727
Filing State: California (CA)
Company Age: 46 Years
Principal Address: (available)

Registered Agent:
Owen W Strange
Address: (available)

PRESIDENT
James Hobson
(Bel Air, CA)
address: (available)

Five years after he showed the world his Rogallo hang glider craft, the Hobo Productions, Inc. was formed, a for-profit corporation. The corporation has been dissolved after 46 years of existence.
I wonder if lawyer Owen W Strange was told of Jim's hang gliding adventures? [ ]
Mr. Strange has passed in 2012: http://www.ranchosantafereview.com/2012 ... w-strange/

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:37 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Source:
http://www.welkmusicalfamily.com/oldfavorites3.html "PAGE THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE WELK STARS FROM YESTERYEAR"

SOME QUOTES OF JIM ABOUT HIS EARLY WORK:
(scroll down the page to section: "Jim Hobson"
http://library.ndsu.edu/grhc/history_cu ... years.html

:arrow: Correction of note in former post: I do not yet know if Jim had any sisters. However, he had just one brother. The brother is the father of Surtees James.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:26 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
NASA-related John Worth, your uncle Jim Hobson, UK's Tony Prentice, and Barry Hill Palmer, Mike Burns and a handful of professional aviation-company engineers have legacy in the pre-1963 time period of showing the mechanical arts of the four-boom flexible-wing parasol hang glider to the degree that no fair valid "inventor" could rightfully merit such title after such legacy of pre-1963. Your uncle starkly showed his hang glider to national television audiences and to Experimental Aircraft Association members/readers; and he exercised flight at Dockweiler Beach dunes in 1962 using foot launching. We hope from you and yours any matter related to all this; Jim was a pioneered in using known technology into hobby recreational sport foot-launch hang gliding; he tinkered together his own hang glider(s?) and shared such adventure with others.
~JpF, April 29, 2013, to Jim's nephew.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again Joe!
Uncle Jim's production company (Hobo Productions Inc) will be resurrected by myself and will continue to develop media productions concepts.
The 'On-Line' name I go by is Surtees James (a very old family name)...but I was named by my father (Jim's Brother, John) in honor of Jim (or James).
So my name really is James S Hobson (Jim did not have a middle name, odd but all of the Hobson's did. The family name traces back to Surtees Wilkenson of Wilkenson Sword fame.
You are correct that it's only the two sons (James, oldest and John my dad, youngest by three years). Jim and John's father was a brillant engineer in his own right as he held numerous patents from the Union Switch and Signal Co for designing the railroad's switch and signal systems. He (grandpa John Sr) was also CEO of Massy Concrete (Ready-Mix) so you can see where the 'boys' got their engineering chops.
I just purchased a web domain to honor them all (the eight most recent Hobson men). It will be at http://WWW.TheHobsonBoys.info
I''ll let you know when it will be up. I hope to post details, histories etc of all eight of them (including myself and son Conner).
Feel free to post-email any quesstions, comments you may have and all do my best to answer them when I can.
Again thank you for your kind comments....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:08 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Jim,

Thanks very much for posting and for the link to your site. I look forward to its unveiling when you get it completed.

Please feel free to post links to these pages where Joe does such good work in remembering those who pioneered the sport.

Thanks to both of you!!!

Sincerely,
Bob Kuczewski

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:14 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UU ... mquDrGF5QA

Quote:
"About Coffee Dog Productions
Coffee Dog Productions is a full service music production founded by Ashley Aarons and James Hobson (Director - Lawrence Welk Show). Fully staffed with musicians, performers, engineers, arrangers and mixers. This state of the art studio is currently home to the development of various projects including the new musical, Dance Myself Free, and a license catalog of hundreds of songs."

Photo of Jim on left at
https://www.facebook.com/CoffeeDogProductions

Memorial service at noon on Otto Lilienthal's birthday!
memorial service on Thursday, May 23rd at 12:00 noon at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills in the Old North Church

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:20 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Surviving spouse: Ashley Aarons
Partner with Jim on Coffee Dog Productions.

Fun look at later-era Jim:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8725_n.jpg Liking donuts.

A few other photos of Jim at
https://www.facebook.com/CoffeeDogProdu ... tos_stream

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:26 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:51 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Photo of Jim

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:53 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Ashley,
Our missing him cannot measure to yours. Peace to you.

Some notes on his hang gliding:
1. He seems to have been the first in the modern hang gliding renaissance to have used Dockweiler Beach with a Rogallo hang glider of four-boom make and use (closely) of the triangle control frameworks (but adapted for Jim's immediate foot-lauch-type use) as found earlier in NASA-related John Worth's constructions for NASA, but Jim's into footlaunch recreational sport hang gliding in 1962. For such we hail him as a top pioneer in the sport of hang gliding.

He shared his project in an episode of Lawrence Welk Show. I have not seen the episode, but it is available to be seen in archives in Los Angeles or Hollywood area. It would be neat if clips could be had of that episode made into stills and posted on the Internet; your connections might achieve that and posted perhaps for the world in YouTube; he deserves to be more known for such priority. Perhaps enlarged stills could show at the memorial for Jim's friends and family.

2. His project was with one photo in Sport Aviation of the Experimental Aircraft Association in 1962 in one of their issues. I clipped from the magazine and have shown that photo.

We do not know the backyard...apparently with pool, that had that photo taken. Maybe you can confirm that address.

2. We have no photographs of Jim, but are hoping his scrapbook....that he had... still exists. And we hope he or his friends or family had taken photos of his hang gliding pursuits.

3. My total information and image collection is being posted in the topic thread at US Hawks:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1185 which you may view and use in any way you wish.

4. You may or may not have recognized, that the memorial planned is on Otto Lilienthal's birthday, for us very special and appropriate for how we see Jim's pioneering inputs to modern foot launch hang gliding.

Otto Lilienthal
Otto Lilienthal was a German pioneer of aviation who became known as the Glider King. He was the first person to make well-documented, repeated, successful gliding flights. Wikipedia
Born: May 23, 1848, Anklam
Died: August 10, 1896, Berlin
Spouse: Agnes Fischer
Siblings: Gustav Lilienthal

5. I am herein copying four leaders in the modern sport of hang gliding. Two are especially focused on historical matters. One is our flying-site saint and steward of the site where Jim inaugurated his test flying at Dockweiler Beach. And one is an aeronautical engineer and founder of U.S. Hawks. Joe Greblo was given some materials from Jim; and Jim last visited our hang gliding scene by visiting Joe Greblo in Sylmar, CA, but less than two years ago.

6. Anything that we may know of Jim through you will be treasured. We wish to help carry his positive legacy into the annals of hang glding history. Jim visited my hang gliding publishing office many times in the first couple years of the 1970s.

Soon,
Best to you, Ashley,
Sincerely,
Joe Faust

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next