Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: 41st Anniversary Otto Meet Planned for May 23 2012

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu May 24, 2012 12:51 pm

It was a great day, but we missed both you (Neil Larson) and Joe Faust.

The pilot turnout wasn't as good as last year ("41st" doesn't sound as impressive as "40th"?). But on the bright side, the community response (supported by the Newport Beach Historical Society) was great. Bill Liscomb gave an excellent presentation followed by a slide show put on by John Heiney. I don't know how many people attended, but it might have been around 50 or more.

The best part was that hang gliding finally got it's rightful place in Newport Beach history. What started out as a bunch of free spirits on a hill has ended up taking center stage in the prestigious "Balboa Pavilion" sponsored by the Newport Beach Historical Society.    :thumbup:

The sport of hang gliding owes a big thanks (or, more properly, another big thanks) to people like Joe Faust and Neil Larson and Bill Liscomb and Frank Colver who have worked to ensure that this phase of man's dream to fly is always remembered. Thanks to all of you!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sincerely,
Bob Kuczewski
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu May 24, 2012 1:58 pm

"Bob K,---
---another big thanks) to people like Joe Fault and ---" :eh: :eh: :shh: :shifty: :wtf:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu May 24, 2012 2:13 pm

billcummings wrote:"Bob K,---
---another big thanks) to people like Joe Fault and ---"

Dang speel checkers. They don't know "faust" from "fault".

For the record, I had spelled Joe's name as "Joe Fault" rather than "Joe Faust", and Bill corrected me. I've fixed it for posterity.

Thanks for catching that Bill!!!    :oops:    :thumbup:    :clap:
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Thu May 24, 2012 8:08 pm

For the record I also spoke at the banquet. After Bill's Big Blue Sky and before John's slide show.

I asked Gordy Grundy (NBHS), after the evening event was over, how many were there and he said about 70. One older lady had seen the history marker stone in the park and attended the banquet to learn more about it. How about that :!:

Frank Colver
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu May 24, 2012 11:46 pm

bobk wrote:Bill Liscomb gave an excellent presentation followed by a slide show put on by John Heiney.

fcolver wrote:For the record I also spoke at the banquet. After Bill's Big Blue Sky and before John's slide show.

You are correct Frank. I had even posted pictures of you speaking, but I forgot to mention it in the text. Sorry. :oops:

fcolver wrote:I asked Gordy Grundy (NBHS), after the evening event was over, how many were there and he said about 70. One older lady had seen the history marker stone in the park and attended the banquet to learn more about it. How about that :!:

That was pretty cool. I didn't think the marker was prominent enough to draw attention, but I guess some people know that park very well. I remember her, and she seemed very enthusiastic about the event!!
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Neil Larson » Fri May 25, 2012 4:29 pm

First - no need to ex- plane , In some circles you have stumbled upon the quintessential faux pas...that is to say "JOE FAULT" ... I know when the final chapter has been written in the big book, Joe Faust will indeed be the true historic epicenter of more than 50% of the dynamic force pushed through since 1970 to bring forth the fruit we know as Hang Gliding. Pity that we have to contend with such egos as prop up some abysmal kite maker in Australia... when the facts obviously focus so much is owed to Mister Faust - anyway there needs to be a nick name category to allow for Joe Fault... no disrespect intended , but Joe knows me well enough to appreciate the proverbial inside joke Bob Kuczewski inadvertently produced . And the 2012 Joe Fault award this year goes to .....
-

Second ... Kudos to all who made the effort to attend , from Bob K. & Frank Colver dusting off the impressive fine Granite stone marker to all the smiling faces who took a running leap down the grass at San Miguel Park in Little Hawk, I would like the names of those who ran as Joe Faust has designated a new category in the art of Hang Glider training...he calls it "Wing-Running"
I never expected the City of Newport Beach to respond so proudly with allowing a most elaborate Dinner to be given at the Harborside Grand Ballroom at the Balboa Pavilion , For those who read this blog and have no reference to what this is... I can tell you there were Ball Rooms back in the last Century built for public banquets & Social Celebrations & among other things , the performing arts of Swing Jazz & Big Bands. I am humbled to know that the Balboa Ball Room was given the distinction of being the venue for our 41st Anniversary Event...Thank You Newport Beach.

-
Thrid ... I would publicly like to use this forum to give a most sincere apology to Mr. & Mrs Burke & Sue Ellen Ewing, they had confirmed a reservation or otherwise "R.S.V.P." to my Facebook "Otto Meet Reunion Event" , some how I feel responsible because I got a message that they made the trip but did not find anyone when they arrived at San Miguel Park...I am saddened that Burke missed the group as he is especially a righteous part of the early evolution of Hang Gliding in Southern California - as a side note next year will mark the 40th Anniversary of the Tandem Hang Gliding Team of Burke Ewing & His Super Dog Curtis!
-
Fourth -I hope the future of this Hang Glider Hall of Fame Celebrity Reunion continues , next year. You realize every major sport has it's Hall of Fame . Or to put it another way every hooby has it's place of origin... Clarksdale Mississippi, is the birthplace of the blues-they have a Blues Hall of Fame there - For Baseball it's , the National Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum in Cooperstown, NY.
You know we could well see Newport Beach Become the Hall of Fame (Center) Birthplace of Hang Gliding ! Wouldn't that be something?
Well i've used up my 2 cents here for now thank you everyone who has contributed to the wonderful sport of hang gliding in your own unique way.
Sincerely Yours
Neil Larson , USHPA / USHGA / SCHGA charter member #24 .......
From Day One
Neil Larson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Neil Larson » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:06 pm

------------ * designates * attended original "first" hang glider contest Otto Meet on May 23 1971
From Day One
Neil Larson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:09 am

By the way, in case it hasn't been posted yet, I wanted to note Neil Larson's contribution to the history of Newport Beach:

http://newportbeachhistorical.com/uncategorized/modern-sport-hang-gliding-first-happened-in-newport-beach

Great Job Neil!!!     :clap: :wave: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Previous
Forum Statistics