Activity

Forum for SW Texas Hang Gliders Club - Southwest Texas

Activity

Postby Felixx68 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:47 am

Hi SW Texas Hang Gliders,

New to the sport but not new to the area or flying in general. Anybody still flying around here? I’m in Lubbock Texas but it seems there has been activity in SE NM, SW TX, and even as far west as Big Springs Texas, cool! Currently looking for further instruction and maybe even a tow site or something near-ish me. Also, curious if the SW Texas group has any sort of club or association I should join? Thanks for any help you can give. I’ll continue to drag through the awesome posts on these forums.

:D
Felixx68
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Activity

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:18 pm

Felixx68 wrote:Hi SW Texas Hang Gliders,

New to the sport but not new to the area or flying in general. Anybody still flying around here? I’m in Lubbock Texas but it seems there has been activity in SE NM, SW TX, and even as far west as Big Springs Texas, cool! Currently looking for further instruction and maybe even a tow site or something near-ish me. Also, curious if the SW Texas group has any sort of club or association I should join? Thanks for any help you can give. I’ll continue to drag through the awesome posts on these forums.

:D

Try to get to the Columbus Day celebration with the RGSA (Rio Grande Soaring Association) this weekend. There are lots of good pilots and good people in that club. Hopefully you'll make some friends in the sport and that will lead to contacts and flying.

It's sad what has happened to the sport of hang gliding. There was a time when instructors were popping up everywhere, but USHPA "institutionalized" instruction, and now there are fewer and fewer. Rick Masters said it as well as I've ever heard it:

Rick Masters wrote:People talk about the sport of hang gliding dying. It's not dying. It's being murdered. By the U$hPA.

If you want to fly, you may have to be the nucleus of your own local resurrection of the sport. Form a club. Talk it up. If you bring together enough people, something will come of it. We will help in almost any way that we can. Just let us know what you plan to do and how we might be able to contribute.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Felixx68 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:11 pm

Thanks Bob. Fantastic! Are they doing it at Dry canyon? I will swing by the other forum and drop a note. Thanks!
Felixx68
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:46 pm

Felixx68 wrote:Are they doing it at Dry canyon?

I think so ... conditions permitting. I might be able to get you a phone number if no one else chimes in.

I was really hoping to go, but I have a trial coming up in early November, and I really need to give it more attention.

Have fun!!
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Felixx68 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:39 pm

Contacted a couple of people going. Packing up tomorrow and heading out. Also found this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fpb ... sp=sharing
:thumbup:
Felixx68
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Felixx68 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:40 pm

Got some training in with Mel, Rich, and James in Albuquerque today! Fantastic! I see a path forward now! Thank you guys!
:D :thumbup:
Felixx68
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:19 pm

Felixx68 wrote:Got some training in with Mel, Rich, and James in Albuquerque today! Fantastic! I see a path forward now! Thank you guys!
:D :thumbup:

That's great!!!

I met Mel and his son (Charlie?) nearly a decade ago when they were visiting Torrey Pines in San Diego.

I think you'll be in good hands. Please keep us updated with your progress, and post any pictures from your flying adventures.   :thumbup:

Welcome to the greatest sport on earth ... or slightly above it.   :wave:
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Return to SW Texas Hang Gliders Forum