Installing Hang Gliding Display at Curtiss Museum

South Central New York Hang Glider Pilots' Association

Installing Hang Gliding Display at Curtiss Museum

Postby wingspan33 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:05 pm

Hello Everybody,

Today a hang glider pilot friend of mine Jeff Ingersoll and I began work toward creating a hang gliding display at the Glen Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, NY. I took a couple pictures today of us making a standard hang glider look like the sail is actually in flight mode - with the sail inflated - while it is statically suspended from the ceiling. Tomorrow (10/23/19) we will continue with our work. That includes putting a dummy in the seated harness of the standard. We will also be installing a more modern double surface glider with a dummy flying in the prone position. I'll be doing my best to photo document the process as we move along. It's a bit late tonight to put up the two photos I took today. But added to the photos I take tomorrow, they will make better sense.
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Installing Hang Gliding Display at Crutiss Museum

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:12 pm

WOW SCOTT!!!!

That is super cool!!!!      8-)

Please post some photos as soon as you can!!!!!!!      :thumbup:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Installing Hang Gliding Display at Curtiss Museum

Postby SamKellner » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Good Job Scott !
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:30 pm

Today Jeff Ingersoll and I made some serious progress. That means, making a 1970s Standard hang glider look like it was actually flying. We also set up an Airwave K4 that Jeff has donated for the hang gliding display. On Friday we will suspend both gliders from the ceiling and put dummies into the swing seat on the Standard and in a prone harness on the Airwave glider.

Here are some pictures from today's efforts -

Standart at Curtiss Museum1 sm 10-23-19.jpg
Standart at Curtiss Museum1 sm 10-23-19.jpg (52.49 KiB) Viewed 6871 times

Standart at Curtiss Museum2 sm 10-23-19.jpg
Standart at Curtiss Museum2 sm 10-23-19.jpg (60.75 KiB) Viewed 6871 times

Standart at Curtiss Museum3 sm 10-23-19.jpg
Standart at Curtiss Museum3 sm 10-23-19.jpg (63.5 KiB) Viewed 6871 times

Airwave K4 + Standard at Curtiss Museum1 sm 10-23-19.jpg
Airwave K4 + Standard at Curtiss Museum1 sm 10-23-19.jpg (59.36 KiB) Viewed 6871 times

Airwave K4 + Standard at Curtiss Museum2  sm 10-23-19.jpg
Airwave K4 + Standard at Curtiss Museum2 sm 10-23-19.jpg (60.78 KiB) Viewed 6871 times
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:54 pm

Very nice work!!!

Jeff did a spectacular job of engineering the sail billow for a static display.

Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:43 am

Well Bob, not to toot my own horn but the static sail billow engineering was about 50-50. Jeff had an idea then I had an idea etc., etc. I think Jeff and I make a pretty good team.

BTW - Jeff regularly volunteers at the Museum. He and a few other people are currently working to restore a Curtiss P-40. The P-40 was used mainly as a trainer. Back in 1945 two of them collided over the everglades and went down. The wreckage of the two planes was recovered and the Curtiss Museum got them. The two are being used to make one.
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:43 pm

Good work on the display guys. :salute:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:05 am

Here are some pictures from yesterday's efforts. Sadly the lift broke down before we could raise the DeltaWing Standard to its final position above the floor.

Airwave K4 + Standard at Curtiss Museum3 sm  10-23-19.jpg
Airwave K4 + Standard at Curtiss Museum3 sm 10-23-19.jpg (75.31 KiB) Viewed 6824 times

Airwave K4 + Standard at Curtiss Museum4  sm 10-23-19.jpg
Airwave K4 + Standard at Curtiss Museum4 sm 10-23-19.jpg (76.8 KiB) Viewed 6824 times

Placing pilot in K4  sm 10-25-19.jpg

Pilot is in the K4  sm 10-25-19.jpg
Pilot is in the K4 sm 10-25-19.jpg (72.43 KiB) Viewed 6824 times

Hippie Pilot placed in Standard  sm 10-25-19.jpg

Close up of Hippie Pilot  sm 10-25-19.jpg
Close up of Hippie Pilot sm 10-25-19.jpg (60.71 KiB) Viewed 6824 times

Hopefully on Monday the lift will be fixed and Jeff and I can finish the installation of the Hang Gliding display.
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:20 am

Great work Scott and Jeff!!!

It's authentic right down to the tie-dye shirt on the "hippie hang glider pilot".

Hippie_Hang_Glider.jpg
Hippie_Hang_Glider.jpg (104.67 KiB) Viewed 6815 times
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:54 pm

Hello Everybody! Today Monday 10/28 Jeff Ingersoll and I finished installing the old Standard hang glider from the mid 1970s as well as the more current Airwave K4 hang glider.

Here are some pictures I took today -

Final HG Set Up1  sm 10-28-19.jpg
Final HG Set Up1 sm 10-28-19.jpg (63.28 KiB) Viewed 6792 times

Final HG Set Up2  sm 10-28-19.jpg
Final HG Set Up2 sm 10-28-19.jpg (83.48 KiB) Viewed 6792 times
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to SoCenNY Hang Glider Pilots