Re: Joe's motion to restrict "hawk891"

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:02 pm

I have carried out the action of the Board.

The user known as hawk891 is now restricted to posting in the free speech zone. Anyone wishing to continue the discussion there is welcome to do so.

Thanks to the Board for quick action in this troublesome case.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Free » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:06 pm

hawk891 is probably Jack Axaopolous!
Who else would have such a Bob Derangement Syndrome?

While it has been entertaining, the entertainment value has definitely peaked for me.
It is good to work out the process for dealing with obvious trolls like this but my advice would be to streamline the process
so any board member could tamp down such disruption and distraction.
Free
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:31 am

Free wrote:hawk891 is probably Jack Axaopolous!
Who else would have such a Bob Derangement Syndrome?

I believe it's highly likely to be one of the people on the "Wall of Shame". Jack Axaopolous was at the top of that list, but he wasn't alone. The arguments seemed closest to those offered by Michael Grisham.

Free wrote:While it has been entertaining, the entertainment value has definitely peaked for me.
It is good to work out the process for dealing with obvious trolls like this but my advice would be to streamline the process so any board member could tamp down such disruption and distraction.

That's a good idea. In our system of law, the police can arrest you with less evidence than required to convict you. The arrest is an immediate halt to the activity, but it comes with a guarantee of a day in court. However, even that system can be abused such as in San Diego where I was arrested 3 times with no charges ever filed. So we do have to ensure that whatever we do can't be abused.

Mostly, I am very proud of the way that our real members and the Board conducted themselves. Joe had an immediate suspicion about hawk891, but we all let it play out according to the process we've set up. There's no doubt now that the U.S. Hawks has developed the most fair process for providing free speech among any of our national organizations (USHPA, hanggliding.org, or Oz). As with most advances in society, that achievement came from the people who were on the receiving end of the abuse. That's how the United States itself was formed, and I believe the people we have here on the U.S. Hawks would have been among the leaders of that revolution if they'd lived at that time. :salute:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:12 pm

I Vote   YES   ! Sorry I took so long.
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby magentabluesky » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Bump!