RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Weekend Weather

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Weekend Weather

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:58 am

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 19 through SUNDAY, OCTOBER 21:
I'm afraid that the flying is likely to be limited this weekend. Overall it's going to be cool (high temperatures in the 60's F) and, on Sunday, rainy. But there are some possibilities. On Friday we get light west winds in Alamogordo, light to moderate northeast in Las Cruces, and moderate east winds elsewhere. Saturday is bizarre: Strong east winds all over. Still dry but not especially sunny. On Sunday, moderate east winds in El Paso, Las Cruces and Deming, but light south in Alamogordo. There's a good chance of rain all over the area, though. Here's my recommendations: On Friday, think about Dry Canyon or La Luz, or Volcanic Peak near Las Cruces. Maybe Anapra near El Paso, or the Torrey Paso site. On Saturday, stay home - unless you want to fly Anapra early on. On Sunday, our odds for rain are pretty good, so it might be a good day to watch some football and fix up your equipment. This is a strange time for weather in our area, but, hey, we just DON'T turn down rain here in the desert. If it is dry on Sunday, think of Anapra and Torrey Paso, or Dry Canyon in Alamogordo. Better times for flying will be coming, so be safe if you get out on Friday, and keep the virtues of patience in mind the rest of the time.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:02 am

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26 through SUNDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2018:
This has been an interesting week for weather in our area. It might be traced to the powerful Hurricane Willa that hit southwest Mexico this week, and pushed moisture up into the US Southwest, producing a soaking on Tuesday night. But, unrelated, the jetstream is leaving us alone this weekend, and moving eastward with its southerly loop. We should see sunshine, warm temperatures in the low 70's, and light northerly winds all weekend. For Alamogordo and El Paso, light northwest on Friday, while Las Cruces and Deming get light north and northeast breezes. On Saturday, El Paso could see light west winds, while Alamogordo gets light northwest, Las Cruces N/NW, and Deming very light S/SW. On Sunday, the winds are almost calm. West/northwest in Alamogordo, N/NE in El Paso, E/NE in Las Cruces, very light east in Deming. So, for flying, here are my recommendations. On Friday we could try Volcanic Peak near Las Cruces, or the La Luz northwest launch. On Saturday PG's can try Agave Hill or Nelson's Launch in El Paso, or possibly the NW launch at La Luz, if there's enough wind to inflate the canopy. On Sunday, it looks like a good day for a hike, but I think the winds will be so calm that there's really nothing very good for foot launching in our area. I am hoping to fly at Volcanic Peak on Friday morning, with Bill Cummings and maybe some other pilots - give me a call if you want to join us! And by all means come to the quarterly RGSA meeting at the home of Bill and Terry Cummings on Saturday evening, about 7:00 pm, Food and good discussions provided free! 1501 Aspen Avenue, in Las Cruces.
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:53 am

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 2 through SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 4:
This should be a pleasant weekend, and flyable as well. Skies are supposed to be mostly clear and sunny, high temperatures in the 65 to 70 degree range. We might get a fast-moving rain early Sunday morning. Winds will be mostly light northwest around our area on Friday, stronger northwest on Saturday, but light southwest on Sunday. It looks to me like the La Luz NW launch will be the place to try on Friday and Saturday, though the Little Floridas might be launchable on Friday. (A little light for soaring.) On Sunday, it looks like Dry Canyon could be OK, and maybe Magdalena Rim and Nelson's Launch for paragliders. Wherever you go, it should be a pretty nice day. Be safe! I should be available Sunday afternoon, if anyone wants to fly somewhere that day.
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:58 am

FRIDAY, NOV. 9 through SUNDAY, NOV. 11, 2018:
The weather this weekend is going to be unsettled. It's going to be dry, and cooler, with high temperatures in the high 50's or low 60's Fahrenheit. Winds depend a good deal on where you are in the region. On Friday they will be light and variable in Alamogordo, but moderate to strong east elsewhere, especially strong in Deming. On Saturday, light southwest in Alamogordo, light southeast in El Paso, light E-SE in Deming and Las Cruces. On Sunday, light to moderate S-SW in Alamogordo, strong W-SW in El Paso (a bit lighter, later in the day) and strong west in Las Cruces and Deming. It looks like Alamogordo, both La Luz and Dry Canyon, could be our best bet for airtime this weekend. Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch might be good on Sunday for PG's late in the day, and Anapra on Friday, for HG and/or PG depending on the timing. Towing on the Exit 116 road, west of Las Cruces, could be good for HG later on Saturday. Dry Canyon should be launchable on Saturday and Sunday. All in all, this weekend will be a hard one to predict. I am free to fly on Friday and on Sunday, if anyone wants to take a try at it. Good luck and fly safe!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 pm

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 16 through SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 18:
This weekend is a lot easier to predict than the last one. It'll be dry, warmer (high temperatures 60 to 65 F) and pretty near calm. The jetstream is going to be in Canada, this time around. Friday is light southwest all over the place, Saturday light and westerly, Sunday light and southerly. Friday, most of our sites should be launchable - Dry Canyon, La Luz, Mag Rim, Little Floridas, Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch. Don't count on soaring, though. Being higher, Dry Canyon might be the best one to try. On Saturday the same should be the case, with Deming slightly stronger than the other sites - the Little Floridas might actually be soarable. On Sunday, being light and south (and more southeasterly in El Paso) Dry Canyon might be the only good place for a flight. Penetration sure won't be a problem this weekend! No blowouts... I will be unavailable, I'm afraid, but I should be available for some flying next week - which is our Thanksgiving week break for NMSU. If you fly, be safe!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:40 pm

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 22 through SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 25:
This is a weekend more like we expect in the autumn. Windy, reasonably warm, and dry. Temperatures should be in the 60's from Thursday through Saturday, and a little cooler on Sunday. The jetstream will be overhead from Thursday through Saturday, too, and finally leaving calmer conditions on Sunday. Winds on Thursday should be mostly southwest, light to moderate in strength. Dry Canyon, La Luz, Magdalena Rim and the Little Floridas should all be launchable. (It might be too southerly in direction for Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch in El Paso.) On Friday, things change considerably. We get strong north winds in Alamogordo, moderate W-NW in El Paso, moderate west in Las Cruces, and light to mderate west in Deming. La Luz is a blowout, Agave Hill might work, and the Little Floridas should be good that day. On Saturday, moderate S-SW in Alamogordo (Dry Canyon and La Luz should be OK) moderate to strong west in El Paso (go to Agave Hill or Nelson's Launch early) and a blowout in Las Cruces and Deming. On Sunday, it's moderate NW in Alamogordo, so La Luz NW launch should be a good bet. In El Paso, moderate E-NE, so maybe Torrey Paso will work - I wouldn't count on Anapra, with the crossing winds from the northeast. Light E-NE in Las Cruces, and Deming, so I don't see any good flying there. In summary, this should be a pretty decent flying weekend, but be in the right place at the right time. I am planning on taking Juan Mira to Mag Rim on Thursday, and then maybe to the Little Floridas on Friday. Let me know if you feel like joining us!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:07 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Robin and the RGSA!!

I hope everyone is thankful for your ongoing efforts to help us all ... fly!!
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:34 am

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 30 through SUNDAY, DECEMBER 2:
Well, this may not be our best flying weekend of the year. Expect strong winds and cloudiness, cooler temperatures, and the jetstream overhead. Friday will be a blowout, with strong west winds 20-30 mph all over the area. We might see rain in Alamogordo. On Saturday we get winds somewhat lighter, from the west about 15-20 mph. The exception is Alamogordo, where the winds may be 10-15 mph, a more reasonable speed. On Sunday the winds will be similar, but with a possibility of rain in Alamogordo. Probably dry everywhere else. My recommendations for flying this weekend are not real encouraging. It looks like hang gliding can take place at Dry Canyon and La Luz on Saturday, and Sunday, too, if there's no precipitation. Otherwise I don't see much chance. Will there be better flying afterwards? The winds go from howling, to almost calm after Monday. I'm available for some flying on Saturday afternoon if anyone wants to try it in Alamogordo. Otherwise, this looks like a weekend to head for the bunkers.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:54 pm

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 7 through SUNDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2018:
This will be an interesting weekend. Somewhat cool (high temperatures in the 50's F, or 11 C) and somewhat calm. But we should get good and wet on Friday. The rain moves out on Saturday and Sunday, but I wouldn't trust the Dry Canyon road those days. Winds? On Friday (when you'll be watching raindrops instead of aviators) we should see light NW in Alamogordo, light east and ESE everywhere else. Saturday the clouds should clear off. Light to moderate (about 10 mph on ground) in Alamogordo, thus making Dry unflyable but La Luz a possibility. The Little Floridas might also be launchable that day, with light SW winds. North and northwest winds, light, in El Paso and Las Cruces. On Sunday, we get light to moderate NW winds in Alamogordo - again making La Luz a player for a launch site - then light north in Las Cruces, light east at the Little Floridas, and very light north in El Paso. It looks like La Luz NW launch is again the only real foot-launch option that day. But at least it's dry... Bill Cummings and I may try Magdalena Rim tomorrow morning (Thursday, December 6) leaving his house about 9:00 am. Join us if you wish! Otherwise, think of La Luz for the rest of the time - if anything. It's still more flyable than a lot of the country, though!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:44 pm

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 13 through SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2018:
Well, folks, we're in for a beautiful weekend. But maybe not for flying. As I write this I wish I was at Volcanic Peak, because it's coming in hard from the N-NE. Starting Friday, though, the winds will be almost calm. We are in for a lovely, dry, calm weekend, if somewhat cloudy. High temperatures in the 50's F. Winds will be very light southwest all weekend in Alamogordo, so it might get flyable for PG's if there's enough wind to inflate. Pretty light for hang gliders, at less than 5 mph in the LZ. In El Paso, very light southwest on Friday, then very light east the rest of the weekend. Friday in Las Cruces is the same - maybe Mag Rim will be flyable for PG's, but I can't see soaring a hang glider there and then. The Little Floridas will see light east winds all weekend. My recommendation, if you want to try it, is Dry Canyon, where thermal cycles up the face might make it launchable - if the cloudiness allows for any. Towing at the Sod Farm is probably a very good bet this weekend - I think the winds will be cooperative there, if light. Good luck, and be safe.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association