RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Flying possibilities

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Flying possibilities Nov 1,2,3 Wed - Fri @ Gray Hill

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:12 pm

Mike has me looking at conditions for Gray Hill Camping/Flying on Nov, 1,2,3 -? Wed, Thu, Fri.
Night time lows are 38º and day time highs are 66º for those three days.
Wind WNW going WSW through the period.
Mike is thinking of bringing our 185 Eagle and I'm bringing our 195 Falcon,
Go to the Gray Hill forum and check out the weather links if you too are thinking about camping/flying at Gray Hill next week.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Flying possibilities, Gray Hill, Nov., 1st ,2nd, 3rd.

Postby Bill Cummings » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:59 pm

On Sunday night 9:50 pm things are still looking favorable for camping/flying at Gray Hill (Reference the Gray Hill thread.)
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/nm/magdalena/KNMNEWME10?cm_ven=localwx_10day
For all three days the highs will be 66º and lows will be 38º.
For Wed. and Thu. winds 15 going 12 mph WNW. For Fri winds 7 to 10 mph SW.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flying possibilities, Gray Hill, Nov., 1st ,2nd, 3rd.

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:12 pm

Bill Cummings wrote:On Sunday night 9:50 pm things are still looking favorable for camping/flying at Gray Hill (Reference the Gray Hill thread.)
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/nm/magdalena/KNMNEWME10?cm_ven=localwx_10day
For all three days the highs will be 66º and lows will be 38º.
For Wed. and Thu. winds 15 going 12 mph WNW. For Fri winds 7 to 10 mph SW.

Still looking good for Gray Hill. Less north and more west Wed Thu. Temp forecast holding, Friday more west than SW wind.
I'm still hopeful and am planning to go.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Flying possibilities, Volcanic Peak Sat. 18, 2017

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:09 pm

Buzz, Bill and Sebastien will be headed for Volcanic Peak:
http://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2638
VP.JPG
VP.JPG (37.34 KiB) Viewed 8319 times

The plan is to meet at my place at 09:00 Sat. and head out whether flyable or not and fly or not anyway.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flying possibilities Dry Canyon 2/29/18

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:46 pm

I'll be driving to Robin's house tomorrow at 8:20 am to go to the Cox Field LZ (Griggs Sports Complex) by 10:00 am.
We are planning to take H2 Jaun Mira up to the La Luz launch. There is a SW launch mound there although the main rim faces west. I've been looking at Windyty and they are showing SW at 8 to 10 mph between noon and 3:00pm.
:wave: :thumbup:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flying possibilities

Postby RobinHastings » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:48 pm

Saturday, September 29, 2018:
Things went very well today! Bill and I got to Cox Field exactly at 10:00 am, and in a couple of minutes Juan Mira showed up with his friends Leslie (who lives in Alamogordo) and Maritsa (sp?) who also goes to University of the Southwest in Hobbs. (She and Juan are on the tennis team there, Leslie used to be before graduation.) We went to the La Luz landing zone, pointed out the power lines to Juan, and headed up to launch. I took off about 12:35 pm MDT into perfect conditions - southwest winds, right up the slope, 12-15 mph. I went up a bit, got bumped a bit but nothing bad, and headed out to the LZ so that I could be there to radio Juan on in. Bill stayed on launch to make sure Juan had a perfect takeoff, at 12:43, and within the first minute I could see that Juan was going to be just fine. Like me, he had a 3-minute sled run (my estimate) and a perfect landing. Great first flight in New Mexico! He loved it, and everyone back on launch was well impressed. We'll see what we can do tomorrow, too. It looks like we have an excellent new Hang 2 in our region!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Flying possibilities Tuesday Dec. 11, 2018

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:38 pm

This evening is the 10th but tomorrow on the 11th is looking doable at Mag Rim.
Robin will be at my house at 11:00am.
It looks light enough for PG and maybe too light for HG but Robin is going to fly his HG
if things look right.
I'm just going to assist because I'm pounding down Benadryl for either a allergy attack
from the house renovation or I'm getting a cold.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:39 pm

Well the Mag Rim flight above was a three minute sled ride. Go check out the video on the Mag Rim thread but don't blink.
Tomorrow I'll try to get my GoPro on Robin's glider for his launch at Dry Canyon. I have to be at his house at 10:00am.
We should be in the LZ at 11:30am. 45 minutes to drive up to launch and then be all set up and ready to step off the ramp at 7,000'msl by 1:00pm. So that gives you two different times and places to thumb a ride up to launch. :thumbup:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Flying possibilities Sat. 12/ 29/ 2018

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:19 pm

RGSA/Hawks
Volcanic Peak conditions for today are showing strong for HG, cold for everything, with a wind chill factor in the high twenties.
Using the word, "high," when talking about temperatures (Fahrenheit) in the twenties sounds a little oxymoronic. (apparently that's not a
real word according to spell checker.)
I have snow on the ground here in SW Las Cruces, New Mexico (USA). There hasn't been a lot of rain/snow so the road out to Volcanic Peak
might be good.
The fact that it's cold should guarantee good passage allowing Mother Nature to freeze off a posterior portion of your anatomy. That's just
how it works.
If several pilots go then for sure it will blow out at launch after everyone has completed their preflight. So only one to two pilots
should go to have any good chance of freezing your fingers while gripping the control bar in flight. Conditions allowing much airtime will
be at their record setting best on a cold day like today.
Once again here is a situation where a better idea is in order. Here again is that better idea:
Pour a stiff brandy, pull a chair up close to the living room fire place, and pound your ten toes flat with a hammer.
Volcanic Peak.JPG
Volcanic Peak.JPG (43.83 KiB) Viewed 6698 times
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association