Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: Safe-Splat

Postby reluctantsparrow » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:32 am

Snapshot_97.png
Full flare extension....my shoulders never "bottomed out" on the risers....perfect no step landing
Snapshot_97.png (435.05 KiB) Viewed 9315 times
Three flight shots totally out of sequence, I can not figure out how to arrange them in proper order..
1. Full flare to a perfect "no step" landing
2. take off
3. rocked up and ready to flare

So yes, Peter Jamtgaards idea works great....now just invent "joints" to connect "phalanges" that can be sheathed in tubular webbing....and it should feel, take off, and land just like a perfectly adjusted prone harness.....
Attachments
Snapshot_95.png
take off....and yes, I ran over all those sticks and rocks to get airborne...welcome to the NW
Snapshot_95.png (535.82 KiB) Viewed 9315 times
Snapshot_96.png
rocked upright and ready to flare
Snapshot_96.png (439.4 KiB) Viewed 9315 times
reluctantsparrow
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:01 am

I like your"phalanges" idea. They would have to have lot of strength so weight could be a problem.

When we first started hang gliding with swing seats we didn't even have a spreader between the risers above our heads. I still remember squeezing my helmented head between the straps when launching and landing. Eventually we all put a spreader bar between the hang straps.

BTW - When you are down here, in April, and we're working on your harness, I have a mill, lathe, and other metal working tools in my shop in Cosat Mesa if we need to machine a part or cut and bend any sheet metal.

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:31 pm

reluctantsparrow wrote:I flew yesterday with the "proof of concept" suprone harness I built last week and referred to in a previous post. Found a small beach to test it on. Ran fine, launched fine, Flared fantastic without having to "rotate" through the risers.....I just ran off a twenty foot high hill (no time for "rotating" arms through the risers) and performed a full flare, stand up landing with plenty of room between the shoulders and the risers to do so. My flare was a full, "flare like an angel" body extension and I did not experience any restrictions on my movement. In fact, I noticed as I "held" the flare and dropped in to a perfect, no step landing that there was still a good couple of inches between my shoulders and the risers....a very successful test..getting closer all the time!

Here is a swing seat I made that allowed me more flare authority. I also put on stops to limit travel.
swing seat with pulleys for flaring..JPG
swing seat with pulleys for flaring..JPG (29.27 KiB) Viewed 9236 times
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 am

Prof. Dr. Markus Raffel
Head Department of Helicopters
Bunsenstraße 10, D-37073 Goettingen
Germany

He was at Dockweiler in first quarter of 2018 with his replica of the Otto Lilienthal monoplane normal glider Normalsegelapparat. The clip features safe-splat skis that might not have been used by Otto Lilienthal. Markus glided from top of Dockweiler bluff to the bottom of the bluff.
Attachments
Markus2018DockweilerOttoLilienthalNormalGliderReplicaSafeSplatSkis.JPG
Markus2018DockweilerOttoLilienthalNormalGliderReplicaSafeSplatSkis.JPG (21.31 KiB) Viewed 8984 times
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby reluctantsparrow » Thu May 17, 2018 8:37 am

Interesting that while I was experimenting with "forward" solutions. Kenny Brown was experimenting with a 'rearward" solution. I am now in contact with Kenny Brown. I have asked a few questions such as how his rearward "hoops" performed during the launch sequence. Did the "hoops" bang into the back of the pilots head as he ran? etc. etc.
I also showed Kenny the pictures of my "forward solution" and how risers broken down into small "phalange" type joints could be used on both my forward solution and Kennys rearward solution.....However.....the "soft solution" we came up with at High Energy Sports two weeks ago is really going to solve 95% of the problems I have encountered with Suprone...it really is...and without all the bulk and complications of the forward and rearward rigid or "semi-rigid" solutions....
Even if these other "solutions" were refined and readily available I would still, at this point in time, choose the "soft" solution to fly with.
Here is a pic of Kenny Browns rearward "rigid" solution...
Attachments
Kenny B harness.jpg
Kenny B harness.jpg (25.84 KiB) Viewed 8973 times
reluctantsparrow
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:26 am

ARP sent me a neat circa 1976 -1977 article with a wing that seems to have a nose wheel on it.
We've had skid plates at the nose. Notice also the towing plan for the wing.
Interesting picture with what looks like an anti whack wheel on the nose of the glider...….
Tony
http://www.samolotypolskie.pl/samoloty/ ... ezowa-SMT2

See the several photos.
http://www.samolotypolskie.pl/samoloty/14248/126/Lotnia-Mlodego-Technika-lotnia-mlodziezowa-SMT2

Thank you, Tony! :clap: :salute: :wave:

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:09 pm

[caption] Lotnia Młodych Technika. The first take-off of 12-year-old Szymon at Gocław airport. (Source: Młody Technik No. 3/1977).

In 1976, members of the Inventors ' Club at the House of Young Techniques in Warsaw built, under the supervision of MSc. Andrzej Moldenhaver , a few hang-gliders - referred to as "SMT youth hang-gliders" . By design, they were a very safe hang-glider that would allow young people under 16 to try out forces in hang gliding. At the same time, the construction of the hang glider was to be a model for elective courses in schools in the field of technology and sport.

As a result of various lessons learned from the hang glider, a method was developed for the initial and interesting learning of flying, and at the same time pleasurable fun in the open air. It was a flight on the lobby with side belaying at the same time. Such a flight is possible with a not too strong wind on flat terrain (a big advantage, because the major part of our country is a plain). Four people were needed to tow the hang gliders, which, without too much fatigue, could pull the hang glider on the line at a distance of 30-50 m.

In order to prevent slippage in the side of the hang glider, which in the case of a lack of flight by the pilot performing his first flights usually leads to a rollover, two belaying links attached to two sides of the glider. The links, held in the hands of two running helpers, prevented the glider from rising too high and prevented it from tilting. In this way, a simple system of towing flights was created, in which the pilot rose to a height of 4- 5 m, and at the same time the hang glider was protected against wind gusts and lateral inclinations.

Lotnia was presented during the show of hang gliders on Górka Szcześliwicka in Warsaw, which took place on May 23, 1906. In November this year a flight show for representatives of the Ministry of Education and Education from Schools and Physical Education Department was organized at the Aeroklub Warszawskie - organized by the Young's editors Technika i Stacja Młodych Technika in Warsaw. This demonstration was a proposition of a new form of technical and movement classes for youth in schools. He used the mini-patch to 11-year-old Szymon Moldenhawer, fifth grade student.

In March 1977, the Young Technik magazine published plans to build a "youth hang-glider . " In the same year, students of the High School for them. The People's Aviation Polish in Warsaw built a hang glider according to published plans. In February 1978, three female students and four students, the creators of the flying hoppers, underwent an initial training, which took place at Gubałówka near Zakopane. They completed 56 flights in which safe training methods were developed and improved. Despite the difficult weather conditions, the exercises were successful, 3 boys and girls even reached a higher level of initiation by making flights of length up to 200 m at a height of 2-3 m.

In the summer of 1978, the same hang-glider was used to train the scouts from Chorągwia Katowicka gathered at a special scientific camp in the Częstochowsko-Krakowska Jura near Korczyce. Many people who were willing to fly, after experiencing the first emotion, resigned from further exercises. Maybe because of the hard work at the ropes, or maybe they said it was not for them . Some, however, trained furiously. Some quickly caught flying , others had to repeat the exercise many times. There were also those who hung helplessly under the hang glider until the end of the exercises. In total, over 160 flights were made, with no injuries to trained scouts and damage to hang gliders.

During the training at Lotnia Młodych Technika, several teachers from nearby high schools were present (some of them were also completely unprepared). They expressed their desire to build hang gliders in their schools. Many scouts also caught fire on flying and building hang gliders. No information about the construction of further copies of "youth hang-gliders".

Construction :
The skeleton of hang gliders consisted of two leading edges, a girder, a keel, a mast and a tiller. Made of duralumin tubes: leading edges - PA 7G; N ø 40 x 1.5, girder and kilo- PA 6 ø 45 x 1 or ø 45 x 1.5, mast and control gear - PA 7G; N ø 30 x 1.5 and PA 6 ø 32 x 1.5. For easier transport, it was possible to divide the aerial skeleton tubes - then the length of the hang glider was obtained after folding approx. 3 m. The skeleton stiffened with the system of lower and upper pull rods. On the front of the hang glider and on the controls, additional wheels or (winter) skis were used.
One-sided cover (tergal, torlen, dacron or ortalion). .
Harness adapted for flights in a sitting position.

Technical data Lotnia Młodych Technika (according to [1]):
Span - approx. 9 m, length - approx. 5.9 m, supporting surface - approx. 20 (according to [3] - 12) m 2 .
Curb weight - approx. 20 (according to [3] - 12) kg, pilot mass - up to 40 kg.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:26 pm

JoeF wrote:Prof. Dr. Markus Raffel
Germany

He was at Dockweiler in first quarter of 2018 with his replica of the Otto Lilienthal monoplane normal glider Normalsegelapparat. The clip features safe-splat skis that might not have been used by Otto Lilienthal. Markus glided from top of Dockweiler bluff to the bottom of the bluff.

More and recent:
SafeSplatSkiOnFrongFlyingWire.JPG
SafeSplatSkiOnFrongFlyingWire.JPG (13.02 KiB) Viewed 7528 times

Some towing of his replica Otto Lilienthal biplane
https://www.facebook.com/BR24/videos/2039523012764607/

Markus.Raffel@dlr.de
11:06 AM (1 hour ago)
to tony.prentice1, eric.littledike, me, norman.daniela.bernschneider, philip.jarrett, popsfrannie, donliddard, rolylewis-evans, motoklas, andrewkeyte, boivair, mohan.kannan.m, plchampness, michael-platzer, peter.f.selinger, simines, hellmutpenner, jonathan.howes

Dear all,

That is great! I didn‘t even know this one.
There is one 2.5 minutes compilation that I made myself:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ocoZX ... H_NtZQZExS

And there are this two, that where on (regional) German TV programs:

https://www.sat1regional.de/fliegen-wie ... -heben-ab/

https://www.br.de/mediathek/video/gut-z ... 001845b01d

Best regards,

Markus

----------------------------------------------------------

German Aerospace Center (DLR) -

Member of the Helmholtz-Association

Institute of Aerodynamics and Flow Technology

Prof. Dr. Markus Raffel

Germany

E-Mail: Markus.Raffel@dlr.de

Tel.: +49 551 709 2817

Fax.: +49 551 709 12817

Internet: http://www.dlr.de

Knee guard:
KneeGuards.JPG
KneeGuards.JPG (12.45 KiB) Viewed 7526 times

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:10 am

Motivation for several things, but ski or spoon skids or large wheels?

LandingWithoutSafeSplat001.jpg
LandingWithoutSafeSplat001.jpg (121.53 KiB) Viewed 7167 times

=================================
WheelsTCF.JPG
WheelsTCF.JPG (12.44 KiB) Viewed 7164 times

JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:13 pm

If I were training this guy, I would first suggest he try grabbing his downtubes eight or ten inches higher.
This allows a more effective (closer to vertical) flare and a slower landing speed.
You can see in the photos how the glider did not receive a full flare as it continues to fly forward in a partial stall and maybe ground effect.
Also, the pilot isn't even trying to run. What's up with that?         :shock:
In many ways, the correct flare technique can be viewed as the most important part of training (or of flying hang gliders in general).
Without mastering the flare, a pilot is going to get hurt sooner or later.
Wheels, unfortunately, can serve as a substitute for poor landing technique.
Look to the guys who always land well for how to do it.

While I would encourage the use of wheels in training, I also recognize the fact that, while wheels will always make a poor pilot safer, they do not contribute anything to a good pilot's stand-up landing.
The most important landing aid I ever used did not involve wheels or skids.
In fact, it was something I threw off my glider: a piece of tissue paper wrapped around an ounce of flour.
When it hit, it would burst open and drift with the wind, telling me the wind direction and speed at the moment of landing.
From this information, I would know how much flare to give my glider for a good landing.
For the type of high desert flying I did, a guess at the density altitude, based on temperature and elevation, would also factor in.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics