RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Weekend Weather

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Weekend Weather

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:33 am

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 1 through SUNDAY, DECEMBER 3:
This will be a pleasant weekend, I think. No rain, and temperatures in our area from mid-60's to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Winds? Ah, that's the question. It looks like we get light and variable winds for Friday and Saturday. In those circumstances, Dry Canyon is probably your best bet, being our highest, easily accessible site. Thermals can bubble up the face there, making it launchable even if the prevailing winds are poor. PG's might enjoy it, but it looks pretty light for hang gliders. On Sunday, things change radically. We will be getting strong winds from the southwest, all over the area. A lot of sites will work that day, but I recommend being there early and being cautious of the speed. I think that Dry Canyon, La Luz, Little Floridas, Magdalena Rim, Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch will all be possible flying sites. Maybe Kilbourne Hole as well. Be wary of a blowout by afternoon, however. In a longer range forecast than the weekend, the Little Floridas are possible on Monday (early - a blowout is forecast by afternoon) and Volcanic Peak looks really good for Tuesday. OK, that's my crystal ball impression for the weekend; if you go flying, let me know how it turns out. With my schedule I'm probably looking at Sunday afternoon as my flying time, if the winds allow it, and I'm sure keeping Tuesday open. Be safe, everyone!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:49 pm

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 8 through SUNDAY, DECEMBER 10:
Today (Thursday) is our gift from the Arctic Circle. But don't expect it to last. By tomorrow the high temperature will be in the high 40's F, and then up to high 50's for the rest of the weekend. The skies will clear, and the winds will be... moderate. And then zilch. Friday we get light north winds; after that, light and variable all weekend. Where to fly, where to fly - ah, the eternal question. My guess is, try Dry Canyon. Even light and variable is usually launchable there. If the thermals are good, you can stay up, too. Otherwise, I wouldn't count on a whole lot of airtime opportunities. Yes, it'll be a beautiful weekend - and no, I don't expect it to be epic, aviation wise. I'd like to do something at Dry Canyon on Saturday or Sunday, if anyone's interested; give me a call at 575-541-5744. Meanwhile, get the ol' woodstove going, and stay warm tonight!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:42 am

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 15 through SUNDAY, DECEMBER 17, 2017:
This could be our best weekend in a while. Unfortunately, I'll be gone for most of it - but the rest of you, get out and enjoy it. We could get some rain in Las Cruces and Deming, and maybe Alamogordo, on Sunday, but otherwise it should be dry. Winds will be mostly southwest. (East in Deming on Friday, but southwest Saturday and Sunday there.) Light on Friday, moderate on Saturday, kind of strong on Sunday. Temperatures in the 50's on Friday, highs in the 60's on Saturday and Sunday. Recommendations? Dry Canyon will work all weekend, unless it's wet. Magdalena Rim might be light on Friday, but could be good the rest of the time. Little Floridas? Good on Saturday, possible blowout on Sunday. Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch, Kilbourne Hole, the Sod Farm: All pretty good all weekend, though a bit light on Friday. Have a good time if you get the chance to get out and soar, and let me know how it goes. Be safe!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 am

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 22 through SUNDAY, DECEMBER 24:
I hope you enjoyed the rain last Sunday - it doesn't look like we'll have any precipitation until late next week. It should be dry this weekend, but some clouds on Saturday and Sunday. Temperatures? Pretty cool on Friday, with high temperatures in the high 40's Fahrenheit. Saturday and Sunday should get warmer, with highs around 60 degrees. Winds? On Friday, mostly north and northwest, moderate in strength. Since it should get windy today (Thursday) this is the typical pattern. On Saturday the winds appear to shift to the southwest, light to moderate. On Sunday, more south/southeast, still fairly light, except in Alamogordo, where we should get light southwest. With that in mind, I think that on Friday your best bet for flying is to go to La Luz. It's possible that Volcanic Peak will work, but NW is a bit crossed for that site. It would be ideal for towing at the Exit 116 road, west of Las Cruces. Chilly, though. On Saturday I would recommend a fair number of sites: Dry Canyon, La Luz, Magdalena Rim, Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch, and the Little Floridas. On Sunday I'd say that Dry Canyon looks the best for a Christmas Eve gift of airtime. The winds being pretty steady in direction, towing at the Sod Farms ought to be productive all weekend. Good luck in flying, and dress warm! I should be available for some airtime if you get the urge to fly somewhere.
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:20 pm

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 29 through SUNDAY, DECEMBER 31, 2017:
This will not be a weekend for epic soaring, I think, but it should be flyable at most of our sites. The summary: Warm, dry, and westerly, light. Expect winds from the west - northwest, due west, southwest - and on the surface, about 5 mph throughout the weekend. Looks like that California high pressure bubble might be moving our way. Warm temperatures, in the high 60's and low 70's F, no moisture, and no real winds (jetstream is up north of us). Dry Canyon may be your best bet for the weekend, being the highest, or the Little Floridas, which will be the windiest. (Probably 10 to 15 mph at launch up there - good for HG.) One pilot is planning on checking out the Guadalupes, which might have just the right winds, since it blows out a lot more readily than our more local sites. But you should find La Luz, the Little Floridas, Dry Canyon, Magdalena Rim, Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch all launchable, pretty much all day long, all weekend. Let me know if you want to try some site - if I am not off travelling over the holiday break, I'd be up for one of these places.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:00 am

FRIDAY, JANUARY 5, 2018 through SUNDAY, JANUARY 7:
Weird weather prevails throughout the country today - but not here. What Tom Bird calls a "bombogenesis" (hope I got that right, Tom!) is bringing snow, wind, bitter cold and amazing low pressures to the East Coast of the USA. Meanwhile, in the REAL world (i.e., us) we have temperatures in the 60's F this weekend, mild winds, sunshine, and no chance of precipitation. Surface winds on Friday will be light west and southwest. On Saturday, a bit stronger, from the southwest, and on Sunday, moderate to strong, coming from the north and northwest. Looks good for our flying this weekend! I'd recommend, on Friday, Dry Canyon, the Little Floridas (HG and PG) and Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch for PG's (a little light for HG's there). Possibly Magdalena Rim, though it's light. On Saturday, just about every southwest site works. Dry Canyon, La Luz, Mag Rim, Little Floridas, Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch should all be pretty good, whether HG or PG. On Sunday it looks like the La Luz NW launch might be good, and possibly Volcanic Peak. The Exit 116 tow site is a good bet, too. In summary, while much of the nation is grounded this weekend, 2018 is starting out pretty well in RGSA country. Let me know if you want to fly - I might be able to get out to Mag Rim or Dry Canyon on Saturday. Fly safe!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:19 pm

FRIDAY, JANUARY 12 through SUNDAY, JANUARY 14, 2018:
Last weekend we had some great flying. This weekend, I don't expect much. As I write this, on Wednesday evening, it is blowing hard out of the northwest, and we had a bit of rain this morning. It's cold now, too. By Friday, all is forgiven, and we will be back to our normal winter conditions: warm (highs about 60 F), clear, and very light. Winds should be light northwest on Friday, followed by easterly breezes, again very light, except in Alamogordo where you can expect southwest - very light. (The Sacramentos block out most easterly winds.) On Sunday, very light, and variable. Probably easterly flow, for what it's worth, which isn't much. My recommendation is to try to fly at La Luz on Friday, Dry Canyon on Saturday and Sunday, and think about towing somewhere if that's available. The days should be lovely, but the soaring, I think, will not be epic. (Well, it might be good if you can take off, somehow.) Good luck, and if you fly, be safe!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:48 pm

Well, Robin, I'm sort of looking for a place to fly, especially given it's a long weekend. The prediction for Sunday on NOAA is SW at seven, think the Guads would work out?

Also, thanks again for showing me and Brian Mag rim last week!

-Andy
Andy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:40 pm

Hey Andy,
As I remember the area near launch takes a WSW wind direction. (Check with Google Earth.) so SW would be approximately a 22º left crosswind.
If I were there and launched under these conditions with the right wind velocity I would then head north because the Rim to the north faces even closer to SSW than right at launch. :geek:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:06 am

FRIDAY, JANUARY 19 through SUNDAY, JANUARY 21:
This is an unsettled weekend for weather. It actually presents some good flying opportunities, but you need to be choosy. Friday looks great, fairly warm, fairly clear, and moderately windy from the southwest. Saturday starts out well, but by afternoon the southwest winds get pretty strong, and there's a small chance of rain by early Sunday morning. On Sunday I think we'll have a blowout from the west and southwest, as well as markedly colder temperatures. I think that towing at the sod farms will be pretty good on Friday and Saturday. For foot launched flying, I recommend Dry Canyon, La Luz, Magdalena Rim, the Little Floridas, Nelson's Launch and possibly Agave Hill (if it's not too crossed) on Friday. On Saturday the same southwest-facing sites look good, but go early. By sometime in the afternoon I expect the winds to be too strong. On Sunday the winds are supposed to be more westerly, and even stronger, as a low-pressure system passes over Colorado and swirls the jetstream down our way. (That brings in some cold air from up there, too, so be warned.) If you can get out to fly on Friday, I think that will be the best day of the weekend. Coming out to Las Cruces for flying at Mag Rim and then our annual club meeting later, at International Delights restaurant at 6:00, might be a good way to spend the day. And a TV set with a football game could be your most productive activity on Sunday. Good luck, fly safe, and I'll hope to see you all on Saturday evening if not before.
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association