Cemetery HG history marker and other news

Postby Frank Colver » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Hi All, so much to report!

We will have a history statement on the actual hillside that the flying took place. Today I purchased plots in Pacific View memorial park that include a granite bench which will have the HG history statement engraved in it and even a graphic or two of a hang glider (checking to see what might be available from stock designs). The bench is right next to a road, about half way up the hill, and looks like approximately where Richard Miller flew over. It is right in the area where we stopped when we went there from San Miguel Park, Monday the 23rd. We were very fortunate to get this because it is the only bench available on the entire hillside, all others are taken and they will not add any more. A man had it on hold for a long time and decided he could not afford it, so he released it.

Here is the inscription I have ordered. Any other suggestions need to get to me quickly, but I will be the "decider". Words can also be placed on the sides. The hang glider graphic will go on the vertical supporting pedestal, possibly front and back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ON THIS HILL, MAY 23, 1971, WITH A GATHERING OF ENTHUSIASTS FOR PERSONAL HUMAN FLIGHT, BEGAN THE WORLDWIDE SPORT OF HANG GLIDING.

MAY THE LIFT BE GOOD AND MAY THE JOYFUL SPIRIT OF THAT MAGICAL DAY SOAR FOREVER.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Family Services man, with whom I dealt, was very enthusiastic when I told him about the HG history. He said he wanted to know more details because they like to tell people as much about the cemetery as they can, and an interesting historical event having taken place there he thought would be good PR. He pointed out John Wayne's grave site to me :-)

From a history information standpoint I learned a couple of things from him. (1) The man who told the police we could stay, that day in '71, was the actual owner of the cemetery. (2) The hillside we also used, that now has houses on it, was part of the cemetery property at the time. Some investors wanted to get some money out, so they later sold off that part of the cemetery to the housing developer.

I will also continue my efforts to get our marker placed in San Miguel Park. Along that line here is an e-mail communication I had with the city council woman in who's district the park lies. I will follow her suggestion that I attend a meeting and speak about it during the public comment period. Then she will take it up with the council. My original e-mail to her is below her response.

COPY:

Frank, I could mention it during council announcements and ask for direction, but it would probably be more effective for you to come to the council and speak during public comment, showing the photo and explaining a bit, at which time I could ask council to be supportive and ask for direction. Up to you,.
In a message dated 6/1/2011 9:46:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, fcolver@znet.com writes:
Hello Nancy,

You probably read the front page article in the Daily Pilot on May 24th about the gathering (in San Miguel Park) to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the beginning of the worldwide sport of hang gliding, that took place in this town on May 23, 1971. Since I am the only person who attended that original event who presently lives in Newport Beach, I was presented a granite history marker stone. This stone was made by a group who would like to have the site of the historical event marked. There is worldwide interest in this.

I would like to present the history marker stone (see attached photo) to the council, or the NB Historical Society, with the hope that it would be permanently placed in San Miguel Park. Since the event took place in your district I thought this might interest you. The actual flying site is now covered with houses except for a small portion which is located on the north edge of Pacific View Memorial Park. Therefore, San Miguel Park is the closest public property to the actual historical site. The park lies on the backside of the historic flying hill.

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions on this matter.

Sincerely,
Frank Colver
Dover Shores
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cemetery HG history marker and other news

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi Frank,

That's a super job you're doing there!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Do you know the date of the Council meeting when you're going to speak? If I'm in town, I'll be happy to attend with you. Maybe I could hold the granite marker to free your hands for the Colver SkysaiL model. :)

Seriously, I think it might help to have a small delegation of hang glider pilots at the Council meeting to show interest from communities outside of Newport Beach. Let us know what you think!!

Bob Kuczewski
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:48 am

That might be good Bob. It's hard to tell what would be the most effective approach. It does seem like having several people there would help but I don't know if more than one can speak at the podium. Some issues with the city turn out a lot of folks, of course, but as I recall only one speaks at a time. If we got several HG people there, like yourself, we could each speak. They provide three minutes per speaker but of course we need to be diplomatic, as well, and not overdo it.

I was planning to take a couple of photo prints of the marker to show and/or hand to the council, because I'm not sure if security would let me in with a heavy piece of stone that could be thrown at someone. Maybe I can find out from someone. From councilwoman Gardener's e-mail reply it doesn't sound like they would be ready to actually physically accept the stone, but more likely to tell us what the next step would be.

Right now I don't know what meeting I'll be able to attend. They meet twice each month (2nd & 4th Tuesdays) and I should be able to make it either in June or July. I replied to Ms Gardener that I would give her a "heads up" when I knew what meeting date I was going to make. I'll do that on this forum also.

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:58 am

Hi Frank,

I don't know how they run their Council meetings, but in most San Diego City meetings, they'll give 3 minutes per speaker or per group. So if they get the sense that 20 people are all speaking from the same "group" then the Council President might give the entire group 3 minutes rather than an hour for all 20 people.

For that reason (and just to be polite to the Council), I think one speaker should be fine for this presentation. Other people would just be there to show their silent support of the idea.

It's too bad that it's the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays (and not every week) because I'm going back to Florida on Monday the 13th after our Second Sunday at Torrey Fly-In on the 12th. But if you decide on having a group come along, I can always put out a notice to the Torrey Hawks. Our mailing list has well over 200 pilots, and there's a good chance we can find a few who might be interested.

Thanks Frank. Step by step, you're going to make it happen. :thumbup:

Bob Kuczewski
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:13 pm

MY month of June seems to be flying by at lightspeed. I haven't even followed up on signing up for the two day Eagle Paraglider School, which I hoped to do this month. I need to get back down to my desert place, so that's next on my agenda. I might be able to make the council meeting on the 28th but don't count on that yet. I'll post it here, and e-mail you, as soon as I decide. It might not happen until July.

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Forum Statistics