SWTHG Hangar @ 49R

Forum for SW Texas Hang Gliders Club - Southwest Texas

Re: SWTHG Hangar @ 49R

Postby Nate » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:18 am

Sam -

You've been busy!

If you asked a month ago, I'd have told you I might be ready to fly by July but it seems like once the reattachment took (bicep detached at forearm), healing has been at a rapid pace.

It is a good thing my harness is off getting repaired or I'd be temped to fly now! I am thinking I'll be airborne again come May - in time for XC season.

I still would like to fly Leakey this year but healing has put off many projects this year.

Nate
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:06 am

Seeing the PG guys chase records out of S TX sure has had me wishing I was going long from Leakey.

I only have 3 soaring flights this year but with every week/month, my arm is getting to normal. I did have a nice 40 mile out and return(to 20 mi to Gonzales and back) last week for a nice XC start. Big Spring is coming soon and work has me out of town and on the go. :shock:

Nate
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:10 am

Nate,

Sure hope the arm is healing strong. I'm cheering for Ya. Yes, Big Spring is upon us again!!

I'm really gonna try to get out there for a couple of days and volunteer/visit.

Darn, seems like with prices of everything going up we just have to work that much more.

Prentice is expected to be here in a few days. He is having an event at Hearne Aug. ??.

We will probably go up to the FL.

I also need someone to pull me up with the scooter to test fly/demonstrate the Condor.

True it is exciting to see more converts coming to Texas for world class flights.

If, surely he will, Greece writes a story for the ushpa mag., that will be one PG story I won't mind reading. :)

I wouldn't even mind seeing front cover and center fold. :)

Sam
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:49 am

Much of my 2013 was sucking wind with a wife and 2 small children. Not a fun place to be in free fall so I am happy to make hay while the sun shines.

The best part of the season in Texas is short, but it is epic. The 40 miles last week was easy. I could have done more but needed to get home and pack for a trip.

Of course I would hope to not need a bailout, but there seems to be a large one across 83. I might choose if I had to use one.

Nate
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:16 am

Nate,

Martin A. donated the Sting 2 XC. So we have your glider at Leakey. All it needs is a hang strap.

I had two students last weekend. I met them at Big Spring while they were taking a tandem with Mark F. and Russell, one morning.

Last year they watched as Zac Majors landed near their house at Welch, Tx., just north of Lamesa.

They did great on the Condor. They have vacationed at Leakey for ever with relatives here too.

They were pleased to know that HG instruction was available here.

However they are very keen on establishing a flying/payout tow site at Welch.

That location is about ground zero for the Dry Line that sets up such great soaring conditions.

The old cropduster strip they proposed is 1.5mi long, one runs N-S, the other runs E-W.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:39 am

Sounds great. I would love to see the old Sting again. That was a very handy little glider. Down side is parts from airborne :cry:

It would be a good ride for ridge soaring Mt Buzz.

I would be interested in soaring Mt Buzz and at least trying to score a 40 mile XC to my dad's landing strip north of there on 83.

I am glad to see you have instruction up and the Condor getting aired out. I haven't done any scooter tow, but it is not too late to learn.

Nate
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:42 am

More web access @ 49R
Attachments
IMG_0214 Hawks @ Hangar.JPG
IMG_0214 Hawks @ Hangar.JPG (96.94 KiB) Viewed 7734 times
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:42 pm

Nothing stops you guys from Texas!!!!

Keep up the amazing effort Sam.        :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:53 pm

Nate wrote:I am glad to see you have instruction up and the Condor getting aired out. I haven't done any scooter tow, but it is not too late to learn.

Nate

I could probably put you in a thermal with the scooter. We are really getting great tows. especially with a breeze.

Equal or higher than Mt Buz. So high I have to really watch for the leg scissor, release signal.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:41 pm

I'd make it real easy on you Sam. I do constant TX while on tow. :thumbup:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor