Tow Patterns

Forum for SW Texas Hang Gliders Club - Southwest Texas

Re: Tow Patterns

Postby SamKellner » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:18 pm

Hi Bob,

Can you rotate the scootertow picture in the first post of this topic.

Thanks,
Sam
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:00 am

SamKellner wrote:Can you rotate the scootertow picture in the first post of this topic.

Done!        :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:26 pm

download/file.php?id=4864

Thanks Bob, That looks a lot better :clap: :clap:

So help me out again!

If I an assigning a number to the turf runway as illustrated by Bill's yellow line, what would it be?
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:23 am

164.32 Grd. - 150 Mag..JPG
164.32 Grd. - 150 Mag..JPG (19.98 KiB) Viewed 10240 times

Sam the 15 runway (150 degrees) is actually 164.32 degrees (Grid North, GN) on Google Earth)
The airport assigned it 150 Magnetic North.
I think they rounded it to the nearest ten degrees.
(164.32 degrees minus 10 degrees magnetic =154.32 degrees = rounded to 150 degrees or Runway # 15.)

174.37 Grd. - 160 Mag..JPG
174.37 Grd. - 160 Mag..JPG (19.88 KiB) Viewed 10240 times

By the same reasoning I would (guess) assign the yellow line with 160 or Runway # 16 (160 degrees magnetic)
(Rounded to the nearest ten degrees. 174.37 - 10 = 164.37 deg. Mag = rounded to 160 degrees or Runway # 16.)
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:21 pm

I haven't done the math, but Bill is probably right.

Runways were numbered based on the magnetic heading so the old magnetic compasses would match the runway number when on final. So just by eye I would guess about 350 (runway 35) when landing to the north and 170 (runway 17) when landing to the south. I could easily be off by 20 or 30 degrees, so I'd take Bill's numbers since he's done the math!!
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Tow Patterns Tony Benetti

Postby SamKellner » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:32 pm

Hello Hawks,

Here's what we've been doing at Southwest Texas Hang Gliding
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
Down wind
FullSizeRender.jpg (18.65 KiB) Viewed 10143 times
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
base leg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg (88.2 KiB) Viewed 10143 times
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
final on the spot
FullSizeRender (1).jpg (23.62 KiB) Viewed 10143 times
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:41 pm

Ya Hoooooooooooo!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Way to go Texas!!!!
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:07 pm

Hawks,

Thanks for the help. We're doing just about every combination of the patterns that are illustrated.

As you can see, with the pulley down near rwy 33, we are able to scooter tow to such altitude to make the base leg over the hangar with plenty of room.

I'm missing the u$hPa BOD meeting in Austin, :( :( with all intention :) :twisted:

The Terrytow scooter with Okiespool is really doing the job.
Last edited by SamKellner on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:39 pm

This message contains too few charactors, Yes.
Attachments
halfsizerender.jpg
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Sam,
What has been going on as far as towing is concerned? It's been too hot here near Las Cruces.
I've been thinking that maybe I should hook a fan with water going through some mist producing nozzles onto a platform rig.
Maybe some surplus astronaut space suits.
Maybe it would be easier to wait indoors until September while watching videos of winter towing. :(
We're getting our summer easterly winds which is over the back for our primary foot launch site. (Dry Canyon).
Robin couldn't take it any more and launched anyway (lee side) and has his @$$ handed to him. :crazy:
So far I haven't done anything ( :crazy: ) like that ---- Yet :shifty: :shh:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to SW Texas Hang Gliders Forum