new u$hPa member cards

Forum for SW Texas Hang Gliders Club - Southwest Texas

Re: new u$hPa member cards

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:22 pm

JoeF wrote:Some pilots would not want a PG on their HG-lifestyle card.

Actually, that picture almost looks like a hang glider ... under a paraglider!!!
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:38 pm

Good eye, BobK.
And in some sense, such is mechanically right on! The upper wing is tethered via rods (in tension) to the lower wing.
That is, the upper wing is a kind of kite systems with the anchor set being the wing-and-pilot below; the rods are the kite lines to the upper wing;
since the system is gliding, then the system with the kited wing above is a "para" glider. This follows somewhat the Woglum "parakites" terminology.
https://openlibrary.org/books/OL6980132M/Parakites
Fun.
JoeF

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:49 pm

JoeF wrote: Some pilots would not want a PG on their HG-lifestyle card. And not have that "P-" note.

That's sure right :x

Standard Operating Procedures that do not divert my HG focus onto "except for paragliders...bla bla.....and speed wing...bla bla...."

That would be nice :yawn:
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:52 pm

Imagine a hang gliding association that issues membership cards to hang glider pilots with pictures of hang gliders on them...
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:24 pm

RickMasters wrote:Imagine a hang gliding association that issues membership cards to hang glider pilots with pictures of hang gliders on them...

:srofl:
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:57 pm

By the way, I just got an email from USHPA that included this from USHPA's Executive Director Martin Palmaz:

Membership is relatively flat, year over year, although the proportion of members who only hang glide continues to decrease and represents a spike in the older age brackets.

It almost reads like they're waiting for those old HG-only guys to die off.    :roll:
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:15 pm

BobK,

What is your opinion of what Martin P. said about HG in the March magazine. :|

"Martin P. 10yrs at USHGA/USHPA" article.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Merlin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:40 pm

I think the original card design was abstract enough to have been fine for the combined organization. (I'm real glad I kept a few of the old ones) Thank god I never had to keep one of the newer designs in my wallet. The magazine was horrific enough. At least I could recycle that abomination.
Merlin
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:16 pm

SamKellner wrote:What is your opinion of what Martin P. said about HG in the March magazine. :|

I have to confess that I very rarely read that magazine any more, and I don't have it handy. But I will try to read it on-line ...

Before I get to Martin's article, let me say that it is ridiculous to have to use that stupid ISSUU reader to read our own magazine. Why don't they just publish a PDF file so we can download it and read it when we want? Why do we have to go through a stupid third-party choke hold to view what is supposed to be OUR national magazine? Are they afraid we'll actually . . . share it with a non-member? :shock: :o      Heaven forbid that we might want to share our magazine with non-USHPA member to . . . grow our sport.    :roll:

OK, on to Martin ... :srofl:

Note how they go through such pains to tell us that he started as a hang gliding pilot and got all the way through his H1 rating (wow) before being severely injured in such a dangerous sport. In fact, it was so dangerous that it took him 8 years to finally decide to take up that much safer sport of paragliding. :roll: (I think I'm going to get a lot of use from our "eye rolling" smiley during this article)

Then they go on about the "identity crisis" and retiring the "orange ball" logo as if that was the key issue in combining the two sports. If there's an "identity crisis" it's not about the logo. It's about the fact that soon we won't have enough representation to win any USHPA Board seats. :roll:

Then they talk about going "digital" and improving communication. :lol: Gee, how about telling us how our USHPA Board members vote on the USHPA Board like they've been doing in Congress (since forever) and in the HP Association of Canada (since almost forever). No, don't do that!! :roll:

They say he's working to improve communications "through chapters to address their local issues". OK, that deserves a big one: :srofl:
How long have the Torrey Hawks been asking to get something as basic as site insurance? Since 2009? That's 6 years this spring.

Oh boy, here's some good news .... as Chapters we're going to get USHPA promotional "schwag".      :roll: :(

Then he talks about his "major concern" about the decline in hang gliding. Gee, what could they do in San Diego to help with that? Maybe support the only hang gliding club in San Diego? OK, that deserves another big one: :srofl:

Now this next one is a real killer. He talks about how he's "drastically concerned" about the decline of hang gliding (now down to 37% of USHPA's members). So why do they make every attempt - year after year - to gut our ability to have hang gliding clubs? Clubs like the Torrey Hawks and the Fellow Feathers are teetering on the edge of violation of these new rules designed to crush us. The truth gives you away Martin.

All right Sam. That's the last time I'm going to let you depress me by tricking me into reading a U$hPA article. :(
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:27 am

Sorry, BobK,

You might have them remove the P-4 on your member card. :srofl: :P

Our newest SWTHG club member just received his 1st u$hPa membership card after joining.

Now he has completed the H-1 tasks and is expecting a new card.

Another $15 processing fee paid to u$hPa and someone/members pay for another new scannable? membership card that will be

sent out . .

I'd like to own the machine that makes these new membership cards. $$$$$$$
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to SW Texas Hang Gliders Forum