U.S. Hang Gliding Pilots

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:13 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

With much help from John LaTorre, I have created the following page in Hang Gliding History. Expect some additions, but I am slowed up at the moment for personal reasons:

Jean-Michel Bernasconi and Pacific Windcraft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:21 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Everard wrote:
With much help from John LaTorre, I have created the following page in Hang Gliding History.

I really dig the idea of stiff sailcloth on top and soft on the bottom of the sail. Did it work as intended?

If you resume writing on this article, I suggest adding a section on when, how and why Pacific Windcraft went out of business. Or did it dissolve into Airwave?

---<)kaimartin(>---

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:26 am 
Contributor
Contributor

All I heard is that Airwave closed it down. I have not (yet) documented the later evolution of Airwave, which moved from the Isle of Wight, UK, to Austria, I believe.

As for whether the differing sailcloth worked as intended, such innovations are often debatable except where the advantage is demonstrable, as was the case with the deletion of leading edge deflexors a few years earlier.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:15 am 
Contributor
Contributor

More info from John LaTorre, including much detail about construction of the various types and differences between U.S.- and U.K.-built variants, and photos added. It includes a bit more of the reason why Airwave UK closed down PacAir.