U.S. Hang Gliding Pilots

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joe Faust
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:24 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

HG.org is a pissant little insignificant web forum. Equating it to the very important protest of Rosa Parks did give me a good laugh, however.

Nothing will ever get Jack to change his forum because it is entirely his and he can do anything he wants with it.

That said, poking him in the a** every once in a while can keep him on his toes and watching for the next jab.

Building the US Hawks is the most effective thing we can do and not sweat HG.org which is OK for passing along HG information, as you say, but not for changing the wrong direction hang gliding is taking now. That has to be done on US Hawks, USHGRS, and unknown sites yet to come.

I've been waiting for things to settle down a little, a few pablum posts to calm the waters.....................????????????

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:30 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Hang Gliding Dot Org does not define who Joe, Frank, or Rick is. They themselves have defined and demonstrated their character long ago. Thank you very much.

Fifty years ago at the prelude to the rebirth of Hang Gliding was: 2001: A Space Odyssey

P.S. Stanley Kubrick was the same director of Paths of Glory.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
That has to be done on US Hawks, USHGRS, and unknown sites yet to come.

:P Image :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:52 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Frank Colver wrote:
HG.org is a pissant little insignificant web forum.

Some folks consider the entire sport of hang gliding to be insignificant. For better or worse (mostly worse) HG.org is the largest gathering of hang gliding pilots on the web. Anyone wanting to improve the sport is hurting their effort by not reaching those pilots.

Frank Colver wrote:
Equating it to the very important protest of Rosa Parks did give me a good laugh, however.

A comparison of similar features is not "equating" so please don't say or imply that I ever equated them. The numbers of people alone make them grossly unequal. The salient similarities, however, are: (1) standing up for one's rights to the point of spending time in jail, (2) defying authority in order to bring a matter to court, and (3) winning rights for a group of otherwise disenfranchised people. David Jebb used the police to intimidate and remove pilots a number of times. Ask David Beardslee. It was done to him. My cases never went to court because the City Attorney knew they'd lose in court. The last arrest was in the summer of 2015, and the Torrey Concessionaire hasn't played that card since. We've all been able to go there freely ever since. The efforts at Torrey and Dockweiler and Point of the Mountain and USHPA and HG.org have all been part of a "civil rights" movement for hang gliding pilots. I think Rosa Parks would be quite happy to have inspired those efforts.

Frank Colver wrote:
Nothing will ever get Jack to change his forum because it is entirely his and he can do anything he wants with it.

When I speak to the City Council every week, they listen with mostly deaf ears. But my speeches also reach the voters. It had been decades since any incumbent San Diego City Councilmember had lost an election. Two of them lost their elections just last week. I'm not claiming credit, but I believe every bit of pressure helps. It's not one straw that breaks the camel's back. It's the collective weight of all of them working together. If Scott and I hadn't been banned by Jack in 2010, we wouldn't even have the U.S. Hawks today. We did our part in 2010 laying the foundation for a reformation in the sport. Joe Faust has done the same back in 2010 all the way up to today in 2018. Your own posts, Frank, have been super. We have all been straws in that growing pile, and the weight is evident in Jack's increasingly ridiculous censorship. We won't know which straw will be the last until it happens.

Knowing Jack, he may never relent on his bans of Joe and others. But that doesn't mean that the complaints are useless. Other good people will see what's going on. They will vote with their own feet. If there are no consequences for Joe's ban, then Jack is rewarded for his misdeed.

Frank Colver wrote:
Building the US Hawks is the most effective thing we can do and not sweat HG.org which is OK for passing along HG information, as you say, but not for changing the wrong direction hang gliding is taking now. That has to be done on US Hawks, USHGRS, and unknown sites yet to come.

I mostly agree with you. Some of that growth will hopefully come from our own outreach efforts at places like Torrey and Dockweiler. Some of that growth will come from USHPA continually shooting themselves in the foot. But some of the growth will come from people on the "doppleganger" forums seeing what's going on. To that last end, I'd like to see some brave souls asking simple questions like:

"Jack, can you please tell us what rule Joe broke?"

and:

"Jack, can you please tell us why you obliterate 'USHGRS' in our own posts?"

Don't let him dodge it. Be another straw. Do the same at USHPA. Yes, there will be casualties as there always have been. Don't let it deter you. These are the lessons taught by Rosa Parks and those throughout history who've fought for the rights and dignity we enjoy today.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:52 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Something I just found, a letter, had Otto's Lilienthal's birthday on it: Founding of UCLA, my first matriculated university, was on Otto's birthday. I first attended UCLA in 1959, September. I was awarded the Dykstra Scholarship; and I lived on campus in "Dykstra Hall" from which I may have flown the first Frisbee from that structure.
Here is the letter I just found as I have been downsizing things:
Attachment:
DykstraScholarLETTER.pdf [497.37 KiB]
Downloaded 570 times

Second archive site:
HERE

Moderator's Note: Link above was corrected with addition of "=", and letter added below:

Attachment:
Dykstra_Scholar_Faust.png
Dykstra_Scholar_Faust.png [ 697.56 KiB | Viewed 6087 times ]

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:04 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Two notes that occurred during Hang Glider Weekly era
Attachment:
RealizationsStateOfRelationship1977.pdf [361.54 KiB]
Downloaded 581 times

Other archive for the two notes: HERE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:40 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Camping at Escape Country hang gliding meet: Joanne, jennifer, Joe, Joy.
I see feet of son Joseph, but I cannot make out his upper body. ??
Joanne and I both flew in the meet.
Photographer: Lineu Vitale from Brazil.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:01 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Joe Faust in a Dial Soap commercial at the dawn of the golden era of hang gliding:

https://youtu.be/aD4sB4VIsXs

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:26 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Michael Grisham / magentabluesky wrote:
Hang Gliding Dot Org does not define who Joe, Frank, or Rick is. They themselves have defined and demonstrated their character long ago. Thank you very much.

Michael Grisham's comment would be true if human beings were omniscient. But humans are not omniscient. In most cases humans only know what they are shown or told. On totalitarian forums like OzReport.com, ParaglidingForum.com, and hanggliding.org , people will only know what they read ... and what they read in those cases is a distortion of reality.

It is false to say that people like Joe and Rick define themselves when it's clear that they are being misrepresented and misdefined to large numbers of people on forums like hanggliding.org, ozreport.com, and ParaglidingForum.com.

It is shameful that those who have a voice on those forums and who know the truth ... won't dare speak it for fear of losing the voice that they don't really have anyway.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:55 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Transcribed text of entry in Joe Faust's Diary from page 1 of this topic:

In 1986, Joe Faust wrote:
My new ways will be for all. I will research, invent and publish so others may benefit. I will bring to fruit the labor's of my heart, mind, body and situation.

My job is to bring new ideas into existence for others to consider as they form their works, lives and studies.

Also I will help circulate ideas of others by using my particular publishing and writing talents, physical talents and situation.

And I will pray for all and give thanksgiving for God's presence in my life and God's gift of the Divine Life and Universe to me.

Joseph Patrick Michael Faust
March 19, 1985(6)
Feast of Saint Joseph

Joe has lived up to his writing. His ways have been for all. He has used his talents to circulate his ideas and the ideas of others. Joe has kept his promise.

There's a special place for those who have silenced Joe Faust in any venue.
And there's a place, not too far from there, for those who watched and said nothing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next