U.S. Hang Gliding Pilots

Post subject: Mike Koman (Madhava Das)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:47 am 
Contributor
Contributor

This thread is for anyone's input regarding Mike Koman (USHGA 71) who lives now in Hawaii.
We have some coverage of him in US Hawks in other posts.

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:51 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

You said, “Mike Koman (USHGA 71) who now lives in Hawaii,” so I’m thinking that Mike wasn’t there until recently.

Still fresh in my mind, since it was the very first time I saw hang gliding was during R&R from Viet Nam in 1970 on the north east end of Oahu’s Makapuu Point.

I had disobeyed orders and rented a Honda motorcycle to tour the Island.

I was amazed to see guys in gliders hanging motionless above me soaring the trade winds. I knew right then that I was going to do this if I ever got home safely from the Army. For sure not from such a high cliff ---but I was GOING TO DO THIS!
This was truly an unforgettable moment my first exposure to hang gliding.
I hadn’t even heard of it before this moment. A man carrying kite!! I would have never thought!
A woman in a rusted 50’s model car roared up and stopped. She got out with a bull horn in her right hand, put it to her lips tilted here head back, aiming the bull horn toward the gliders, and yelled, “Okay Mike, you’ve been up there long enough! Come home and get some work done!”
This Mike guy was flying seated in a swing seat, not wearing a helmet, bare feet, in cutoff Jeans, a floppy Hawaiian print button shirt, (Long hair). Mike dipped his wings left and right to get down and when it looked like he was going to over shoot the landing area his flying buddies on the ground all started yelling, “Shark Bait! Shark Bait! Shark bait!
I thought SHARKS? ---This could be a dangerous sport. I was totally clueless at this point. (Of course it could be dangerous! Even without SHARKS!)

If anyone gets a message to Mike Koman (USHGA 71) ask him if he was near Sea Life Park LZ in 1970 and if he is the one and the same Mike that was called out of the sky with a bull horn. I was the skinny kid standing near your car when the bull horn sounded.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:23 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Good story Bill :clap: :clap: :srofl: :srofl:

Chapter #4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Joe sent me some early photos via email, so I hope no one minds if I post them here:

Attachment:
Mike Koman.JPG
Mike Koman.JPG [ 44.5 KiB | Viewed 6909 times ]

Attachment:
6884640223_9888d60ee8_z.jpg
6884640223_9888d60ee8_z.jpg [ 71.24 KiB | Viewed 6909 times ]

Attachment:
Torrance Beach HG 72.jpg
Torrance Beach HG 72.jpg [ 32.1 KiB | Viewed 6909 times ]

Wow!! It's an honor to have Mike (and Joe and Neil) as members of the US Hawks!!

Thanks to each of you.    :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:48 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

bobk wrote:
Wow!! It's an honor to have Mike (and Joe and Neil) as members of the US Hawks!!

Absolutely :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :wave:

:wave: ,
Sam

Chapter #4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:33 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Can't say I know too much about Mr. Koman, but I certainly remembered the name when I saw it. A few pictures of Mike appeared in Dan Poynter's book "Hang Gliding" - a real classic. I probably bought the book in '75 or '76 at a sporting goods store (they actually had a standard rogallo suspended from the ceiling). Needless to say, to remember that after so many decades hints at how significantly obsessed I was at the time.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:10 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Bill wrote:
If anyone gets a message to Mike Koman (USHGA 71) ask him if he was near Sea Life Park LZ in 1970 and if he is the one and the same Mike that was called out of the sky with a bull horn. I was the skinny kid standing near your car when the bull horn sounded.

Not Mike Koman, as he was in Philadelphia designing and building hang gliders; then he came to Los Angeles. Mike Koman and I partnered on the Faust-Koman Dial-Soap three-boomer bowsprit hang glider using 1908 technology of Breslau A-frame control and near-Whitehead wing; I had Eipper's sailmaker sew up nylon-ripstop sail. From drawing start to finish our design and build (in backyard of my Venice home): three days. Then flew in commercial without prior testing. I gave my copy of the commercial to Ken for safe keeping; he uploaded to YouTube while imprinting his collection ad in the image.

But "Mike" of your baptism was probably Mike Dorn:
Michael Van Dorn
Mike Van Dorn

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:35 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

That's two great stories ... Bill's first sight of hang gliding and Joe's behind the scenes memory of the famous Dial soap commercial!    :thumbup:

Even if nothing else ever comes of the US Hawks, I'm glad I was able to see you gentlemen swapping stories from those early years. Thanks!!    :clap: