U.S. Hang Gliding Pilots

Post subject: Re: Cecil E. Craigo
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:25 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Cecil E. Craigo is in the Nov. issue of Popular Mechanics in 1961 in a longer article on the flex wing.

Attachments:
File comment: Craigo is third from our view left, hand high holding spreader.
CraigoBowTieHoldingLeftSpreaderEndNovPopMech1961issue.JPG
CraigoBowTieHoldingLeftSpreaderEndNovPopMech1961issue.JPG [ 36.62 KiB | Viewed 4592 times ]

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System

Post subject: Re: Cecil E. Craigo
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:59 am 
Contributor
Contributor

JoeF wrote:
The Craigo, et al, patent has on it a reference to Spratt's US 2128060 that carefully teaches moving CG relative to wing attitudes

The USPTO appears to require some kind of "plug in" to view patents from a certain era, and their "plug-in" is not available for my computer. I wish I could say that it's unbelievable that our government could require any special software to view what should be either plain text or standard JPEG images. Unfortunately, I can't really say that it's unbelievable any more. :(

Post subject: Reading patents ...
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:51 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

BobK,
That has been a struggle ... that special plug-in challenge at USPTO.
Even when I do use the TIFF image viewer plug-in, the feed from USPTO on patents is rarely a smooth experience.
I do have the TIFF plug-in with my Internet Explorer version browser; and when used there are some quality-of-image benefits; but for hobby publishing, I go to the third-party presentations:

So, instead, I depend on the feed from Google Patents and the presentation from http://worldwide.espacenet.com/
Beginning at
http://www.google.com/advanced_patent_search
seems to give a mix of both direct Google database and the expanding Espacenet service;
clicking on choices in those brings PDFs of original documents quite extensively.
================

The apology UPTO gives is found on http://www.uspto.gov/patft/help/images.htm from which I just clip a part here:
Quote:
PTO's full-page images, nearly four terabytes overall, are stored and delivered at full 300 dots per inch (d.p.i.) resolution in an image file format called "TIFF," using CCITT Group 4 compression. This is the format which is required by the international standards to which all patent offices must conform. TIFF is also the most used lossless image format in the world. Unfortunately, due to the volume of the image data, available funding, and other technical considerations, PTO cannot convert these images to a format more popular on the Web either permanently or by converting on-the-fly as they are delivered.

Another dimension to the patent space: There is a huge body of patents in other nations that are simply not US patents, though the US patent collection is huge.

Another launch point that is strong: http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/search.jsf

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System

Post subject: Re: Reading patents ...
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:37 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

JoeF wrote:
The apology UPTO gives is found on http://www.uspto.gov/patft/help/images.htm from which I just clip a part here:
Quote:
PTO's full-page images, nearly four terabytes overall, are stored and delivered at full 300 dots per inch (d.p.i.) resolution in an image file format called "TIFF," using CCITT Group 4 compression. This is the format which is required by the international standards to which all patent offices must conform. TIFF is also the most used lossless image format in the world. Unfortunately, due to the volume of the image data, available funding, and other technical considerations, PTO cannot convert these images to a format more popular on the Web either permanently or by converting on-the-fly as they are delivered.

It's hard to believe that they can't use any of the open source (free) programs available to do the conversion. TIFF files do tend to be huge, so converting them for better compression would probably pay for itself in hard drive space alone.

Your tax dollars at work.    :roll: