Roll up your sleeves, leave your ego at the door...
Forum rules
Speak your mind. Try to be courteous to others.
Don't be too shy to say what you think.
Don't be too proud to say you were wrong.

Discussion of USHPA SOP 12-02.1 through 12-02.11

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:35 pm

Discussion of USHPA SOP 12-02.1 through 12-02.11

I've started this topic to gather views as to the quality of the USHPA hang gliding pilot proficiency system (rating system) as expressed in USHPA SOP 12-02 (specifically 12-02.1 through 12-02.11). In particular, I'd like to see discussions about any items that pilots might feel are so wrong that they should be changed.

For reference, USHPA's SOPs are available from various sources on the web. Please feel free to send me a PM if you'd like a source for those materials. The current materials carry a copyright notice, so please don't publish them beyond what's considered "fair use" in the public domain.

Thanks.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Discussion of USHPA SOP 12-02.1 through 12-02.11

Postby JoeF » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Erase the money trail from the text. Erase the sieve of membership from the text.
Erase the revocable text. Erase u$hPa from the text.
Have zero mention of paragliding, towing, tandem, unenforceable tribal control matters.
Focus just on raw knowledge and raw skills.
Then overlay creative comments with creative helpful links for the mentors and pilots.
Erase text that implies that an org is required for procedures, practice, and performance; keep the text so that the participant remains 100% responsible. Encourage log-diary with notes from many mentors along the way.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:31 pm

I see this USHPA paragliding training missive is copyrighted 1974-2013.
http://flyaboveall.com/pgratings.pdf
Curious, since paragliding was conceived in France at the end of the decade and had nothing to do with Americans.
This makes all copyright claims of the 3PL corporation suspect.
(The document, of course, is destined for the U.S. Hawks circular file.)

FAR 103 requested U.S. citizens who practiced the sport of hang gliding self-regulate their sport.
A response to this governmental request detailing education and training, whether by an individual or entity, is not copyrightable.
Last edited by Rick Masters on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby magentabluesky » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:36 pm

Joe, you are brilliant.

Now substitute "Faust" for focus in the above post:

Faust” just on raw knowledge and raw skills.

Then you will have success, just as Joe is.
magentabluesky
Michael Grisham
magentabluesky
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:33 pm

Rick Masters wrote:I see this USHPA paragliding training missive is copyrighted 1974-2013.
http://flyaboveall.com/pgratings.pdf

This is interesting. However, the copyright dates are updated whenever any section of the U$hPa's S.O.P.s are changed. But still, the USHGA had no PG rating system in 1974. So when between then and 2013 did a supposed copyright begin for the PG rating system?

A bigger question might be, are the U$hPa's S.O.P.s copyrightable at all? What does S.O.P.s stand for? Standard Operating Procedures? hmmmmm, . . . US Copyright Office info says that "systems and procedures" are not copyrightable. So it would seem that putting the word copyright on this U$hPa doc is simply a bluff. Or somebody at U$hPa is ignorant of US copyright law. Maybe they could change the name to Standard Operating Guidelines. :thumbup: :clap: :problem:

But, hey, I do think the magazine and much of its contents are copyrightable.
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Forum Statistics