Another plus to free flight Dockweiler Mon & Tues

Honoring the rich history and bright future of gliding at Dockweiler Beach

Another plus to free flight Dockweiler Mon & Tues

Postby Frank Colver » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:12 am

There is another plus to our having achieved free flying days at Dockweiler when the concessionaire is closed, on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Sites that are controlled by USHPA, through their insurance, do not allow the flying of homebuilt or experimental hang gliders. Dockweiler's legacy is that of the pioneering site for the birth of modern sport hang gliding. In the 1960's and very early 70's that was the place to go to try out what you had just built. The soft sand forgave your aerodynamic and pilot input mistakes.

For many years that historic site was shut out of its legacy. Beginning with its closure to all hang gliding and then to USHPA's control over Windsports operation, where they could not allow any homebuilts under USHPA rules. It would appear that those rules were violated at some of our four Otto meets thus far.

Fortunately, through the successful efforts of Bob Kuczewski, with a little help from his friends, if I build my Basic Trainer HG design I will be able to test it at Dockweiler Beach, on Mondays and Tuesdays, in keeping with the long tradition of that historic site.

History lives on,
Frank Colver
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Another plus to free flight Dockweiler Mon & Tues

Postby Rick Masters » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:17 am

...they could not allow any homebuilts under USHPA rules.

No wonder hang gliding has changed so little in 30 years!
It is unimaginable that the people who re-invented hang gliding would prohibit people from re-inventing hang gliding.
This is the representative organization for hang glider pilots? I don't think so.
That in itself should be reason enough to ditch the USHPA and form a national association that represents the wishes of hang glider pilots.

In my award-winning documentary film, "Aoli, Comet Clones and Pod People (1982)," I narrated:

WHEN SERIOUS CROSS COUNTRY HANG GLIDING COMPETITIONS BEGAN AT THE END OF THE 1970s,
THE RIGID WINGS LIKE THIS MANTA FLEDGLING HAD SUCH A PRONOUNCED PERFORMANCE ADVANTAGE
OVER THE FLEX WINGS THAT THEY WERE PLACED INTO A SEPARATE CLASS ALL TO THEMSELVES.
BUT DON PARTRIDGE DESIGNATED THE OPEN AS AN UNLIMITED CLASS OPEN TO FLEXWINGS AND RIGID WINGS.
NOBODY EXPECTED THAT THE FLEX WINGS WOULD BEAT THE RIGID WINGS,
ESPECIALLY WHEN THE PILOTS WERE FLYING WINGS LIKE ERIC RAYMOND'S SUNSEED,
PROBABLY THE FASTEST HANG GLIDER IN THE WORLD.
BUT LARRY TUDOR OF UTAH DID JUST THAT.
FLYING AN OWENS VALLEY RACER, A SPECIAL MYLAR COATED COMET 2, HE WON THE OPEN.
AND ERIC HAD TO SETTLE FOR SECOND PLACE.
http://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2832&sid=d31e82bec718d53817a535be5f0e4df5

In the 1981 XC Open, Don Partridge allowed any pilot to fly any fanciful contraption he wished.
That's when the Comets and Pod People showed up.
In 1982, Joe Binns arrived with one of Bill Pain's an amazing, high-aspect ratio "Alien" prototypes.
Tight as a drum, it had state-of-the-art carbon fiber tensioners on the wingtips.
https://www.delta-club-82.com/bible/853-hang-glider-alien.htm
It was recognized throughout the sport that the Owens Valley competitions pushed the development of hang gliding more than any other competition.
But when "uncertified" designs were banned by the national association at their insured sights - without a peep from the docile membership - the evolution of hang gliding froze.
You might think the only thing of significance has been removing the top wires, but Dick Boone did that with his Dawn in, I think, in 1980.
Congratulations to the revitalized pioneering hang glider pilots who are opening up hang gliding development again in 2017 and 2018!     :salute:

BTW, what's so "certified and safe" about deadly paragliders?
With around 100 paraglider deaths worldwide every year, any "certification" is clearly a joke.
But don't try to fly a homebuilt hang glider on a USHPA sand dune!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's time a bunch of people woke up.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society