SITE RECORD BROKEN!!!

Honoring the rich history and bright future of gliding at Dockweiler Beach

SITE RECORD BROKEN!!!

Postby Frank Colver » Mon May 28, 2018 10:11 pm

Today. May 28, 2018 Bob Kuczewski broke the site record at Dockweiler Beach CA by making over 100 flights in a single day and carrying his glider (Falcon 195) a total of 2500+ feet up the soft sandy 25 foot ridge. The previous record of 66 flights was held by Windsports instructor Bob Bendetson. Joe Faust had recently come close to that record with 60 flights in a day.

In my opinion, the soft surface makes the climb about twice as difficult as climbing a hard surface hillside. Therefore I'm going to credit him with physically climbing about 5,000 feet, carrying the glider, while making over 100 flights to the beach.

The official judge was Joe Faust who kept a meticulous record of each flight. Recording time of day, some wind speed, length of launch run and distance out on the beach for the landings. I made a video record of the significant milestone flights. I'll post a link to the videos later.

Whereas, Bob could have benefitted from landing close to the hill to eliminate a deep sand walk back, before beginning the climb. he attempted to get as far out as possible each time and during periods of higher wind he would use some ridge lift for longer flights.

The reason I say it was over 100 flights is because I left after making a video of the 100th flight (I was getting cold in the evening sea breeze) and Bob was still making flights.

Congratulations to BobK, :!: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :!:

Frank C.
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Re: SITE RECORD BROKEN!!!

Postby JoeF » Tue May 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Memorial Day or Decoration Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the people who died while serving in the country's armed forces.
===================
A great way for a ranger to honor the day:
new world site record:
102 fall arrests:
102 launches
102 flights
102 landings
102 carry backs and carry ups
102 awe-inspiring expressions that wowed hundreds of spectators
He worked past pains and cramps and entered a "second wind" to match 2nd place (60), then to match first place of 66, then to surpass standing world record, then to match the Olympian official's age mark of 75, then to match the site's friends' president's age of 83, then to be the guy honoring Jerry Katz' "100-mile hang glider flight history marker with a "100", and then to go for 101 to supply a 101 less one slight stumbly landing for 100, and then to conclude with 102 just to cover all grounds of contention. Thanks, Bob Kuczewski for honoring hang gliding, honoring friends, and honoring those who died while serving to protect our nation. Giving 102 salutes to ranger Bob Kuczewski!
:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
:salute: :salute:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed May 30, 2018 12:34 am

Frank and Joe,

Without you, that new record would not have been set.

You both helped free up Dockweiler for non-ushpa members to fly, and you were both there to witness and support my effort.

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Wed May 30, 2018 12:21 pm

Dockweiler Ironman!         :salute:
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Free » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:48 pm

Rick beat me to it.
The fist thing that came to mind when I read this was "Ironman".
I am humbled to know you Bob.
How did you feel the next day?
Free
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Ha! Bob called me the next day to ask how I was! My reply was a question: "Why are you asking me"?

I sat in a chair, at the edge of the bluff, most of the day taking photos and videos of Bob's flights (my Condor stayed on top of my truck).

I also tried to get Bob to agree to spend the night at Joe's place, in Pasadena, and not make the 2 hour drive back to San Diego at night, after so much physical exertion. He wouldn't make the commitment. Later that night I got a call from Bob. I said: I hope you are at Joe's"? He replied that he was almost home in San Diego.

Yes. Ironman it is. WHAT A GUY :!:

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:53 am

.... WOW ... :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

:wave:
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Here's a photo of Bob on his 100th flight of the day, and with hands off of the bar. :thumbup: :salute:

Frank

Bob is on his 100th flight of the day at Dockweiler.jpg
Bob is on his 100th flight of the day at Dockweiler.jpg (286.58 KiB) Viewed 12545 times
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:52 am

I've also been wondering how Bob felt the next day. :?: A little sore here and there, Bob?

I would also modify Ironman to AluminumMan or maybe Aluminum-Dacron (Alumi-Dacro) Man? That iron stuff is VERY heavy and hard to get in the air!
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:59 pm

wingspan33 wrote:I would also modify Ironman to AluminumMan or maybe Aluminum-Dacron (Alumi-Dacro) Man? That iron stuff is VERY heavy and hard to get in the air!

I think iron fits. I am heavy and hard to get off the ground!! :lol:

wingspan33 wrote:I've also been wondering how Bob felt the next day. :?: A little sore here and there, Bob?

Actually, it wasn't as bad as I expected. My leg muscles were cramping on and off during the last 30 carries, but I had an Olympian coach reminding me to stay hydrated. Thanks Joe!! :thumbup:
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society