Greetings!

Club forum for the Shasta Sky Sailors / Shasta Hawks

Re: Greetings!

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:39 pm

BigBird wrote:Joe Faust - a true living legend. Do a web search, you'll see...

In addition to being a founding member of USHGA (Member #5), Joe is a former Olympian, an avid historian, one of the founding members of the HGAA, and one of the founding members of the US Hawks. It is a great privilege for us that Joe makes a considerable effort to post here on the US Hawks on a regular basis. Thanks Joe, and thanks BigBird!!
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:02 am

Hi FlyinBrian,

It's good to see another new Chapter created within the US Hawks!

One question (or maybe a few) I have is in connection with:

. . . our club decided that liability issues had become too great for us to continue our involvement at the site . . .

I'm wondering what the "issues" were? Were people flying that were not club or USHPA members? Did the Forrest Service want greater liability coverage?

Since the USHPA seems to have done nothing (or not enough?) to help, it sounds like a fairly significant set of problems.

Not that different from an accident investigation, knowing as much as possible about the reasons a club finds itself abandoning a long term flying site makes it more likely that solutions may be found. Also, it becomes more likely that other clubs may avoid a similar result. And who knows, perhaps another group has found solutions to similar problems as you are experiencing.

As they say: Knowledge Is Power!
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:13 am

Brian, Bird,
I too would like to know what the issues were. Maybe that answer is elsewhere on the Shasta Sky Sailors Club’s website. I’ll click around.

I intend to advocate that the RGSA club should never hold an official flying gathering at our new Magdalena Rim Site on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land,
If we only fun fly there we are good to go. The BLM is aware that we fly the site and as long as we carry up (non-motorized portage cart really.) the last 570 yards from the barbed wire fence the BLM is fine with that.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Shasta Sky Sailors / Shasta Hawks