RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:50 pm

RGSA/Hawks,
Monday is four days away as I type this but conditions look good for Volcanic Peak. (West southwest of Las Cruces, New Mexico (USA).
If forecast holds (Fat Chance) winter clothes will be required.
Robin and I are going to follow the forecast for the next four day and run out there if it's NNE.
Robin in the LZ @ Volcanic Peak.JPG
Robin in the LZ @ Volcanic Peak.JPG (48.68 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:03 pm

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2018:
Well, yes. Airtime was obtained today. Briefly. Bill and I arrived at the Volcanic Peak launch about 10:30, listening to the northeast wind singing through the tower. It sure looked soarable to me! Temperature was 40 degrees or so, though skies were gradually getting cloudier, and I started setting up the U2-160. By the time I was ready, however, the wind had become cyclical, from 5 mph (or less) up to 15 mph. About noon I launched in 15. and by the time I reached the end of the ridge it had dropped to almost nothing. I made one turn, headed back towards launch, and by the time I got halfway back I was below the road. I turned out to the landing zone, and I didn't quite reach the flag, though my landing was decent. So, it was a flight, but it wasn't the flight the forecasts had led us to hope for. By the time Bill and I reached home, the winds had shifted from the morning's north and northeast to southeast, and early cloudless skies had turned to snow flurries. What a day! But there's truth in the comment, "A bad day flying still beats a good day working." We were glad to be out there again.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:03 pm

RobinHastings wrote:MONDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2018:
Well, yes. Airtime was obtained today. Briefly. Bill and I arrived at the Volcanic Peak launch about 10:30, listening to the northeast wind singing through the tower. It sure looked soarable to me! Temperature was 40 degrees or so, though skies were gradually getting cloudier, and I started setting up the U2-160. By the time I was ready, however, the wind had become cyclical, from 5 mph (or less) up to 15 mph. About noon I launched in 15. and by the time I reached the end of the ridge it had dropped to almost nothing. I made one turn, headed back towards launch, and by the time I got halfway back I was below the road. I turned out to the landing zone, and I didn't quite reach the flag, though my landing was decent. So, it was a flight, but it wasn't the flight the forecasts had led us to hope for. By the time Bill and I reached home, the winds had shifted from the morning's north and northeast to southeast, and early cloudless skies had turned to snow flurries. What a day! But there's truth in the comment, "A bad day flying still beats a good day working." We were glad to be out there again.
-Robin

https://youtu.be/6aMfj8kSFN0
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association