RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Little Florida Mountain, Deming NM (USA)

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Little Florida Mountain, Deming NM (USA)

Postby RobinHastings » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:36 pm

February 2, 2019 (Groundhog Day):
Bill and I headed out from Las Cruces about 08:00 today. By 10:00 we were approaching the launch site at the Little Floridas. Conditions today were - well, undecided. Sometimes overcast, sometimes sunny, with winds 15 mph out of the west/southwest, except when they gusted over 20. Bill launched about 11:35, into some relatively smooth conditions, and just beamed on up - within seconds he was 100 feet up, and still climbing. Ultimately he soared for 40 minutes, and got 2000 feet over the mountain. He could have stayed up longer, and maybe headed out for Interstate 10 and Las Cruces, to the east, but he didn't like the virga and other atmospheric uncertainties the day was showing. He was still tearing down the glider when I reached him at 12:45. We took some time out to do some maintenance on the road to our landing zone, then headed home to Las Cruces. (The day, of course, looked nicer and nicer and the afternoon wore on.) The temperature was nice, the company was great, and I sure enjoyed seeing Bill in the air again. There's a Superbowl tomorrow? I think we already won our game, today.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:25 am

Up, up, and AWAY!!!

20190203_002050.png
20190203_002050.png (306.63 KiB) Viewed 434 times

Happy 70th Bill!!!    :wave:

20190203_002221.png
20190203_002221.png (419.84 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
"History is never recorded by truth never told." - Warren ("Free")
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:06 am

Saturday, March 9, 2019:
We had a good day at the Little Floridas. There are poppies beginning to bloom, and the land is emerging from winter. Jim and Pam MacNutt, from Vermont, are staying in Las Cruces for a month. Jim is a Hang 4, flying a Falcon 4 (coincidence?) and with Bill Cummings he flew the site today. Jim launched in a 20 mph wind at 1:40 pm MST while I leaped out of his way, and he shot up into the air after one step. Bill took off in his Sport 2 at 1:52 pm, in a calmer, 15 mph cycle. They flew as long as they wanted, while I drove Bill's XTerra down to the LZ - though they got about 1000 ft over the mountain, they didn't feel like it was a cross country day. Bill eventually got cold up there (it was 51 degrees) and Jim's shoulders finally got tired at an hour and a half, so they both touched down near the flag a couple of minutes before I pulled up. We got home at 5:00 in time for a spaghetti dinner courtesy of Terry Cummings, at which Pam and my wife Nancy soon appeared, and a very fine evening ensued. Meeting new, nice people is as fun as flying! Or driving for them, as the case may be. I'd have to call it a very good day to be in New Mexico.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:37 am

RobinHastings wrote:Saturday, March 9, 2019:
We had a good day at the Little Floridas. There are poppies beginning to bloom, and the land is emerging from winter. Jim and Pam MacNutt, from Vermont, are staying in Las Cruces for a month. Jim is a Hang 4, flying a Falcon 4 (coincidence?) and with Bill Cummings he flew the site today. Jim launched in a 20 mph wind at 1:40 pm MST while I leaped out of his way, and he shot up into the air after one step. Bill took off in his Sport 2 at 1:52 pm, in a calmer, 15 mph cycle. They flew as long as they wanted, while I drove Bill's XTerra down to the LZ - though they got about 1000 ft over the mountain, they didn't feel like it was a cross country day. Bill eventually got cold up there (it was 51 degrees) and Jim's shoulders finally got tired at an hour and a half, so they both touched down near the flag a couple of minutes before I pulled up. We got home at 5:00 in time for a spaghetti dinner courtesy of Terry Cummings, at which Pam and my wife Nancy soon appeared, and a very fine evening ensued. Meeting new, nice people is as fun as flying! Or driving for them, as the case may be. I'd have to call it a very good day to be in New Mexico.
-Robin

Visiting pilot Jim Mc. launches from the Little Florida Mountains just 8 miles SE of Deming, New Mexico (USA).
Bill C. launches after Jim. Robin H. does a tumbling routine off the end of the launch ramp. (Low points were awarded due to his feet not being together and his toes not being pointed. However he did stick the landing on our edge of the cliff.)
https://youtu.be/7bBRe8bbtxQ

DO WE LOOK LIKE PROFESSIONALS OR WHAT?
Snapshot 1 (3-10-2019 7-54 PM).png
Snapshot 1 (3-10-2019 7-54 PM).png (576.47 KiB) Viewed 313 times
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:46 pm

Well, looking at that video, it's clear that I "took one for the team". Just don't count on that for every launch! And Nancy suggested that I start wearing a helmet for this kind of duty. Ah, wives - so overprotective...
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association