RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

GroupMe app is great! Oh, and I'm buying a tow rig.

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

GroupMe app is great! Oh, and I'm buying a tow rig.

Postby Wyatt » Sun May 29, 2016 9:53 am

Hey, everyone! As you probably know, I'm from AZ. The two clubs over there have been using an app called GroupMe to post flight plans. It's basically like texting, but in a group. It's super easy and convenient, and I could set one up for everyone here. All you have to do is download the app, give me your phone number and I'll add you to the group. It beats scrolling through a lot of emails. All you have to do is hit the GroupMe app on your phone and you can see if anyone is flying, or post up your own flight plans. What do you guys think?

Oh, I'm buying my own tow rig here in the next couple months, and I'm teaching the old lady how to tow. Too far of a drive for me just to get a sledder at the local hills, towing offers far superior wait time to air time ratio. I'll have 4500 feet of spectra and a retrieve driver with a ham radio license, so if you got your HAM license we can use repeaters and track you down when you land.

I am a certified tow tech and would appreciate having a few volunteers come out and get towed (by me) so I can show her how to use the rewind. I won't have her towing anyone else until she has given me many tows. My idea is to have a few other pilots out there who i train as tow techs, and we can all tow each other and trade off being tow tech and retrieve drivers when my (future) wife is not available. For those who are not interested in XC, I can tow you for morning flights and then you can tow me and chase me once it turns on. I will also probably be taking the tow rig near mountain sites that are poorly accessible or blown out for mountain launching, tor do ridge soaring or glass-offs. I will not be charging for my tows, I just ask that you learn how to tow so we can tow each other. And that you pitch in for gas money if my Tahoe retrieves you.

So, the GroupMe thing ties into this, because I'll be using it to post flying plans with the winch whenever that happens.
Wyatt
Contributor
Contributor

Re: GroupMe app is great! Oh, and I'm buying a tow rig.

Postby SamKellner » Mon May 30, 2016 7:15 pm

Wyatt,

What tow rig are you buying?
:wave:
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Re: GroupMe app is great! Oh, and I'm buying a tow rig.

Postby Wyatt » Tue May 31, 2016 10:00 pm

It's a Quantum winch. Made in South Africa, and one of the (if not the) best selling winch (es) in the world. It's very simple, anyone can operate it. I've been towed with one in central TX a few times, in arguably some of the rowdiest air in the nation, and it gave me very smooth and predictable tows.
Wyatt
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association