RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Dry Canyon Alamogordo, NM (USA)

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Dry Canyon Alamogordo, NM (USA)

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:09 am

RobinHastings wrote:FRIDAY, JULY 7, 2017:
Bill and I met up with Arthur Simoneau in the Cox Field LZ about 9;30 this morning; by 10:15 we were once again at the Dry Canyon launch site. Bill didn't like the easterly flow in the forecast, and so had volunteered to drive this day. Conditions were indeed unsettled. Wind at the ramp was either zero, or downhill, and clouds overhead were moving from the east and northeast. Nevertheless, the forecast was for southwest winds, and eventually we got some, but only after several dust devils went through launch, one of which attacked my glider, viciously and unprovoked. Bill saved the glider heroically, and banished the dust devil to the hell from which it came. Arthur was the first to launch, about 1:00 pm in his Airborne Sting, and it was interesting to watch; he flew well, got into a thermal, got out of a thermal, and plummeted like a brick. But when I spotted him thermalling out past the West Face, I decided I was ready to go. I launched well, as Arthur did, and had a rhythmic, musical flight - in other words, I flew like a piano. I hit a couple of rough thermals and gained a few feet, but mostly I was plummeting downward in the U2-160, clearing Curt's Bluff by about 100 feet and then praying that I'd find some lift and clear the power lines on Scenic Drive. God responded with some lift right then (God is much faster than most government agencies, you'll notice) and I cleared them by 50 feet or so. This was good, but left me with limited landing options - I put it down in the large cutout on Fairgrounds Drive between Cox Field and Scenic. Not bad, for a death-defying sled run. Arthur, on the other hand, had a great time, getting up to 2000 feet above launch height and flying for half an hour. He made a fine north approach to the LZ and put it down beautifully. Bill and Arthur were there to help me with tearing down, and by 3:30 we were all at the burger place, discussing the day's flying and all kinds of other hang gliding experiences. Arthur said goodbye about 4:00; he and his girlfriend have to return to Southern California by Monday. Good times all around, and I surely hope that we see him again. And THANK YOU, BILL! I wouldn't have flown without your help.
-Robin

Robin H. left - Arthur S. right. Dry 7.7.17.JPG
Robin H. left - Arthur S. right. Dry 7.7.17.JPG (31.21 KiB) Viewed 6114 times

https://youtu.be/B9hiUDhD7iY
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Thank you, Bill, for another excellent video. I can learn from this - and, of course, relive all my mistakes, for as long as the Cloud and YouTube exist. It's too bad we didn't have the camera on for Arthur's launch - he had a really nice one. All in all, I'm glad we went out to fly. And so nice that nobody wound up in the power lines!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:06 pm

Nice flight Robin !!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bill's captions had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish!!    :shock:

I'm glad this movie had a happy ending.    :thumbup:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:48 pm

WHEW!!! :o

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:24 pm

I love this thread because it shows so much of what hang gliding is all about.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:02 pm

If you had been in a paraglider you probably wouldn't have been able to make it out to that LZ but, more importantly, do you think you would have had at least one collapse in that turbulence? :problem:

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:21 pm

That day and time, at that site, were not appropriate for flying PG's. I'm pretty sure of that. It darned near wasn't appropriate for hang gliders, either! Arthur made it happen, somehow, and my hat (helmet?) is off to him. That was one of my more white-knuckle experiences.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:18 am

Thanks Robin.

I had a flight at Guadalupe Dunes CA, many years ago, that I know would have killed me in a PG. At less than 200' AGL I was getting loud sail inversions on my WW SST which didn't have full length battens. But having a rigid airframe kept the sail in position to pop back up as quickly as it popped down. It was while I was taking PG flight lessons, several years ago, that I realized I wouldn't be there then, had I been in a PG during that long ago flight. I turned away from PG lessons that day and as they say: "never looked back".

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:02 pm

August 11, 2017: Bill Cummings volunteered to drive for me, and the weekend is going to be wet, so off we went to Dry Canyon this morning, hoping I could catch some airtime. Winds were straight in at launch, and the skies were clear blue - westward. Eastward looked like the wrath of the gods in preparation. We waited a while with the glider still on the truck, waiting for a sign as the clouds came slowly closer from the Sacramentos to the east, and slowly got darker and darker. About a minute after I said, "OK, let's head back down - this does not look optimal," the sign came, as a rumble of thunder came to our ears. Good enough! We had already spent our waiting time in doing some ramp maintenance (among other things we put in a little water bar just above it), and on the way back down the road we picked up all the trash we could see. The heavens opened up as we left Alamogordo, and we nodded sagely and said, "Not a bad decision." There will be better days.
-Robin

Bill-at-Dry-08-11-17.JPG
Bill Cummings at Dry Canyon launch, looking out on a beautiful day to the west.
Bill-at-Dry-08-11-17.JPG (56.11 KiB) Viewed 5956 times

Robin_08-11-17.JPG
Robin at launch, looking east. Who'd have expected an outbreak of common sense, eh?
Robin_08-11-17.JPG (63.69 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 pm

RobinHastings wrote:August 11, 2017: Bill Cummings volunteered to drive for me, and the weekend is going to be wet, so off we went to Dry Canyon this morning, hoping I could catch some airtime. Winds were straight in at launch, and the skies were clear blue - westward. Eastward looked like the wrath of the gods in preparation. We waited a while with the glider still on the truck, waiting for a sign as the clouds came slowly closer from the Sacramentos to the east, and slowly got darker and darker. About a minute after I said, "OK, let's head back down - this does not look optimal," the sign came, as a rumble of thunder came to our ears. Good enough! We had already spent our waiting time in doing some ramp maintenance (among other things we put in a little water bar just above it), and on the way back down the road we picked up all the trash we could see. The heavens opened up as we left Alamogordo, and we nodded sagely and said, "Not a bad decision." There will be better days.
-Robin

The attachment Bill-at-Dry-08-11-17.JPG is no longer available

The attachment Robin_08-11-17.JPG is no longer available

Dry Canyon Launch Rd Garbage pickup.JPG
Dry Canyon Launch Rd Garbage pickup.JPG (78.78 KiB) Viewed 5953 times

Once again RGSA picking up after all the other Goops!
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association