RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Memorial Day Fly-In in Alamogordo, New Mexico

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Memorial Day Fly-In in Alamogordo, New Mexico

Postby RobinHastings » Mon May 27, 2019 1:38 pm

Here's a few pictures from the Fly-In on Saturday. Thanks to Alamogordo and the USFS for the use of the launch and LZ, and to all who came to help - Wyatt, Terry, Nancy, Finis, Steve and Steve. The Tom & Cindy West Memorial Fun Fly was a fine and safe event!
-Robin

SteveCrye_publicity_post.JPG
Fun Fly 2019. Photo by Steve Crye.
SteveCrye_publicity_post.JPG (98.09 KiB) Viewed 7299 times

Robin_from_SteveCrye_atLaunch.JPG
Robin just after launch. Photo by Steve Crye.
Robin_from_SteveCrye_atLaunch.JPG (71.12 KiB) Viewed 7299 times

RobinInSport2.JPG
Robin setting up for final approach.
RobinInSport2.JPG (21.28 KiB) Viewed 7299 times

RobinOnFinal_05-25-19.JPG
Coming in! Robin on final approach. Photo by Nancy Hastings.
RobinOnFinal_05-25-19.JPG (92.29 KiB) Viewed 7299 times

SteveInFlight.JPG
Steve Ford at Dry Canyon, May 25, 2019.
SteveInFlight.JPG (17.88 KiB) Viewed 7299 times

SteveFordLanding.JPG
Steve Ford putting it down after a half-hour glassoff.
SteveFordLanding.JPG (65.36 KiB) Viewed 7299 times

Robin&Steve_5-25-19.JPG
Good glassoffs! Photo by Nancy Hastings.
Robin&Steve_5-25-19.JPG (90.59 KiB) Viewed 7299 times

SunsetPavilion_05-25-19.JPG
Sunset - just about the time Steve and Wyatt are flying. Photo by Nancy.
SunsetPavilion_05-25-19.JPG (44.89 KiB) Viewed 7299 times

SteveCrye_Glassoff.JPG
The sunset from Steve Crye's perspective.
SteveCrye_Glassoff.JPG (84.42 KiB) Viewed 7299 times

Steve_SunsetFlight.JPG
Steve Crye above Cox Field. Photo by Nancy Hastings.
Steve_SunsetFlight.JPG (16.65 KiB) Viewed 7299 times

SteveCrye_Landing_052519.JPG
Steve putting it down by the flag.
SteveCrye_Landing_052519.JPG (49.67 KiB) Viewed 7299 times

Wyatt_Lines_landing.JPG
Wyatt Lines in the twilight - winner of the Spot Landing trophy.
Wyatt_Lines_landing.JPG (25.72 KiB) Viewed 7299 times
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Tue May 28, 2019 9:22 pm

If you'd like to see a short video of our 2019 fly-in from Finis Miller, go to this site: https://vimeo.com/splododyne
And Steve Crye supplied a video of his PG flight as well: https://youtu.be/lF2vw2eqdNY
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:37 am

It only took 6 years from Bill's original request, but I finally wrote the "BBCode" tags to embed Vimeo videos in the forum. Here's how to use both the "vimeo" and "youtube" tags in the forum:

Original links:
    https://vimeo.com/338775551
    https://youtu.be/lF2vw2eqdNY

How to use new "vimeo" (and older "youtube") BBCode tags:
    [vimeo]338775551[/vimeo]
    [youtube]lF2vw2eqdNY[/youtube]

Embedded videos:

Thanks Robin, Bill, and the RGSA!!    :wave:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks for making that visible, Bob. I enjoyed rehashing our fly-in from back in May. It's time to prepare now for the Columbus Day Gathering in October. (October 11 through 14.)
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Nate » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:01 am

How is it looking for this year? I am planning on making the fly-in or unofficial fly in. Planning on being in El Paso that week.
Nate
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:47 pm

Hi, Nate! We are hoping to put on the Fun Fly again, but will have to discuss it in our online meeting this Saturday. Our governor in New Mexico wants social distancing and lockdown of nonessential activities until May 15. New Mexico has done pretty well with this pandemic so far. I went out flying yesterday at Magdalena Rim, with 5 PG pilots, and the flying was excellent. (Hang gliding counts as "essential", doesn't it?) I am looking forward to seeing you again around Memorial Day!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Tue May 05, 2020 10:35 am

The Memorial Day Weekend Fun Fly is a go, as per the decision of the RGSA membership at our meeting on May 2nd. It will last from May 22 to May 25, 2020, depending on the weather (which, right now, is pretty nice - but I'll start making forecasts around May 18th). It'll be pretty low key this year, due to the current plague, but on the plus side, we have scheduled a roadwork day on May 9th. So we'll hope to have the journey up to launch a little less bouncy. We probably can't camp out in the Cox Field LZ, as I expect some social-distancing rules to be ongoing, and we'll have to see what the barbecue and restaurant options are around then, too. (Picnics, anyone? Hey, who's bringing the potato salad?) But I am looking forward to some fine flying and visiting then. Bring your masks if you have one, just in case, and let's adapt to whatever the circumstances are. Wyatt Lines will be the Meet Head, and I'll be up on top as Launch Director. See you all then, I hope!
-Robin
575-541-5744 home
575-386-8212 cell
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Sat May 09, 2020 7:21 pm

May 9, 2020:
In preparation for our Memorial Day Fun Fly in two weeks, RGSA VP Wyatt Lines joined me in working on the Dry Canyon road today. We filled in several gaping holes and made it better (we hope) for a decent 4WD to make it up to launch. It took only a couple of hours, then I drove his truck down while Wyatt had a 1-hr, 12-minute PG flight in very light, hazy conditions. Perfect landing in Cox Field. It was a good, productive day, and we'll hope to be ready for visitors when Memorial Day comes around.
-Robin

Wyatt's_Road_Repair_5-9-20.JPG
Wyatt with the work we did this day - no more show stoppers, we hope!
Wyatt's_Road_Repair_5-9-20.JPG (92.19 KiB) Viewed 5875 times

WyattAboveAlamo_May9-2020.JPG
Wyatt above Alamogordo - May 9, 2020. Good flight!
WyattAboveAlamo_May9-2020.JPG (49.67 KiB) Viewed 5875 times

WyattLanding_May9-2020.JPG
Perfect touchdown.
WyattLanding_May9-2020.JPG (97.41 KiB) Viewed 5875 times
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Fri May 15, 2020 5:12 pm

Friday, May 15: The weather for the Fun Fly in a week looks very promising. Clear, not too windy, not too hot (mid-80s for highs). Winds out of the west and southwest. It should be ideal for Dry Canyon. New Mexico has just opened a number of its state parks and relaxed some restrictions. Still, the governor wants no groupings of 5 or more, and no public gatherings that are nonessential. I caution visitors, then, to bring a mask along, just in case, and we'll have to keep our distance when socializing. Maybe gather to visit in some agreed on place besides the LZ. (Fly, then flee? Gosh, what has the world come to?) But the weather is the best for a fly-in that I have seen in years, so come on down and let's have fun! Give me a call if I can answer any questions for you.
-Robin
575-541-5744 home
575-386-8212 cell
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 pm

Friday, May 22, 2020:
First day of the gathering! We had 5 Texas pilots in the Cox Field LZ when I arrived about 09:00: Rich Reinhauer, Greg Chastain, Tony Conger, Chris Chaney, and Nate Wreyford. We also had Charlie Schneider and Vanessa in their super-van, out from Austin - Charlie's knee wouldn't let him fly this time, but it was great to see them again. In an epic triumph of determination over natural forces, we got all 5 pilots, their hang gliders and their gear past torn-up portions of the Dry Canyon road, and finally to the launch. I was supposed to be the driver, but Greg (who is our XC record holder for flex wings - 132 miles, to Vaughn and beyond) had the wrong basetube for his glider. Conditions were clear, moderately windy, and thermally - we could see dust devils out over the Tularosa Basin. After the other four launched, quite successfully, and had fine soaring flights (Nate went XC 30 miles to Three Rivers) Greg drove Rich's Nissan Armada back down. There Terry Cummings awaited us with T-shirts, hats and other RGSA apparel for sale, and Finis Miller awaited the call to be the Hell On Wheels driver. We all visited briefly, then three Texans headed north after Nate, Tony departed back to Texas, and the rest of us dispersed for the day. I'd call it a pretty successful one. I plan to return with my 4WD Tacoma on Saturday, and take pilots to launch as early as possible (strong winds are forecast for the afternoon there). So far, so good, in this most unusual Coronavirus Fun Fly.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association