RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Weekend Weather

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Weekend Weather

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:02 am

FRIDAY, AUGUST 16 through SUNDAY, AUGUST 18, 2019:
This is a pretty good weekend for getting airtime, though it'll be a hot one - high temperatures around 100 F again (38 C). It looks pretty dry, too, so at least overdevelopment should not be a problem. No jetstream overhead, so the winds will tend to be light. Friday, light west and southwest for Alamogordo, El Paso and Las Cruces, moderate to strong northwest around Deming. On Saturday, a lot of northwest - though I noticed that at Gray Hill, west of Magdalena, we'll get light to moderate west winds for a while. Good for new pilots, maybe. Sunday, it looks like light to moderate west and southwest in Alamogordo, light west in El Paso, light WNW in Las Cruces. My recommendations? Dry Canyon and La Luz should be flyable throughout the weekend (look at La Luz NW launch on Saturday). Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch in El Paso ought to be OK for PG's on Friday and Sunday (might be too northwest on Saturday). Mag Rim might work early on Friday, but too westerly the rest of the weekend. And the LIttle Floridas look fairly good on Saturday. Towing at the Sod Farms looks good all weekend. If you go out, wear a hat and take lots of water. I should be available all weekend for anyone that wants to try some flying - Juan Mira is supposed to be back in Hobbs for a few days, and may want some airtime, and Byron Stevens is eager to keep progressing. Fly safe, everyone!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:39 am

FRIDAY, AUGUST 23 through SUNDAY, AUGUST 25, 2019:
This looks like another flyable weekend, but you have to choose wisely. It'll be hot, but not as hot as recent weekends (90 to 95 F); dry, but clouds will still be seen. Winds are mostly light to moderate. We'll see more northwest winds than last weekend. On Friday, we should see some northwest winds, mostly light; in El Paso, it should be light west in the morning, then fairly strong south in the evening. On Saturday it looks like light WNW most places, light west in El Paso, light WSW in Las Cruces. On Sunday, about the same, but strong west in Deming, and moderate WNW around Gray Hill. I'd say that on Friday La Luz looks good, Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch should work, and Gray Hill should be ideal for training flights. On Saturday, La Luz, Agave Hill & Nelson's Launch, Gray Hill and perhaps the Little Floridas will work. On Sunday La Luz might work, though it'll be pretty light, and the El Paso sites again. Little Floridas look like a blowout, with winds on the ground 12-18 mph from the west, and once again Gray Hill should work, on its northwest side. I don't see any problem with towing at the Sod Farms all weekend. I'm not sure of my schedule this weekend, but give me a call if you feel like flying somewhere. Mentoring a new pilot at Gray Hill is certainly possible, too. Keep in touch, and have some safe flights!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 pm

FRIDAY, AUGUST 30 through SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 1:
Our summer conditions are typically hard to predict, and this weekend trends that way. We might get some rain - or not. We might get temperature highs of 90 to 95 F (32 to 34 C). We might get some wind, if there are thunderstorms - otherwise, probably not. The jetstream will not trouble us, though - I'm sure of that much. Whatever prevailing winds we get will be light. On Friday, it looks like light ESE in Alamogordo; light SSW morning and light SE evening in El Paso; light S then SSE in Las Cruces; light S then moderate N in Deming. No good flying spots that I can see. Maybe Gray Hill will be OK, where it should be light NW. Saturday, Alamogordo sees light SW in the morning (Dry Canyon and La Luz might be good for sled rides) then E starting about noon. Light to moderate ESE elsewhere. Sunday, Alamo looks light SW in the morning, light SSE afternoon - Dry Canyon might work. SE and E everywhere else. Anapra might be good a little later in the day. Gray Hill will be very light NE on Saturday and light SE on Sunday - no flying there, I think. It looks like Sunday, with steadier winds, might be the best day for towing at the Sod Farms. In conclusion, this doesn't look like a top weekend for foot-launched flying in our area, but I'm glad to be proven wrong in that prediction. If you go out for some airtime, be safe! It's a turbulent time of the year.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:29 am

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 6 through SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2019:
Hey, good news, everyone! Hurricane Dorian is going to miss us - by approximately 2000 miles. It's been a horrendous week for the Bahamas, I'm afraid, and the US East Coast. And now, let's look at the weather that matters to us, here in the desert Southwest. Our chances for precipitation are pretty low, until Sunday evening, and we may get some rain again early next week. Temperatures will be lower, at last - highs in the mid-90's F (low 30's C) - and the jetstream is still not a factor to us. On Friday winds will be light SSE over the area, and light SW in Alamogordo. Same for Saturday. Sunday looks pretty good for most of our sites, though, as it turns light to moderate SW, and WSW in Deming. On Friday and Saturday I think our best sites are Dry Canyon and La Luz, and possibly Torrey Paso for PG if it's not too southerly there. Towing on the Exit 116 road, west of Las Cruces, could be possible. On Sunday it looks like Dry Canyon, La Luz, Magdalena Rim, Little Floridas, and Nelson's Launch are all good bets. Just watch out for possible thunderstorms in the evening. At the Sod Farms I foresee good towing conditions all weekend, with fairly constant wind speeds and directions. I am up for some flying all through the weekend, if anyone has the urge to go out. Give me a call! Be safe, everyone, and have a good time, especially on Sunday. Autumn is almost here!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:03 am

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 13 through SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2019:
It seems that the (admittedly, weak) rainy season here is not quite over yet. We can expect some precipitation in our area this weekend, especially on Friday afternoon. Temperatures will be comfortable, at least, in the range of high 80's to low 90's F. No jetstream, as usual. The winds will be generally light, in the 5 to 10 mph range. Direction, though, is mostly from the east and southeast this weekend. We may get SSW in Alamogordo on Sunday, though. It looks to me that on Friday a flight at Anapra might be possible, before afternoon thunderstorms, and at Torrey Paso. Towing at the Exit 116 road west of Las Cruces looks good, but keep an eye out for afternoon thunderstorms. I don't see any good options for Saturday, except for the Exit 116 site. Sunday might be good at Dry Canyon, but be sure the road up is not too muddy for it. And again, Exit 116 towing will probably be good. It's not the best-looking weekend for flight in our area, but it's not out of the question, either. Be safe, and enjoy the rain when we get some.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:48 am

FRIDAY, SEPT. 20 through SUNDAY, SEPT. 22, 2019:
This looks like a pretty good flying weekend. It'll be a bit cooler, with high temperatures in the low 90's F (low 30's C) and rain should not be a problem to us. (Not that we ever say no to it, here in the desert!) Winds on Friday and Saturday should be in the 10 to 12 mph range from the west and southwest. On Sunday, in the 5-8 mph range from west to WNW. With that in mind, on Friday it looks like Dry Canyon, La Luz, Magdalena Rim, Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch and the Little Floridas should all be flyable. Same story for Saturday. On Sunday the NW component might not work for Dry Canyon and it may get too westerly for Mag Rim - otherwise, still good for the rest. Enjoy! We have a visiting pilot that Bill Cummings and I are mentoring, so we'll be out getting him (and maybe us) some airtime. Give me a call if you want to join us!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:43 am

FRIDAY, SEPT. 27 through SUNDAY, SEPT. 29, 2019:
Autumn is here at last, with autumn conditions. Cooler temperatures this weekend (highs around 85-90 F) and dry - though next week we could get some substantial moisture. A loop of the jetstream will be overhead this weekend, bringing southwest winds on the ground. On Friday we get winds from the west and southwest, topping out around 15 mph. Winds get a bit milder on Saturday, and more southerly, SSW about 10 to 12 mph. On Sunday, pretty much the same as Saturday. With that in mind, I'd recommend going out early on most of the weekend. Friday, Dry Canyon, La Luz, Little Floridas, Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch and Kilbourne Hole should all be flyable. On Saturday, add Magdalena Rim to that list, and the same for Sunday. The Mesquite Dam training site should also be fine this weekend, as well as towing at the Sod Farms - nice, steady winds this time, if they're not too strong. Enjoy the weekend, folks, and remember that we'll be holding our Columbus Day Gathering in Alamogordo in just two weeks. Hope to see you all then and there. Fly safe!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:31 pm

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4 through SUNDAY, OCTOBER 6, 2019:
An interesting weekend for weather, this one. But it should be a flyable one. The temperatures (highs of 80 F) will be pretty pleasant. And the desert should be green, because Friday is supposed to get soaked. Maybe Saturday morning, too, though that looks a lot less likely. The jetstream will be overhead for a while on Friday, then the loop of it moves eastward, leaving calmer winds in its wake. Friday, expect winds of 5 to 8 mph on the ground, from the south. Dry Canyon might be flyable (though I expect it to be washed out) and possibly Magdalena Rim. On Saturday I expect drier conditions, and winds about 5-8 mph around our area. The direction is variable, though. Northwest, probably, for most of our area, but possibly SW in Deming. I would look to La Luz and to the Little Floridas for possible launch sites on Saturday. Sunday it gets better. SSW around our region, fairly light. Dry Canyon, La Luz, maybe Nelson's Launch (might be too south) and maybe Magdalena Rim. It might be too southerly for the Little Floridas. A good day for towing at the Sod Farms. So, if you want to fly this weekend, there ought to be SOMEPLACE you can go! Be careful, especially with wet roads (the road to Mag Rim can be full of lakes after heavy rains) and shifty winds. Let me know how it comes out! And, the long range forecast for next weekend in Alamogordo does not look bad - dry, with light to moderate southwest winds. We could have a fine Columbus Day Fun Fly. Looks like a beautiful autumn this year!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:03 pm

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 11 through MONDAY, OCTOBER 14 (COLUMBUS DAY):
This looks like an exemplary weekend to be out flying! I'd like to see everyone in Alamogordo, at our Columbus Day Fun Fly, but it should be flyable all around the area from Friday through Monday. The skies should be clear this weekend, and the temperatures fairly pleasant - highs in the mid-60's F for Friday and Saturday, then 70's on Sunday and Monday. Winds should be fairly light, in the 5 to 10 mph range on the ground, though pretty strong in Deming on Friday. Directions will work for us, I think. In Alamogordo, southwest all weekend - ideal for Dry Canyon and La Luz. In El Paso, Deming and Las Cruces, east winds on Friday (about 10 to 15 in El Paso). I'd recommend flying Anapra, or possibly Torrey Paso, if you can't make it out to Alamogordo. On Saturday, ESE in Las Cruces, El Paso and Deming, so again your best bet in those areas will be Torrey Paso and Anapra. Sunday is a nice day all around the area. In Deming, WSW about 8-10 mph, making the Little Floridas soarable, WSW in El Paso so that Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch might work, and SW 5-8 in Las Cruces, making Magdalena Rim a site to consider. On Monday, more of the same, so all of those sites should be good once again. I hope you'll come to the Fun Fly in Alamogordo all weekend, but if not, enjoy the sites you do launch from. Be safe! This will be a weekend to savor.
-Robin
575-541-5744 home
575-386-8212 cell
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:42 pm

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 18 through SUNDAY, OCTOBER 20:
Last weekend, at our Columbus Day Fun Fly, the Saturday winds were too light for hang gliding in Alamogordo. This weekend, that may be the only day light enough to fly. A loop of the jetstream will be overhead on Friday and on Sunday - winds on those days will be around 20 mph on the ground, leading me to label those days "blowouts." Saturday, though, the winds will be southwest, and fairly light - in the 8 to 10 mph range. Weather will be dry, and temperatures pleasant, with high's in the upper 70's F. (About 25 C.) My recommendations are to hide out from the winds on Friday and Sunday. On Saturday it looks like La Luz, Dry Canyon (if you can brave the road), Magdalena Rim, Little Floridas, Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch are all viable foot-launch sites. If Hadley is doing any scooter towing at the Sod Farms, that should be a good bet, too. Let me know if you'd like to try some flying this Saturday! I am available for it, when my truck gets back from the shop. (See my comments on the Dry Canyon road, above...) Be safe if you go!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association