RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Weekend Weather

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Weekend Weather

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:24 am

FRIDAY, SEPT. 22 through SUNDAY, SEPT. 24:
Looks like an interesting weekend for soaring in our area, as the Autumnal Equinox brings summer to a close. A loop in the jetstream will bring fairly strong winds to Southern New Mexico and West Texas. A slight chance of rainfall this weekend, too. The wind direction is going to be consistent - south/southwest throughout the weekend. Strength will be 5 to 10 mph in the mornings, building to 15 mph or more on the ground by noon, each day of the weekend. I would recommend the lower sites for PG's, such as Agave Hill or Kilbourne Hole, or possibly Matt's Mountain - but be there early. Hang gliders can be there a little later, but be wary of a blowout. La Luz and Dry Canyon can be added to the possible sites for hang gliding this weekend. The Little Floridas look like a blowout throughout, however. Towing at the Sod Farms should be OK in that the winds will be consistent in direction. The flying should be good this weekend, if conditions aren't too strong. Be safe!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:29 am

FRIDAY, SEPT. 28 through SUNDAY, OCTOBER 1:
This is a weekend in two parts. The first part, Friday and Saturday, looks wet for a lot of our area. The more south, the more wet. And, except for Alamogordo (which seems to make its own wind and weather) the winds will be mostly east and southeast. On Sunday, the skies should clear and the winds turn south and then southwest. Wind speeds should be light to moderate, through the weekend, but then get strong on Monday. It looks like good conditions for our southwest facing sites on Sunday; I'd expect good hang gliding and paragliding at La Luz, Dry Canyon, Magdalena Rim, Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch, Little Floridas, maybe even Kilbourne Hole. On Friday and Saturday Dry Canyon might work, but it's a poor bet because of rain; similarly, in El Paso and Las Cruces, the sites to try are Anapra, Torrey Paso, and (for towing) Exit 116. But odds are, you'll contend with moisture those days. Winds for scooter towing at the Sod Farms should be consistent, but look out for water on the ground there, and water from above. In summary, keep Sunday open for flying, is my recommendation, and the other days for football and household chores. Good luck, and be safe!

Long range forecast looks good for the Columbus Day Gathering in Alamogordo, next weekend. Sunny, warm, and southwest winds. Put it on your calendar!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:48 am

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 6 through MONDAY, OCTOBER 9:
For the Columbus Day weekend, Alamogordo looks like a fairly good place to be this time. It'll be dry all over our region, with high temperatures in the low 80's. In Las Cruces and Deming, the flying will
be pretty chancy. Winds will be strong from the west on Friday, Sunday and Monday; on Saturday, they'll be light north. I wouldn't bet on Matt's Mountain (Mag Rim) and if you go to the Little Floridas, launch real early in the day; Saturday won't work at all for those two sites. For El Paso, Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch might work on Friday, Sunday and Monday, but again, go early. It will likely blow out
later in the day. No chance for them on Saturday. Towing at the Sod Farm might be OK all weekend, depending on wind strength - but at least the direction should be consistent each day. Maybe Kilbourne Hole, being at ground level, will be soarable on Friday, Sunday and Monday. Alamogordo, now, looks to be the good place for the weekend, with our annual Columbus Day Gathering scheduled. Winds on Friday, Sunday and Monday will be moderate southwest, turning to moderate west/northwest on Monday afternoon. Saturday starts out light northwest, then turns to light west/northwest by late afternoon. So La Luz NW launch might be a good place for a first flight, and Dry Canyon later in the day. I plan to be in Alamogordo from Friday afternoon through Monday, ready to fly and to help others do the same. See you there, I hope!
-Robin
575-541-5744 home
575-386-8212 cell
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 13 through SUNDAY, OCTOBER 15:
It looks like another flyable weekend for us here in RGSA country. There's a small chance of precipitation on Saturday, but mostly we will be dry and warm - high temperature around 90 degrees F. I expect southwest winds on Friday and Saturday. Things get odd on Sunday, though, with east winds most places, but southwest winds later in the afternoon in Alamogordo (where the Sacramentos will block the lighter east winds to some extent). On Friday I'd expect most of our sites to work: Dry Canyon, La Luz, Little Floridas, Magdalena Rim (if it's not too westerly) Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch. On Saturday, probably the same, though it may get stronger that day. On Sunday, with east winds, you might think of Torrey Paso and Anapra, in the El Paso area, and Dry Canyon later in the afternoon. Towing on Highway 9 might be pretty good, too. Training at the Sod Farms should be possible throughout the weekend, with fairly consistent wind direction throughout each day.

I have an email from Rick Maddy, a Hang 4 pilot up in Denver, that he and a couple of friends would like to come down and fly with us this weekend, maybe Friday through Tuesday, in Alamogordo. We'll see what their schedule is when they get into town. Be safe when you fly!
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:39 am

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 20 through SUNDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2017:
The weekend begins with a bit of dampness - we're supposed to get some rain on Thursday. All gone by Friday, though, and clear for the next week. Temperatures over the weekend should be pretty pleasant - highs around 80 on Friday, then 75 Saturday and 70 on Sunday. Winds on Friday will be strong southwest to west, about 15 or more on the ground. On Saturday, still strong, as the loop in the jetstream passes overhead going east. We can expect west winds that day, 15+ mph on the ground. On Sunday, though, it's a change - we get light winds from the north, northeast, and finally east later in the day. (In Alamogordo, light west all day.) My recommendations for Friday are to go early if you're going to fly. Little Floridas, Mag Rim, Dry Canyon, La Luz, Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch, even Kilbourne Hole, all should work, but watch out for it being blown out. On Saturday I would scratch Mag Rim off the list, and at Dry Canyon it will be unflyable later in the day when winds turn northwest (La Luz NW launch should work in that case). But again, watch out for the blowout. On Sunday, it looks like Volcanic Peak, west of Las Cruces, should be a good site early on, with decent north/northeast winds. Both HG and PG can handle it, I think. Dry Canyon should work, too. In El Paso the towing at the Sod Farms should be good, and possibly Anapra. It might be light for Torrey Paso, but at least the direction should be OK. It'll be an interesting weekend for us - be careful on Friday and Saturday, if you go! I am planning on being at the Volcanic Peak launch early on Sunday; call me if you want directions to the place. Let me know how it all works out!
-Robin
575-541-5744 home
575-386-8212 cell
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:04 am

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 27 through SUNDAY, OCTOBER 29:
With Halloween almost upon us, we are getting some autumn weather. It'll be dry this weekend (though a small chance of rain early next week) and surprisingly cool on Friday and Saturday - temperatures in the 50's to 60's Fahrenheit. Today (Thursday) will be windy, as a loop in the jetstream goes by to the east. After that, winds will be fairly light throughout the weekend. They should be light to moderate southeast for most of our area on Friday and Saturday - the exception is Alamogordo, where they will be light southwest. On Sunday, light southwest everywhere, though a little stronger near Las Cruces. So, for flying sites, here's what I see. Dry Canyon and La Luz should be flyable all weekend, though the winds will be light. In El Paso, Torrey Paso and Anapra might work for PG's on Friday and Saturday, with light southeast winds. On Sunday Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch might be launchable, but maybe not ridge soarable - again, for PG's. Too light for a hang glider to stay up. Towing up at the Sod Farms should be fine all weekend. On Friday and Saturday, near Las Cruces, the Exit 116 road might work for towing, with light to moderate southeast winds. On Sunday afternoon, Magdalena Rim is possible, with winds forecast to be about 9 or 10 mph out of the southwest. In Deming the Little Floridas will be unflyable on Friday and Saturday (southeast winds, after all) but launchable on Sunday, when the winds are light southwest. I don't know that they'll be strong enough for soaring the site. In summary, I'd say that Dry Canyon is your best bet for foot launched soaring this weekend, and Mag Rim on Sunday afternoon. I'll be busy on Saturday, but I'd sure like to fly on Sunday afternoon (Mag Rim, anyone?)

Don't forget the BLM meeting on Friday evening, in Anthony!
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:54 pm

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 3 through SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 5:
It looks dry and windy for this weekend, but not unflyable. High temperatures should be in the 70's. Winds will be from the west and southwest all weekend, as a loop in the jetstream passes overhead (sound familiar?) Friday might be a blowout, though Dry Canyon and La Luz are possible if you fly early. Saturday actually looks pretty good for most of our sites: Dry Canyon, La Luz, Magdalena Rim, Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch, Little Floridas, all should work - but be there early. We're likely to have a blowout after noon. Sunday, about the same - though Dry Canyon and La Luz might not blow out until a little later. Anyone for some soaring on Saturday? Give me a call.
-Robin
575-541-5744 home
575-386-8212 cell
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:48 am

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 10th through SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 12th:
This is a flyable weekend. Dry, warm (highs about 70 to 75 degrees F) and with winds pretty light. On Friday we'll see light winds from the south and southwest across the area. On Saturday, winds a bit more westerly, and maybe slightly stronger. On Sunday, winds will be easterly, and light, except for Alamogordo where we'll see light southwest. With all of this in mind, I'd say that on Friday you can fly almost any of our sites: Dry Canyon and La Luz, Nelson's Launch and Agave Hill (if it's strong enough), Magdalena Rim, and the Little Floridas. On Saturday, with winds just a bit stronger, the Little Floridas might get blown out, but everything else should work. On Sunday, look to Anapra and possibly Torrey Paso, with the east winds, and Dry Canyon in Alamogordo - it's probably too light to make La Luz a good bet. The Sod Farms, for towing, should be fine all weekend - though the winds will be pretty light on Sunday. Towing on Highway 9 might be good that day. Take advantage of the nice weather, and have some fun! And to all of our flying veterans and current Armed Services members - we REALLY appreciate all that you have done for us all, on this Veterans Day weekend.
-Robin
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:14 pm

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 17 through SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 19:
This weekend is a little crazy, but flyable. It'll be dry, and hot (highs of 80 degrees F) until Sunday, when the high temperature plunges to 60 F. Winds on Friday look like a blowout from the southwest; if you get to fly before it gets too strong, then Dry Canyon, La Luz, Mag Rim, Agave Hill, Nelson's Launch and the Little Floridas all should work. Maybe even Kilbourne Hole. On Saturday the winds will change quite a bit, and come from the north. In Alamogordo, La Luz might be a good bet; again, go early, in case they get too strong. This looks like a perfect day for Volcanic Peak near Las Cruces, too. Go fairly early, as the winds will die out towards evening. On Sunday the winds should be light, east/southeast in El Paso and Las Cruces, light southwest in Alamogordo. On that day, Dry Canyon might be a good bet for paragliders, and probably light soaring for hang gliders. La Luz might work as well. In El Paso, look at Anapra and Torrey Paso for your PG's. In Las Cruces, towing at Exit 116 might be OK. I don't see any problems with towing at the Sod Farms throughout the weekend, or maybe out on Highway 9 on Sunday. Dress warm on Sunday! I don't know yet if I will be available to fly on Saturday, or even Sunday, but let me know if you want to go. I know that Sebastian Nicolas, our new PG pilot in Alamogordo, would like to get a flight in this weekend. His email is nicolascobra@yahoo.fr if you want to reach him and see about his availability. Good luck if you go! And keep me posted.
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:26 am

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 24 through SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 26:
OK, here's the deal, on this Thanksgiving weekend. First, no rain. Second, no cooling - high temps in the high 70's Fahrenheit. Third, winds are generally light. For Alamogordo, light west and southwest all weekend. For Deming, fairly strong west on Friday, light east and southeast on Saturday and Sunday. For El Paso, moderate west on Friday, light east and southeast on Saturday, light southwest on Sunday. For Las Cruces it's moderate west/southwest on Friday, light south/southeast on Saturday, light south/southwest on Sunday. Site recommendations: I'd go with Dry Canyon and La Luz this weekend, and maybe the Little Floridas on Friday. Magdalena Rim is also possible on Friday, especially for PG's. Also on Friday, Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch could work for PG's. Sunday it might be light for soaring those sites, and as for Saturday, you might try Torrey Paso if the winds have any speed to them. It's not looking like epic flying, but you should be able to get some airtime if you want to try it. In all ways, though, the weekend should be lovely outdoors. Enjoy the autumn colors, and a happy Thanksgiving Day to everyone! I'm sure grateful to be living and flying out here.
-Robin
575-541-5744
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association