RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Weekend Weather

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Weekend Weather

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:24 pm

FRIDAY, MARCH 20 through SUNDAY, MARCH 22:
Well, the weather gods are treating us pretty nice this week. Today (Wednesday) we received an excellent rain in the area - and you know we're not going to say no to that! But tomorrow will be dry, and windy, and by Friday we get a very fine weekend. On that day winds will be mostly south to southwest, 8-10 mph most places (SE in El Paso, though). Saturday, SW 8-10 again. Sunday, SW in Las Cruces, WSW elsewhere. Take your pick, folks! On Friday Dry Canyon, La Luz and Magdalena Rim should work. On Saturday, the same, plus Little Floridas, Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch. On Sunday, the same. By Monday we will see the start of a windy week, but Mag Rim, La Luz, Dry and the El Paso sites still should work if you go out early. Let me know what you'd like to do - I hope to be flying through most of the weekend. We have guests, Jim and Marzena Gibson of Michigan, in town for a week, so I hope to show them the sites (and sights). Come and join us if you can!
-Robin
575-541-5744 home
575-386-8212 cell
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Weekend Weather

Postby RobinHastings » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:38 am

FRIDAY, MARCH 27 through SUNDAY, MARCH 29, 2020:
This should be a fairly nice flying weekend, minus Friday. Temperatures will get cooler suddenly as the jetstream comes over on Friday, with strong winds from the southwest that day. No flying that day. On Saturday the winds are much calmer. As usual, there will be more west and northwest winds that day, following a wind event. Sunday we get moderate southwest winds, and temperatures warming up from the 60's to the low 70's. My recommendations (assuming you can leave your house to fly): On Friday, don't bother. A good day to be sheltering in place. On Saturday, La Luz should work well, and maybe Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch. The best site, though, seems to be the Little Floridas, with winds WSW, 10-12 mph. (And don't forget the poppies!) On Sunday Dry Canyon, La Luz, Magdalena Rim, Little Floridas, Agave Hill and Nelson's Launch all look good - but go a little earlier, winds will be a bit stronger than Saturday. In this strange time in our history, stay healthy, folks! But if you get out to fly, I think you'll find a lift to your spirits as well as your glider. Fly safe!
-Robin
575-541-5744 home
575-386-8212 cell
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association