RGSA Web Site: http://rgsa.info  

Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Rio Grande Soaring Association Forum

Re: Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:50 pm

RGSA/Hawks,
Monday is four days away as I type this but conditions look good for Volcanic Peak. (West southwest of Las Cruces, New Mexico (USA).
If forecast holds (Fat Chance) winter clothes will be required.
Robin and I are going to follow the forecast for the next four day and run out there if it's NNE.
Robin in the LZ @ Volcanic Peak.JPG
Robin in the LZ @ Volcanic Peak.JPG (48.68 KiB) Viewed 422 times
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2712
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Postby RobinHastings » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:03 pm

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2018:
Well, yes. Airtime was obtained today. Briefly. Bill and I arrived at the Volcanic Peak launch about 10:30, listening to the northeast wind singing through the tower. It sure looked soarable to me! Temperature was 40 degrees or so, though skies were gradually getting cloudier, and I started setting up the U2-160. By the time I was ready, however, the wind had become cyclical, from 5 mph (or less) up to 15 mph. About noon I launched in 15. and by the time I reached the end of the ridge it had dropped to almost nothing. I made one turn, headed back towards launch, and by the time I got halfway back I was below the road. I turned out to the landing zone, and I didn't quite reach the flag, though my landing was decent. So, it was a flight, but it wasn't the flight the forecasts had led us to hope for. By the time Bill and I reached home, the winds had shifted from the morning's north and northeast to southeast, and early cloudless skies had turned to snow flurries. What a day! But there's truth in the comment, "A bad day flying still beats a good day working." We were glad to be out there again.
-Robin
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:03 pm

RobinHastings wrote:MONDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2018:
Well, yes. Airtime was obtained today. Briefly. Bill and I arrived at the Volcanic Peak launch about 10:30, listening to the northeast wind singing through the tower. It sure looked soarable to me! Temperature was 40 degrees or so, though skies were gradually getting cloudier, and I started setting up the U2-160. By the time I was ready, however, the wind had become cyclical, from 5 mph (or less) up to 15 mph. About noon I launched in 15. and by the time I reached the end of the ridge it had dropped to almost nothing. I made one turn, headed back towards launch, and by the time I got halfway back I was below the road. I turned out to the landing zone, and I didn't quite reach the flag, though my landing was decent. So, it was a flight, but it wasn't the flight the forecasts had led us to hope for. By the time Bill and I reached home, the winds had shifted from the morning's north and northeast to southeast, and early cloudless skies had turned to snow flurries. What a day! But there's truth in the comment, "A bad day flying still beats a good day working." We were glad to be out there again.
-Robin

https://youtu.be/6aMfj8kSFN0
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2712
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks as always, Bill, for the instructive video. It's kind of significant that the flag, in the last frames, is doing nothing. If the lift isn't there, it's really tough to soar!
-Robin
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:29 pm

RobinHastings wrote:Thanks as always, Bill, for the instructive video. It's kind of significant that the flag, in the last frames, is doing nothing. If the lift isn't there, it's really tough to soar!
-Robin

My flying friend, Don Ray, use to say to me: "It's tough to soar with eagles when your working with turkeys." (Never could figure out what he meant.)
ANYWAY Robin is coming by tomorrow to pick me up at 9:00 am. I'll drive for him and try to get some video of his flight.
Robin on a 200º heading from the truck toward the LZ, in line with the tower..JPG
Robin on a 200º heading from the truck toward the LZ, in line with the tower..JPG (55.1 KiB) Viewed 81 times
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2712
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Bill Cummings wrote:ANYWAY Robin is coming by tomorrow to pick me up at 9:00 am. I'll drive for him and try to get some video of his flight.

Say "Howdy" to Robin for me. I hope he gets a good safe flight :wave:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
"History is never recorded by truth never told." - Warren ("Free")
User avatar
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 5415
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:38 pm

Forgot to say hi to Robin for you Bob. I was bringing him up to date on the USHPA proposal that is to be voted on.
I told him that most of the information that I found at the oz report were leaning toward a No vote but that reports from the PG website were leaning toward a Yes vote. Of course some of the Nay Sayers, like myself, are non USHPA members that actually aren't eligible to vote. However several RD's have expressed that a No vote is the way to go. One thing I forgot to say is that since it was a binary vote that would reduce the RD's and the number of regions or keep things as they are that my advice should in no way be considered a vote in favor of the way things are. Things are bad as they are but I see the proposal as being worse.

ANYWAY The flags in the Rio Grande Valley were showing north wind at about 10 mph and as we planted the American flag in the LZ it was trailing toward the south but only because it was caught on a bush. (No wind in the LZ.)

At the top we saw a sign warning that 8 rattle snakes had be seen at one time in back of launch. This did chill our efforts to check for thermaling hawks skyward. Looking skyward while walking issued forth an abundance of trepidation.
Caution. Don't look up!.JPG
Caution. Don't look up!.JPG (68.11 KiB) Viewed 65 times

I'll let Robin fill you in since it was his turn to fly.
User avatar
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 2712
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Las Cruces NM 88005 (Region 4)

Re: Volcanic Peak, 376' agl, Face 025º, 0.2mi Long

Postby RobinHastings » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:58 pm

The January 7th expedition to Volcanic Peak was fun, pleasant, and productive, in that we inspected my U2-160 pretty well before I stepped to launch. When we arrived the winds were right up the ramp at 10-15 mph. That is quite suitable for launching and maybe soaring this site. By the time I was ready the winds were - well, actually, there weren't any. Stray puffs, every now and then. We had a good time telling stories to each other as I waited in my harness, and at one point I got hooked in again, as we saw 5 mph bubbling up the hill - but, alas, it was not to be. We finally packed up the glider, drove down the hill, and picked up some good sized rocks with which to maintain our roadside dams. (Build a little dam on the downhill side of a road, in the arroyo, and eventually the rains will silt it up and smooth it out. If there's rain, that is...) We got home by 4:00 pm. No airtime today - but the temperatures were nice, the scenery was great, and even the roads weren't bad. As they say in Bill's native Minnesota, "Could be worse!"
-Robin
User avatar
RobinHastings
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Previous

Return to Rio Grande Soaring Association

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests