Personal Journals about Hang Gliding

Re: Eating it on hang gliders

Postby magentabluesky » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Isn't this all the instruction one needs?

Truman's short, very useful skydiving course from the 85' movie Fandango
magentabluesky
Michael Grisham
magentabluesky
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:02 pm

I did not consider the masses of people now flying paragliders to be daredevils as you stated.

They're daredevils all right.
They are just destined to realize it later than we do.
I've said for years that the soaring parachute is the province of stunt men.
It's a drug, Frank. One you can't kick.
Described as the most powerful drug cocktail obtainable.
http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1869106,00.html

Risk Addiction in Thrill Sports: The particular neurochemicals produced by action sports are far more potent than any single drug around and—since one cannot cocktail massive amounts of speed, cocaine, and heroin without ending up dead — adrenaline sports are really the only way to get this kind of taste.
-- Psychology Today, March 2008

Totally natural.
I've tasted it in hang gliding. But paragliding takes it way beyond that.
This is why hang glider pilots go to paragliding.
Collapse and open!
Collapse and deploy!
What a rush!
After a while, the ones still alive think it's normal, as Red notes.
1,700 dead.
No fear? How is it possible?
This isn't hang gliding. It's parachuting. A totally different sport.
And no one is coming to hang gliding from it.
And the main driver isn't even sport.
They are all gone in the head.
Nothing can save them.
Run by them, there is no hope ever again for USHPA hang gliding.
I am absolutely confident that the paragliding fatality list will continue to grow, unabated.
Contributor
Contributor

Postby magentabluesky » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:46 pm

"It's all for the good of the Syndicate, Yossarian..!"

magentabluesky
Michael Grisham
magentabluesky
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:51 am

Back to the daredevil vs non- daredevil in paragliding.

Rick you say that they are all daredevils and I say that some are but most are not.

Most people flying paragliders are people just like me who saw it being done and wanted to experience the human dream of flying. In my case I had already done some years of hang gliding but thought paragliding looked like another simple form of flight, slower and less cumbersome than hang gliding. So I signed up for a 2 day PG school that was highly recommended.

Most PG flyers wanted to fly the very human "dream" and were given one choice by the people they asked - paragliders. The inherent dangers in the design were either not mentioned at all or were down played. The latter is what my instructor did and she later died alone, on a mountainside above Santa Barbara.

Most PG flyers were not adrenaline junkies looking for new thrills when they were given the one choice, paragliders, in their inquiry, as a way to fly the dream. My least favorite HG flights were the ones where something happened to cause an adrenaline rush and I sought to learn how to avoid that in the future.

In my case, due to my knowledge of aircraft and flying, I realized on the first day of instruction what was wrong with this concept of human flight and I didn't stay for the second day of lessons. A lot of the people who start flying paragliders do not have this knowledge advantage when they learn to fly this very easy to fly device. I am convinced that more of the PG pilots will turn to HG as knowledge increases. Jim Fenison has started seeing this in the PNW.

One "eye opener" to me, on the PG training hill that day was when a PG pilot showed up later in the day, who the instructors all knew. They asked him where he had been and he said it looked like great conditions over the mountains so he went there and flew first. Those mountains had been showing very vigorous cumulus buildups all morning that I, a hang glider pilot, had been noticing. I didn't hear even one of the school instructors or any experienced PG pilot say to him that he shouldn't have been flying in those conditions.

We both agree that paragliding should be left to the daredevil "stuntmen" but we disagree that most PG flyers don't fall into that category. And there are a lot of PG pilots who choose to only fly the coastal breezes, to decrease (but not eliminate) the danger. But there are also a lot of others who aren't looking for adrenaline who fly inland sites and under thermal conditions who just don't know any better, because they don't understand the limitations of their flying device. Ask Bob Kuczewski about Horse Canyon back in his PG days.

I will agree that any PG pilot who has experienced multiple rescue parachute incidences and still flies a PG under similar conditions is an adrenaline junkie, thrill seeker, and will most likely die if his actions continue (law of averages).

I will keep saying it: USHPA has a responsibility to stop ignoring the "elephant in the room" and be honest with the public about the basic aerodynamic design limitations in soaring parachutes and how those limitations relate to safety under varying atmospheric conditions.

We definitely need a national organization dedicated to the very different hang glider design and the flying of those, as we know it today. A "one organization fits all free flight" just doesn't work well for the HG community.

See you & Sophie on the Owens next week, :thumbup:
Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:20 pm

you say that they are all daredevils and I say that some are but most are not.

Surely there comes a point where a soaring parachutist finally inderstands the inherent and unrectifiable danger of a paraglider in turbulence.
From that point onward, if he continues to fly paragliders, he is a daredevil.
Either that, or he is inconceivably stupid.
So maybe you're right.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:10 am

HUH?
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:55 am

Just making another point for our doomed paragliding friends.     :lol:
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:57 pm

And there's another mis-report of someone eating it on a hang glider. That would be Don Croft, who Rick has reported about in another thread. He liked to fly things, but not hang gliders - even though that is what has been reported as killing him at Steptoe Butte (near Spokane, WA?).

I'm sorry he died, but he was just a bit odd. I found this web article by him - < https://worldwithoutparasites.com/2018/ ... y-healthy/ >

A quote -

"I was surprised to discover that flying paragliders was causing me to become intimately familiar with the dynamics of our atmosphere, rather, and that feeds my spirit in a way that nothing else has done. I still fly powered aircraft, mainly to help in our desert-reversal efforts (dropping orgonite) and to reach and neutralize death towers and weather weaponry that are in restricted locations. Orgonite turns these millions of obtuse weapons into life force generators, more specifically, and the enemy are too stupid/arrogant to just turn them off after we’ve treated them." :crazy:
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:17 pm

I think a paraglider is an "obtuse weapon."
It sure has killed a lot of people.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics