Personal Journals about Hang Gliding

Deadly "air pockets" vs. even deadlier "vacuum pockets"

Postby Rick Masters » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:31 pm

One of the lurking terrors of free flight is the notorious "air pocket," according to police who have investigated paragliding accidents around the world for the past 30 years.
    Within an "air pocket" apparently exists much thinner air that cannot sustain the airfoil shape of the unsupported paragliding canopy, causing it to collapse.
    The paraglider then balls up and the unfortunate falling human falls, also balls up, out of the sky and dies.

But even worse is the ultimate terror of the "vacuum pocket."     :shock:
    Soaring parachutists entering this fearsome, invisible pocket suddenly find there is no air at all!
    Unable to breathe, they gasp uncontrollably and black out as their paraglider balls up and they fall, also balls up, out of the sky.

Hang glider pilots have occasionally described encounters with turbulence as "air pockets," but have then entered a dive and recovered, thanks to the hang glider's airframe which preserves the airfoil shape of the wing.

Other hang glider pilots have discounted the existence of air and vacuum pockets entirely, attributing the phenomena to descending segments of swirling air that have separated from rapidly rising thermals or have been torn away by turbulent eddies.

More: http://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2835&sid=38fc154d41f0cbab8106ba5765ce8e94&sid=38fc154d41f0cbab8106ba5765ce8e94#p21553
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Deadly "air pockets" vs. even deadlier "vacuum pockets"

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:02 am

Rick Masters wrote:Deadly "air pockets" vs. even deadlier "vacuum pockets"

I'm confused. I thought "vacuum pockets" was what U$HPA was doing to its members via the RRRG?    :|
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:49 am

At Dockweiler we get "sand pockets". Which sometimes gets transferred to the Mexican restaurant later in the evening.

This transfer could be called the "drifting sand pockets".

FC
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Bob Kuczewski wrote: I'm confused. I thought "vacuum pockets" was what U$HPA was doing to its members via the RRRG?    :|

:srofl: :srofl:

Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Forum Statistics