Personal Journals about Hang Gliding

Re: Look Ma, No USHPA!!

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Gray Hill

Gray Hill is 40 miles, by road, WSW of Socorro New Mexico and ten miles east of the Very Large Array, National Radio Astronomy Observatory, Radio Telescope(s).

Northeast to East is the only direction that poses any concerns for launching.

One would leave Interstate 25 at either Socorro exit 147 or 150 to access Hwy 60 and go west toward the town of Magdalena. Eleven miles WSW of Magdalena Hwy 60 bends to go WNW but just 0.7 of a mile beyond the bend in the road you will turn south southwest and already you will see the two towers on Gray Hill two miles to the south. (Of course pilots should fly a safe distance from the two towers. (Full bars on my Verizon cell phone.)

Gray Hill’s difficulty would range from P1 and higher and H1 and higher but is an unregulated site.

Next a quote from Joe F. that I find apropos.

“EVERY landowner is immune from liability when non-invitation and non-charging relationship maintains. Working confidently with the facts may well win much more "sites" for HG than the addictive push of a waiver that pretends to give the landowner something THEY ALREADY HAVE (but may not be aware of adequately). The waiver in the faces of landowners may now be working against the aims of the HG community. All USA states have seen the benefit to landowners and the citizens and have thus enacted statutes about free recreational use of properties. Note: Keep the "vehicle" status that FAA extends to hang gliding; FAA separates hang gliders from aircraft; do not establish airstrips or "airports" on properties; just run and jump into sky and land your recreational vehicle. EVER be a respectful user of property. Know the stark difference between charge-control-invite and the distinct simple arrival and use. U$hPa was born at a different time when the current immunity status was not in place; a new era may grow, if the HG community emphasizes the facts while being exemplary gracing users of properties.”  
(Last edited by JoeF on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:16 am, edited 3 times in total.)

It is my opinion also that as long as we only use Gray Hill for, no fee - no invitation - and only recreational solo flying there will never arise the need for any controlling interest, insurance or waiver.

I’m proud to say that when the last stragglers left on Tuesday no mark was left on the ground except for tire tracks on the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlnaa3GyUiM
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:18 pm

If you showed up at any of our sites with a "rating" issued by BobK's "organization", you'd be turned away unless you could show us a real rating from USHPA.

As a free man and citizen of the United States, I direct any pigheaded authoritarian monopolist intent on violating my rights to the following chapter and verse:

USUA analysis of FAA Part 103
http://www.usua.org/Rules/faa103.htm
PREAMBLE; Part 103-Ultralight Vehicles; Operating Requirements
The FAA has chosen not to promulgate Federal regulations regarding pilot certification, vehicle certification, and vehicle registration, preferring that the ultralight community assume the initiative for the development of these important safety programs. The ultralight community is expected to take positive action to develop these programs in a timely manner and gain FAA approval for their implementation.

Subpart A --General
Section 103.1 Applicability (proposed §101.1(a)(3)).
The USHGA's self-regulation program lacks the legal authority to enforce requirements to ensure the safety of others. There is no requirement for any hang glider operator to be a member of the USHGA.

Single Occupant
The rule limits both powered and unpowered ultralight vehicles to a single occupant. ...The basis for allowing ultralight vehicles to operate under special rules which do not require pilot and aircraft certification is the "sport" aspect of the operation. For example, the assumption can be made that a person who elects, without pilot qualifications, to operate an uncertificated vehicle alone is fully aware of the risks involved.
Period.
When US Hawks is formalized, a letter may be sent to the FAA simply informing them that the US Hawks, a national hang gliding organization largely comprised of former and some formative USHGA/USHPA members, is providing certification of skills for the hang gliding pilots in its membership.
That's it. No more is required.

Any party denying US Hawks members their right to recreation under Part 103 could become subject to a lawsuit they would quickly lose.

A much better strategy would be for each California USHPA chapter hang glider pilot, for instance, to at least obtain dual membership in the US Hawks (it costs nothing to join). This would be much better than the current situation where the USHPA hang glider pilot is covering paragliding (and joyriding) liability at perhaps an 8 to 1 ratio, which makes no sense. The USHPA chapter hang glider pilots could then vote to surrender 3PL and its costs and fly under their right of California 846. I doubt the paraglider pilots would vote for this, but they might. It applies to them, as well. Without USHPA 3PL, the USHPA loses much of its appeal. Too bad. But nothing prevents pilots from continuing to pay dues or reasonable use fees to a chapter, if they wish. Chapter dues under California 846 will be very reasonable without 3PL and can be applied to local activities.

Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:37 am

Good post Rick!!

USHPA's loss of insurance is a window of opportunity to make a change. I've been posting to the Sylmar forum and Crestline forum encouraging pilots to seize the moment to better structure our insurance (when needed). There has been some small positive response, a lot of negative response, but mostly silence. If anyone wants to join these discussions on any local club forums please do. I've been painted as "the enemy", and it would help to have other voices speaking out.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:05 pm

After much gnashing of teeth and tearing my hair out I finally reset my Youtube password and user ID. :wtf:
Here now is the first hang glider launched from Gray Hill WSW of Magdalena New Mexico (USA).
The hang glider pilot is RGSA club president Robin Hastings.
PG pilot Max M. was the first ever pilot to launch from this hill.
https://youtu.be/t20B0It5mrA
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:29 pm

Victorio Mountains New Mexico

Radio tower on Victorio Mts..JPG
Radio tower on Victorio Mts..JPG (31.57 KiB) Viewed 3995 times

Victorio Mountains, New Mexico. It is an unregulated site.
This site takes 355 degrees to 030 degrees wind direction.
Access is at Exit 62 from Interstate 10. (62 miles east of Arizona state line.)
The Victorio Mountain communications tower has a launch just to the west of the tower fence.
Launch is (L2 on the map below) 5,120’ msl, facing 030 degrees.
The Landing Zone (LZ) is on the dirt road leading up to the towers and the elevation of the LZ is 4,550’ msl. This would be 570’ agl.
The hill is on BLM land however one has to cross private land and go through two unlocked cattle gates. The road then goes through State Land before taking you onto BLM land half way up the hill’s west side.
Two wheel drive to both launches.
The first launch (L1 on the map) is at 5,000’ msl. (450’ agl higher than the LZ.)
L1 takes a north to north northeast wind direction.
The nearest city to the west on I-10 is Lordsburg, NM just over 40 miles.
The nearest city to the east on I-10 is Deming, NM just over 20 miles.
There is a gas station and small store at Exit 62. Fast food available.
Victorio Mts. BLM no USHPA impediments..JPG
Victorio Mts. BLM no USHPA impediments..JPG (68.1 KiB) Viewed 3995 times

LZ north of Mts..JPG
LZ north of Mts..JPG (41.69 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:32 pm

Adapting from "Crocodile Dundee" ...

Now that's an LZ!!!
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:06 pm

GRANDMOTHER MOUNTAIN
(RADIO TOWER HILL 215’ AGL.)

Cone shaped hill with a west face launch. Two wheel drive.
Pilots should have the ability of P1 or H1.
Unregulated site on NM State Land.
Launch 5,000’ MSL (West of the tower.)
LZ -----4,785’ MSL (West of hill.)
AGL ---- 215’ (Glide from top to Landing Zone.)
Eight miles by road to GM Mt. tower hill from Interstate 10 Exit 62 (Gage Exit.)
The county road from I-10 to launch is, C004
8 Miles by Rd. from I-10 Exit 62.JPG
8 Miles by Rd. from I-10 Exit 62.JPG (55.61 KiB) Viewed 3955 times

Gage NM Exit 62 I-10.JPG
Gage NM Exit 62 I-10.JPG (35.18 KiB) Viewed 3955 times

Grandmother Mt. radio tower..JPG
Grandmother Mt. radio tower..JPG (61.86 KiB) Viewed 3955 times

Traveling East on I-10 and because of the larger Grandmother Mountain West and next Grandmother Mountain East in the way they block your view of the lower tower hill.
Traveling West on I-10 before you get near Exit 62 you have a better view of tower hill as you look NW.
At the Exit 62 area the tower is hidden from view. On the way the road “Y’s” twice to the left but you want to stay right and hold a north direction.
Be sure and leave the ranch cattle gates the way you find them. The county road does cross private land in three places. Do not leave the road.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:07 pm

Horse Canyon
San Diego County, California

Screenshot-MPlayer-27_png.jpg
Photo from February 28th, 2016
Screenshot-MPlayer-27_png.jpg (48.16 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:31 pm

I once detoured to Horse Canyon, to watch the launches, when I was driving east on I-8 to El Centro. Good thing I drove up top to watch, because I was able to yell when the site guru, last to launch, started his run without being hooked in. He did still go over the edge but fell from only a couple of feet. Destroyed his vario - that was OK by me, it wasn't a Colver. ;)

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:16 am

fcolver wrote:Good thing I drove up top to watch, because I was able to yell when the site guru, last to launch, started his run without being hooked in. He did still go over the edge but fell from only a couple of feet.

Way to save a life Frank!!!      :thumbup:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics