Personal Journals about Hang Gliding

Re: Paragliding posing as hang gliding

Postby Rick Masters » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:53 am

Letter sent to Rochdale Online (UK):

re: Hang glider injured on Blackstone Edge
Date published: 29 March 2016
http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/102051/hang-glider-injured-on-blackstone-edge

Greetings,

I am engaged in global research regarding extreme sports. My job is complicated when reporters do not understand the difference between hang gliders and paragliders.
    Hang gliders are simple flying wing sailplanes controlled by shifting weight. They contain over 50 feet of aluminum tubing to maintain the shape of the airfoil. They fold down to about 16-feet by one foot are transported by car-top carriers to launch sites near roads or lifts. Britain shares a proud history of the early development of hang gliders dating back to the early 1970s.
    Paragliders, on the other hand, are parachutes designed to soar on air currents. They have no air frame to hold the aerodynamic shape of the wing. They use wing warping for control. They weigh less than 20 pounds. They are transported in a backpack, often to remote launch points.
    Hang glider pilots usually die because of pilot error: stalls, landing too fast, flying into power lines or other fixed objects.
    Paraglider pilots usually die when their fabric canopy suddenly collapses in turbulence near the ground.

Thank you for your consideration,

Rick Masters
Owens Valley, California, USA
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:52 am

Hang glider pilot dies of embarrassment
Rescue drama as paraglider ends up stuck in a tree
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15542868.Rescue_drama_as_paraglider_ends_up_stuck_in_a_tree/
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:48 am

A Pakistani paraglider showers rose petals onto Chinese People's Liberation Army soldiers on December 11, 2006. North Korea is training its soldiers in using paragliders in military drills.
http://www.newsweek.com/north-korea-tests-paragliders-military-drills-against-south-korea-us-combined-681663

You would think Newsweek would be able to write an article that knows the difference between a hang glider and a paraglider.
But, no...
Leaves one wondering what North Korea is up to.
Unfortunately, no egg was found.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:51 am

Hey Rick,

I just sent Newsweek a correction regarding their N Korean "paraglider" picture. Ends up that Paragliders are what N Korea is using - it's just the image that's incorrect. In the process of reading the article I found the web site for the South Korean paragliding company mentioned in the story [ https://www.gingliders.com/ ] - which had a manufacturing facility in N Korea.

In connection with recent negative events in that area the factory was shut down - but may have now been taken over by N Korea.

I wonder if N Korea knows the difference between hang gliders and paragliders? . . . :think: . . . :shh:
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:40 pm

I can't think of a bigger waste of manpower than putting soldiers on paragliders.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:08 pm

Well, I don't think N Korea really has to worry about wasting man power.

Heck, I'd bet N Korea could have some number of PPGs (over some period of time) power up, on a new moon night, to high altitude. Then shut off their power (maybe even eject the motor) then glide, literally, under the radar over the DMZ, into S Korea. Once there reek all kinds of havoc. Suicide missions? Maybe.

The N Koreans could probably engineer a quiet PPG battery powered electric power plant that couldn't even be heard coming or going. They wouldn't have to climb high with that kind of setup.

Getting back to the theme of this thread, . . . Of course they could confuse the S Koreans by saying they were going to send hang gliders.

Or would that only confuse Newsweek? :wtf:

:D
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:33 pm

I'd bet N Korea could have some number of PPGs (over some period of time) power up, on a new moon night, to high altitude.

"Turkey shoot tonight, men. You're not going to believe this..."
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:17 pm

:shock:

:srofl: :srofl: :srofl: :srofl:

:clap: . . . :clap: . . . :clap: . . . :clap: . . . :clap:
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Wed May 30, 2018 12:47 pm

May 28, 2018        "Hanglider?"

Hanglider sustains non-life-threatening injuries after crashing on Slide Mountain
RENO, Nev. (News 4 & Fox 11) — A hanglider suffered minor injuries after being rescued off Slide Mountain on Monday afternoon.
Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District Chief Charlie Moore says the glider sustained a shoulder injury after crashing shortly after 2 p.m. on May 28.
Crews with TMFPD, North Lake Tahoe Fire Department and the Washoe County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue Team assisted in hoisting the patient nearly 200 feet to the Slide Mountain trailhead.
The hanglider was transported to Renown for treatment.
The pilot was left to die. *

I made that last part up.     :P

VIDEO: http://cdnec-ause.uplynk.com/slices/a8b/34d28c6069b34f1d96307c80809697d7/a8bb8adb6e9d4ca28e4b2c0ab8cdc57f/a8bb8adb6e9d4ca28e4b2c0ab8cdc57f_g.mp4
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:26 pm

There seems to be no pictures in this case. So, I'm wondering if this was actually a hang glider pilot who crashed or a paraglider pilot.

PS - A friend of mine and I visited Slide Mountain back in ~ 1989 and the video seems to be the same place. When we were there the wind was blowing down so we didn't fly. :(
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics