Semi-private forum for members contributing to the US Hawks Hang Gliding Training Manual
Forum rules
This forum is for contributing to a US Hawks Hang Gliding Training Manual. Posts in this forum may be moved around as the manual takes shape over time. Please feel free to comment on the organization (or reorganization) of the posts as needed.

Re: Theory of mind

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Rick Masters wrote:I saw it coming when BobK started attacking our members because they wouldn't post on a doppelganger forum.

That statement is incorrect. I didn't criticise those (like yourself and Bill Cummings) who wouldn't post on hanggliding.org. I criticised those who did regularly post on hanggliding.org but failed to stand up against the injustice they witnessed done to Joe Faust on that forum.

Frank Colver, Michael Grisham, and Tom Howard were all happily posting about their own interests during the period that Joe Faust was being banned. I know they all knew of the situation because I personally contacted each of them. Some of them did post in opposition to Joe's banning, but they backed down when Jack threatened them. Then they (particularly Frank Colver and Tom Howard) continued to post in their own interests while ignoring the injustice being done to Joe. I personally find this shameful and I've stated that. I plan to continue stating that.

To be clear, I find it entirely consistent and honorable for people to simply walk away from such abusive situations. By walking away, you do not feed the abuser. I also find it entirely consistent and honorable for people to continue to speak out against this injustice. That may lead to their own banning, but that is also a very powerful form of speech because others will recognize the growing pattern of injustice and many of them will choose their own consistent and honorable paths. Again, this does not feed the abuser.

What I find to be inconsistent and dishonorable (shameful) is for people to continue feeding the abuser in their own self interest while ignoring what has been done to Joe Faust.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Free » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:09 pm

Rick Masters wrote: This isn't true.
I didn't write that.

I apologize Rick. It was a troll response to your troll post.
Should not have posted that with your name in the quote header.
Shame on me.

This is exactly what happened on Paragliding Forum.
The worthless moderators let false quotes stand by uniting in tribal behavior because they did not share my opinion.

Well that is not exactly what happened here. This was more a careless slip in posting etiquette because I was only putting an effort similar to
yours in that troll post. Sorry for that and I apologize to anyone that might be confused to what this is all about.

I saw it coming when BobK started attacking our members because they wouldn't post on a doppelganger forum.

Now I'm confused because I don't think Bob attacked anyone for not posting on a doppelganger forum.

The US Hawks has been destroyed - and for no good reason.
I had better hopes for it.
Goodbye.

There's no good reason for you to go.
Stay and let history show that you chose the right side in a battle against lies and injustice.
It's more of a big picture thing than you are currently seeing.
Free
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Free wrote:
Rick Masters wrote: This isn't true.
I didn't write that.

I apologize Rick. It was a troll response to your troll post.
Should not have posted that with your name in the quote header.
Shame on me.

Thanks Warren. I've added a moderator's note to your earlier post with your quote above. Please let me know if you have any objections to my wording in that moderator's note. Rick, please also let me know if you have any objections or suggestions for improved clarity.

Free wrote:
Rick Masters wrote:The US Hawks has been destroyed - and for no good reason.
I had better hopes for it.
Goodbye.

There's no good reason for you to go.
Stay and let history show that you chose the right side in a battle against lies and injustice.

I agree with Warren here as well. I believe this is the proper path for everyone including Frank, Michael, and Tom. That's the course that I would urge each of them to take. I will happily document their actions if they take that route and I will sadly document their actions if they don't.
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Has the topic been sidelined? Not sure.
But the following raven realm is the realm that first sparked hang glider pilot Michael Grisham about Theory of Mind.

https://tinyurl.com/RavenTheoryOfMind
Explore Theory of Mind in the raven realm ...

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Free » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:43 pm

JoeF wrote:Has the topic been sidelined? Not sure.
But the following raven realm is the realm that first sparked hang glider pilot Michael Grisham about Theory of Mind.

https://tinyurl.com/RavenTheoryOfMind
Theory of Mind in the raven realm ...

Starting with reference to
Please be sure you know what you don't know, before you start . . .

threw me off because that quote was prominent when politics of censorship went south and drove a wedge of division here. Troll?

Then this,
This is good information to know when teaching students and interacting with other hang glider pilots. An understanding that the student or other pilot may not know what you know.

is more a subject of FOI https://www.cfinotebook.net/lesson-plan ... nstructing
of which I did respond. To be A CFI you have to pass a FOI test by the FAA.

Fundamentals of Instructing
Introduction:

Fundamentals of instructing are generally not unique to aviation
These principles apply to growing up, ground through school, and learning any new hobby/job
The study of applied educational psychology underlies the information and theories of learning, and therefore the methods of instruction

Human Behavior:

To successfully bring about learning, the instructor must know why people act the way they do, how people learn, and then use this understanding to teach
To be an effective instructor, knowledge of human behavior, basic human needs, the defense mechanisms humans use that prevent learning, as well as how adults learn is essential for organizing student activities and promoting a productive learning experience for students

Learning Process:

The effective instructor understands the subject being taught, the student, the learning process, and the interrelationships that exist
An effective instructor also realizes learning is a complex procedure and assists each student in reaching the learning outcomes while helping the student build self-esteem and confidence [Figure 2-1]
Through memory, students are able to recall information
Once information is learned its important for the instructor to set the conditions for the Retention and Transfer of Learning
Scenario-based training helps students relate what they've learned

Effective Communication:

Effective Communication is simply asking the question, has message sent translated to message received
There are various cues and questions you can ask in order to determine if understanding has occurred

The Teaching Process:

By using a combination of teaching methods (lecture, group learning, and discussion) and instructional aids (audio/visual and handouts), students can acheive the instructional objective
It is through the teaching process that knowledge can be turned into practical knowledge
Instructors must therefore understand the concepts and principles pertinent to human behavior, how people learn, and effective communication in order to apply them in the classroom.

Michael might have skipped the CFI business and therefore the FOI, on his path to big fast jets.
I did the FOI on the way to an obsolete ultralight teaching path, and then mostly forgot.
It is a layer in instruction that hang gliding doesn't teach its instructors, as far as I know.
I never taught hang gliding but I did once have a problem with a budding student in what THEY thought they knew.
The truth be known, the student doesn't know what he doesn't know.
What he thinks he knows can kill him twice as quick as what he doesn't, if he gets too cocky.
It's not even H3 syndrome when they are Hang 1.
Theory of mind is the study of bird brains.
There it is. I get it now.
Thanks.
Free
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:13 pm

For the record, I called Michael today to be sure he was aware of Joe's posted request:

JoeF wrote:I now broadly request that every poster around the world in the sg space post an ultimatum to sg:
" Sg, unban Scott and Bob and Joe and probably some others, alter your policies severely or else such is the last posting of this poster."

He was aware of it.

Michael was very generous with his time (3 hours), but there was no progress otherwise.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Previous
Forum Statistics