Postby Free » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:15 pm

Almost comes to blows at around 7:00

Free
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Frank Zappa: 1986 Media Censorship Argument

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi Warren,

That was a pretty good interview. Thanks for posting it. Since the topic has been raised, I'll offer my thoughts. I welcome other opinions...

I spent some time in the US Army, and we cussed like sailors. So I'm not personally offended by very many words. But some people are offended by certain words, and they're probably right to be offended by them. After all, isn't the very purpose of cuss words to be offensive? A person could say "Oh feces!", but somehow that doesn't say what they're really trying to say. The "s" word is not being used (in most cases) to convey the meaning of excrement. It's being used to be offensive. So if someone is using a word to be offensive, then why are they surprised when people are offended?

So I see profanity as a way of ratcheting up an argument. Most civil arguments are analogous to two guys "stepping outside" to settle things with their fists. They're going to "duke it out" with each other. In that analogy, profanity is like one of those guys pulling a knife.

So for lots of reasons (including the image of our sport), I'd really like to keep the profanity off of this forum. I'm not going to get too upset every if someone drops a word every once in a while. But when profanity becomes a common theme with someone, that's when I think it needs to be addressed.

Of course, this is open to debate, and I welcome everyone's comments on the topic. By the way, I originally had the forum set up to automatically "asterisk out" certain words, but for some reason that hasn't been working. I may have to check on it again.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Free » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi Bob,
I posted that as a related item of interest I happened to run across and not as an endorsement of unbridled profanity. IMO, its misguided thinking to use profanity for the sake of profanity and then defend that action as a free speech issue.

Tad could make his points just as well without all the cussing.

Free
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Free wrote:Tad could make his points just as well without all the cussing.

And he might even make them better!!    :thumbup:
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby TadEareckson » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Davis, Rooney, the Flight Park Mafia, and a few of the Davis Show zombies have set themselves up royally. They've made SO MANY totally lunatic contradictory statements and outright lies that it's blindingly obvious to anyone who isn't three quarters brain dead that they're totally disintegrating.

Ridgerodent and Zack are tearing them the SHREDS.

Rob Clarkson - 2011/09/04

130 lb greenspot is what most flight parks are using...for every one. So we are talking about a breaking strength of 260lbs...for every one. I'd say that's about 1 -1.5 g for most pilots. Sounds like everyone is in agreement. You can't get week link in 5lb increaments so everyone is at 1.5g.

Dude go learn to fly a hang glider...it's much more interesting than trolling the web.

The IDIOCY of that post defies any possible description. It would've left everyone in my fifth grade class with his mouth hanging open in stunned silence.

Ridgerodent - 2011/09/04

So a loop of green spot fails at 260lbs. Have you tested this hypothesis and found it to be accurate?

Dude, you might want to work on your math/logic skills.

Dude go learn to fly a hang glider...

I learned to fly a hang glider in 1980, asshole.

There's just no other response that really works there.
TadEareckson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Free » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:22 am

Frank Zappa:

"The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion.
At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery,
they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way
and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
Free
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:06 am

Excellent quote Warren. Several future books (like 1984) included the idea that those in power would keep us "entertained" and distracted with endless diversions while they effectively layed the bricks at the back of the theater.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:26 am

:lolno: :problem: :thumbdown: :clap:
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Free » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:51 am

bobk wrote:Excellent quote Warren. Several future books (like 1984) included the idea that those in power would keep us "entertained" and distracted with endless diversions while they effectively layed the bricks at the back of the theater.

Well those in power are now taking down the scenery and pulling back the curtains.
Humanity is at a crossroads.
Is the great freedom experiment over or will we wake up and see the true dangers and enemies of humanity?

Bob, you talked about some work in neural thinking patterns. Can you tell us more?
Who was paying for this research? Let me guess.. military industrial complex?

Free
Contributor
Contributor

Orwells' "1984"

Postby Free » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:40 am

1984 The Movie - part 1
John Hurt, Richard Burton
Produced in 1984

Older BBC version- full version
Produced in 1954
Free
Contributor