Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Offensive Aviation Adjectives.

Postby Chris McKeon » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:30 am

Well I am not allowed to say how I truly feel about Flying here on this site. For Bob will; {BAN ME} if I use a descriptive adjective to describe how I feel regarding how I have not flown My Predator in twelve years. I mean that. It really has been Twelve long Years. But I do not want to use an adjective that Bob deems offensive.

Addendum - I just posted my attempt at humor and it requires that you have an IQ higher than you can fly. I was just joking, and by the way, Bob can't fly high.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Offensive Aviation Adjectives.

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:37 am

In case anyone is wondering what Chris is talking about, I've mentioned to Chris that some people may find the term "air horny" to be offensive (and possibly vulgar). But I've never threatened to ban him or anyone else for using that term. In fact, here are two other posts where Chris has used the term and they are both still on the forum:

After seeing Chris's post this morning, I decided to look up the term to be sure that it meant what I thought it meant. So I went to Wiktionary to look it up. Here's what I found:

Wiktionary wrote:horny
1. Hard or bony, like an animal's horn.
2. Having the hard consistency and pale colour of an animal's horn.
3. Having horns.
4. (slang, informal) Sexually aroused.
5. (slang, informal) Sexually arousing.

I think we can rule out definitions 1, 2, and 3, and that leaves us with 4 and 5. They both explicitly mention "Sexually" rather than just being aroused in general. That confirms my understanding of the term.

Using my own judgement, I would say that the term is in the "gray area". It's not in the forum's list of offensive words, and I haven't added it. But it is the kind of word that might cause a young child to ask "Mommy, what does 'horny' mean?". It might also be a violation of our Terms of Service which state: "You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material ...". I personally find the term to be slightly vulgar, and according to Wiktionary, it is "sexually" oriented. But, as I said, I think it's in the gray area, and I welcome the thoughts of other members and Board Members.

At this point in time, I'm inclined to allow it (as I have in the past), but to also discourage it (as I have in the past). We do value free speech, but we'd like people to be considerate of others and how others might view the site. I know that Chris is just ribbing me in this "Offensive Aviation Adjectives" topic, but even so, we do have to be careful about how we present ourselves on this forum.

With those thoughts in mind, please try to be as considerate as you can. Thanks.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:44 pm

Words alluding to obscenity or sexual content inferences may be considered, Off Topic, and inappropriate for children researching hang gliding.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby eagle » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:42 am

Wait a Minute,... Bla Bla Bla... While conversations go everywhere.
Our park " Torrey Pines Gliderport is held hostage by a USHPA wako.
We are being forced into a contract, to buy insurance and a toll pass to use a free public park.

Its called "Public Extortion by City Contract,"
A racketeering operation, orchestrated by our USHPA leaders, and the David Jebb SDPD crime family... Tandem Mafia Cabal

The sad part BOB is that this has continued for years because facts are being kept secrete, while we the public are being robbed of our freedom as our leaders are fighting over the Cash Cow Contract

I'm a Horny Toad and always horny for a flight

Always Horny.jpg
Always Horny.jpg (122.33 KiB) Viewed 699 times
eagle
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Offensive Aviation Adjectives. Sink, is a four letter wo

Postby Chris McKeon » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:18 pm

Ok I want to say that this Word, is an offensive Four Letter Word. I realize that I will be banned for typing this Offensive, Vogler, Filthy Four letter Cuss Word, so be it. Well I have many times have had to realize that I had excessive {SINK} to deal with. I apologize for using this Four Letter Cuss Word. But Sink is what is going on when We are attempting to spread our wings, and cover Ground.

I mean, heck almot all of Us have had to deal with excessive {SINK} when Flying X/C. I guess that there is no shame in Sinking out when I fly XC. But I know that the Day will come one Day, when it is "I" who will be in the retrieval vehicle, With My Predator strapped on top of the Truck when we pull up to where the Topless Glider had landed. Yes maybe that Day is now. A Topless Glider will indeed Fly further than My Predator.

I just want to apologize. For if I offended anyone, Sorry.
Chris McKeon
Contributor
Contributor

Forum Statistics