Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Farewell to Katherine Yardley

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:35 am

From the Sylmar Forum:

On October 4th, 2019, Rob wrote:Yesterday, Katherine was found floating unconscious during a snorkeling outing with a friend, while vacationing in Hawaii. CPR efforts were unsuccessful. No additional details are known at this time but an autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.

Joe Greblo wrote:For all of us in the SHGA, there can be no greater friend and no more important contributor than Katherine. Katherine was an important player in every significant club milestone, as a founding member and past president of the SHGA, women’s world record cross country distance holder, longtime hang gliding political and promotional visionary, and hardworking club secretary.

I can’t think of anyone else that has been in our club for as long, and donated as much time and effort toward protecting and advancing our flying privileges and flying fun than Katherine; and always with character and class and a smile.

With the heartbreak of recently losing both her mother and her only son, her hang gliding friends took on the role of family, for which we can all share proudly.

I feel blessed by having known Katherine, and I’m so happy that I was able to spend a week flying with her in Mexico, a week flying with her in the Soviet Union, and more than 4 decades flying with her in Sylmar.

I am sorry however that I didn’t do enough to show her how important she has been to all of us, and I’m grateful for those of you that did.

Malury wrote:Here is an outstanding video you may have seen by Wayne Yentis. Time to look again. It's got so many beloved friends and some who have left the Earth already. Katherine Yardley at the 30 minute mark, Rome Dodson, Irwin too!

Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Farewell to Katherine Yardley

Postby JoeF » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:47 am

Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Forum Statistics