Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: Kansas City Hang Gliding Crash

Postby wingspan33 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:40 pm

Free wrote:There has never been a Dragonfly in use to tow hang gliders that was an ultrallight.
. . .

Please pardon me. I must therefore assume that the Dragonfly was beyond the FAA weight limits of a legitimate ultralight. Would I be correct? Personally I've never towed behind a Dragonfly. The closest I've gotten was the Cozmose powered hang glider. I also did a lot of ATOL truck towing. No ultralight involved there either. :thumbup:
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Free » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:43 pm

wingspan33 wrote: I must therefore assume that the Dragonfly was beyond the FAA weight limits of a legitimate ultralight. Would I be correct?

You would be correct and it isn't a hard concept to understand but self appointed, Hang 2, flight park (flying club) manager Blindrodie couldn't quite get the picture even though I drew him a big ol' picture. All on his own, Jim Gaar called the FAA in Wichita Kansas and got an appointment to prove me wrong. They kept him there all day bringing in one and then another FAA official, incredulous obviously, at how ignorant u$hga people really were.

The next day or so Matt Tabor got a surprise visit from the FAA and they shut him down and then everybody was on notice.
Maybe Tim Herr put out a statement? I don't know but from then on it had to be a registered plane and a licensed pilot flying it to be legal.
I don't think AAS LLC ever got legal before they crashed the plane along with stealing my investment and funding ownership of the plane.

Jim Gaar started out as a fraud Regional Director and ended as a fraud flight park 'owner'.

Little did I know that our prank conspiracy to elect a fake Regional Director would actually birth a Rosemary's Baby.

Posted from a public library. No internet at home. One hand tied behind my back. Let the responses fly.
You all have the upper hand. I won't be back until tomorrow, Lord willing.
Free
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm beginning to see the bigger picture. What you did is start the dominoes falling and then someone pointed the finger at you as "causing" the problem. A problem that got too big to be good (for the u$hPa and aerotow [+ tandem] operators).

You're a very bad guy Warren! :thumbup: Obviously Dragonfly operators should have adhered to FAA reg.s and had legal pilots flying their aerotow planes. I'm not sure about FAA rules, but, as they say rules are rules. Violate them and you pay the penalty.

Oddly enough I think that Rochester Area Flyers (RAF) bought a Dragonfly to do areotowing. They spent just about all the money in their treasury doing so. Last I heard it was sitting idol (in a hanger that has to be paid for) because they don't have a qualified pilot. But the last I heard was from a couple years ago. So maybe they've got someone by now.

Heck, who needs mountain/hill launches if you have a tow plane. Right?
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:33 am

Warren,
This is very interesting.
Where in your timeline would this appear?

47172· Federal Register I Vol. 58. No. 171 I Tuesday, September 7, 1993
Federal Aviation Administration, Aviation Rulemaking Advisory Committee
General Aviation Certification and Operations Issue Area
Part 103 (Ultralight Vehicles) Working Group, Task 1 – Ultralight Vehicles
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... 071993.pdf

and this?

On February 5, 2002 the FAA published the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM),
‘‘Certification of Aircraft and Airmen for the Operation of Light-Sport Aircraft’’
(67 FR 5368; Feb. 5, 2002)

and this?

Part III, Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration
14 CFR Parts 1, 21, et al.
Certification of Aircraft and Airmen for the Operation of Light-Sport Aircraft; Final Rule
VerDate jul<14>2003 19:55 Jul 26, 2004 Jkt 203001 PO 00000 Frm 00001 Fmt 4717 Sfmt 4717 E:\FR\FM\27JYR3.SGM 27JYR3
44772 Federal Register / Vol. 69, No. 143 / Tuesday, July 27, 2004 / Rules and Regulations
(same URL as above)

Any other pertinent dates or time periods you can remember?

Heck, who needs a glider if you have an engine?
It's all the slippery slope to a purist...
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Free » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:37 pm

wingspan33 wrote:I'm beginning to see the bigger picture. What you did is start the dominoes falling and then someone pointed the finger at you as "causing" the problem. A problem that got too big to be good (for the u$hPa and aerotow [+ tandem] operators).

No, I didn't start anything bad for u$hPa or aerotow. I was quite willing to do what everybody else had been doing for years. Tow illegally like everybody else.
The problem was with the Gaar family/lawyer/crime syndicate. I don't have time to post the reasons why Jim Gaar was improperly 'running' the flying club I was involved in, but it was Gaar that decided no towing or flying the tug until the filthy corporation had hull insurance on the Dragonfly.

I told him that because we were going to be towing illegally, that insurance would never pay if the plane crashed anyway. He didn't get it.
It was also about this time that I lobbied for a scheduled board election to elect a General Manager that wasn't such an idiot.
The Partners failed to do so and Hang 2, General Manager Jim Gaar, proceeding without request, consultation or notice, made the infamous trip to Wichita to "work closely with the FAA" and got the entire Nation of tow parks, grounded. Evidently the FAA wasn't on to this before. At some point around this time frame Quest Air took the head of FAA, Sue Gardener, for a joy ride behind an illegal tug.
She loved it. It was in the u$hga magazine.

The towing shut down was all on Blindrodie. His continued official story is that he has big shot credibility because he once worked closely with the FAA. OMG.

Kansas City has to be the worst place in the country to hang glide. The closest real hg sites are 6 and 11 hrs away.
My thoughts were that for Kansas City, towing was the only thing to spur growth.

Rob Kells called a tug in a trailer, a "flight park in a box". But it takes more than a plane and a rope to make a flight park.
It's certainly not a good plan to give the reigns of 'management' to a Hang 2 son of a lawyer.

A dozen years later Jim Gaar is still not qualified for any operating functions of a flight park.
He literally ran the flying club into the ground, ending with a broken, belly up tug.
I assume it looked a lot like the tug pictured in the first post here. Forgive me for posting the wrong picture.

I believe Jim Gaar has an obligation to come clean with an accounting of the facts surrounding the failure of the flight park/flying club.
I also believe that the 'Corporation' acted unethically in "removing" me from my property, the Dragonfly in question.
I'm calling him a liar and a thief. I don't believe he has the fortitude to come here and defend himself because he can't.
I think he is a coward because that is how people like him roll.

Of Len Smith and Doug Dubois, I had more faith..
But it turned out I was mistaken.
They could still make amends if they only had the integrity. It's on them.
I'll cover more on that down the road...

Thanks for the comments.
Free
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi Free,

Thanks for those details. Could you be a bit more specific about dates? Maybe give a timeline of events? For example:

Example wrote:2003-10-28: This happened ...
2003-10-31: Then this happened ...
2004-01-14: Then this happened ...

I'm not writing to question (or endorse) your earlier comments, but it might be more helpful for everyone to see what happened in the context of time.

Thanks.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Previous
Forum Statistics