Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: Cape Kiwanda HG reunion anyone?

Postby Frank Colver » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:38 am

Thanks Dave. I've been wanting to get back ever since the 40th. I was hoping that there would be a 45th Oregon anniversary this past May. I envision this reunion meet to not be complicated just good conversations and good flying. No seminar or anything like that but of course people will tend to gather in the evenings, for meals and stories (some exaggerated of course). No s***, there I was,........................ :D

The neat thing is that next time I'll be flying a modern hang glider, instead of my old Eipper. I had thought that if I went back to C.K., I would be taking my Alpha 210. But now that i have both a Condor 330 and a Condor 225 those will be my gliders. The 330 for early low wind glides off the dune and the 225 for a little more wind (maybe soaring). It's great to have a choice, depending on conditions. And of course, always the choice to not fly at any given time. :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

It was a great honor when Wills Wing gave a nod of approval for me to purchase these two beautiful gliders. Good judgment will not betray that trust.

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:59 am

Here is the Cape Kiwanda tide forecast table for April, May, & June, 2018.

It doesn't look very good for late April / early May since the high tides occur from mid day into afternoon.

Cape Kiwanda tides-April-May-June 2018.jpg
Cape Kiwanda tides-April-May-June 2018.jpg (463.49 KiB) Viewed 4274 times

It would be OK, if we were to hold the Otto meet there in the week covering May 23rd

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks for the tide charts Frank.

Since there will be 2 high tides a day, I assume we should look for a date that's got them as far from peak flying as possible.

For example, April 8th has high tides at 6:32am and 9:05pm. They're also both less than 6 feet which makes them on the smaller side. It's also a Sunday. I'm assuming we might be there for a few days ... maybe up to a week

Personally, I like having the Otto meet at Dockweiler, even if I couldn't fly. Besides, if we combine them, we only have one event. But if we keep them separate ... we get two. ;)
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:22 pm

I was suggesting a week for this event, including 2 weekends for working folks, since several days will be rain.

The problem I see with early April is the likelihood of more rainy days according to the info from Dave Raybourn.
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:19 pm

Frank Colver wrote:I was suggesting a week for this event, including 2 weekends for working folks, since several days will be rain.

I like that plan.But there may be people who'd like to attend the Otto meet who can't drive that far. Depending on my work schedule, I may be among them. So I'd vote to make the Kiwanda event something different at a different time. The Otto meet at Dockweiler has been a super event, and I hope we can keep it as it has been.

I converted your table into a rough graph if that helps us think about it:

Tides_rough_800.png
Tides_rough_800.png (29.06 KiB) Viewed 4253 times

We will want to be flying in one of the dark bands during the best times of the day. There are a number to choose from, but a 9-day stretch will tend to push into some of the medium tides. Sorry I haven't had time to add numeric dates yet.
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:16 pm

Looking back at the chart I posted, it looks like Friday May 4th through Thursday May 11th might be a good compromise. I now think the a long week (more than 7 days) including two weekends is too ambitious because of the tide changes.

May 4th through 11th is one week and includes a weekend. At the beginning of the period the beach is good early and at the end it is good later in the day.

These dates would give plenty of time to return to SoCal and get ready for the Otto #47 meet at Dockweiler, which would be on either the 20th or the 27th of May (we need to decide). The LA County event permit and event insurance for Dockweiler can be taken care of in April so that would not be a conflicting time problem.

This first full week in May is close to the same time that the Oregon 40th anniversary was held in 2012. That was basically a one day, Saturday, event but it was a beautiful flying day in the middle of some other high wind days. I also went river rafting after the meet.

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:23 pm

Frank Colver wrote:May 4th through 11th is one week and includes a weekend. At the beginning of the period the beach is good early and at the end it is good later in the day.

That week looks good to me also.

It's still far out so I might have a work conflict (or my ongoing court case).

But barring any such conflicts, I'd be likely to go.    :thumbup:
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:49 pm

I'll send out an e-mail to my list that has some who probably don't look at this forum and see if I can stir up some interest. If there aren't enough interested pilots then it wouldn't be feasible to do the reunion.

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Frank Colver wrote:If there aren't enough interested pilots then it wouldn't be feasible to do the reunion.

The less crowded ... the more flying for us!!      ;)

It doesn't have to be a reunion to just be a great flying trip. It would be good to meet a lot of our Northwest Hawks in person ... maybe pick up Rick along the way.    :thumbup:
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:52 pm

If we do this, the week would be May 4th through the 11th. Please respond if you think you might come to this informal "fly-in".

I'm currently "on the fence" about doing this event (1200 miles drive each way for me) so let me know if you are interested.

Please post to other forums.

Frank Colver
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics