Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Cape Kiwanda HG reunion anyone?

Postby Frank Colver » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:30 pm

I would like to have a gathering of old time HG pilots at Cape Kiwanda (Oregon) sand dune some time in the next year, for perhaps a week long gathering and flying.. This would not necessarily be an Otto anniversary meet but just a gathering of pilots like myself who have returned to HG or are still flying or just hanging around the fringes of the sport. Of course it would not be limited to those pilots, all HG pilots would be welcome.

However, since I'm in SoCal and not a Cape Kiwanda local, I've put out questions to Oregonians as to the best time of year, for wind and tide, and if anyone controls the site and requires USHPA insurance, in case some old non-current USHPA pilots show up.

Please post your thoughts about this. :?:

Frank C.

Flying the dune.jpg
Flying the dune.jpg (242.11 KiB) Viewed 6388 times
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cape Kiwanda HG reunion anyone?

Postby wingspan33 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:23 am

Frank,

It sounds like a good idea to me, but since I live in NYS I wouldn't be likely to participate. I hope that at least a few US Hawks pilots (and/or others) will find the idea appealing. It sure looks like a great place to get some "low and slow" flying in. Is it soarable with the right wind conditions?

Good luck with your plan! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:17 am

I can't make a commitment this far out, but I like the idea.    :thumbup:

It will also depend (obviously) on the USHPA requirement issue. Please let us know what you find out about that requirement. Does anyone know who owns that land?
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:02 am

It's owned by the State of Oregon. [ http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?d ... parkId=130 ]

That could be a good thing since Oregon probably has its own Recreational Land Use law.
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick Masters » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:23 am

Cape Kiwanda (185 acres) was given to the State of Oregon by banker B.A McPhillips in 1973 when trespassers began getting killed there while engaged in recreational activities.
http://law.justia.com/cases/oregon/supreme-court/1974/521-p-2d-340-5.html
It was designated a State Natural Area. Seven people have died falling into the ocean and onto the rocks since 2009.
http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=130
On June 7, 1975, Michael Moore, founder of the Oregon Hang Gliding Association, was killed there on tow when his hang glider over-stressed and failed. Moore had made a 2.5 hour flight above the dune that had received national attention.

Chris Havel, Oregon Parks and Recreation Department
Communications and Research Division
(503) 986-0722

Oregon Recreational Use Statute
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors105.html

2013 ORS 105.676
Public policy
The Legislative Assembly hereby declares it is the public policy of the State of Oregon to encourage owners of land to make their land available to the public for recreational purposes, for gardening, for woodcutting and for the harvest of special forest products by limiting their liability toward persons entering thereon for such purposes and by protecting their interests in their land from the extinguishment of any such interest or the acquisition by the public of any right to use or continue the use of such land for recreational purposes, gardening, woodcutting or the harvest of special forest products. [1995 c.456 §2; 2009 c.532 §3]

2013 ORS 105.699
Rules applicable to state lands
The State Forester, under the general supervision of the State Board of Forestry, may adopt any rules considered necessary for the administration of the provisions of ORS 105.672 (Definitions for ORS 105.672 to 105.696) to 105.696 (Duty of care or liability not created) on state land. [1979 c.434 §8; 1995 c.456 §7]The State Forester, under the general supervision of the State Board of Forestry, may adopt any rules considered necessary for the administration of the provisions of ORS 105.672 (Definitions for ORS 105.672 to 105.696) to 105.696 (Duty of care or liability not created) on state land. [1979 c.434 §8; 1995 c.456 §7]
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:35 am

What a great group of pilots!!!

I asked a question, went out to water the garden, came back to find answers from sea to shining sea. :)
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:50 pm

To answer Wingspan33's question: yes it has been soared many times by many HG pilots and also PG pilots.

The one soaring flight that i witnessed was very inspiring. It was mid-morning on the day of the "40th anniversary of Oregon hang gliding" meet in May of 2012. The wind had not picked up yet this early in the day and most HG pilots were just hanging out on the beach waiting for more wind. Someone hauled a WW Condor 330 up the dune and started soaring back and forth. It was a beautiful thing to see. This giant white "bird" floating gracefully along the dune and the adjacent forested bluff. I don't know who it was but I assumed, that since it was a Condor, that it was most likely someone from the flight school that operates there.

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ground Slammer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:09 am

The last time I rubbed the rust off my wings I looked into Cape K. They were a club rules training site and I was both a bandit and had vintage wings. I checked into Oregon Dunes NRA, the superintendant of the NRA was anamant-no one could tell me I could not fly my SwallowTail or Alpine. Also I was welcome to use all parts of the park furthermore, she had set aside area's were OHV's were exculed and hang gliding would be allowed! If any OHV's encroched on exculed flying call the rangers--as well if any instructor or club tried to interfear with my flying. That was quite a few years ago. The out back sandunes of Oregon Dunes NRA No Rules-Just Right! ;)
Ground Slammer
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks for that info GS.

I sent an e-mail to David Raybourn, who had organized the 40th anniversary meet at CK, and asked him about site control and rules. He should be very knowledgeable about flying there and any rules that apply. Unfortunately he has not replied to my questions. I have found it difficult in the past to get him to reply to e-mail questions. :?

FC
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:35 pm

Ground Slammer wrote:They were a club rules training site ...

I made some of my first flights at Cape Kiwanda back in 1978. I remember my instructor sort of made fun of saying "UUUSHGA" when saying that we didn't need to be a member to fly there. But that's been almost 40 years now...

Frank, if you're up for organizing a trip, we might be able to put a few folks together. We might even be able to pick up Rick along the way. :!:
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Next
Forum Statistics