Re: July 26th, 2017

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:05 pm

LOOK MA NO U$hPA!! :thumbup:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: July 26th, 2017 - Freedom from USHPA Day at Dockweiler

Postby Rick Masters » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:46 pm

The US Hawks have established a legal precedent that marks the beginning of the end of the illegal U$HPA monopoly created by amateur sportsmen pretending to be totalitarian authoritarians on crack.
I said long ago that the way to deal with Bob is to sit down and discuss differences.
Whether you liked or disliked Bob was irrelevant.
That is really all that could be done.

Taking away Bob's RIGHT to fly hang gliders at Torrey Pines was a stupid overreach by U$HPA.
Such blunders take time to correct themselves and often result in unintended consequences.
The unintended consequence here is the eventual loss of the U$HPA's insurance monopoly on flying sites across the country.
This cynical corporate strategy was a fiction from the beginning, far outside the intent of the FAA, but it might have been able to continue, had the U$HPA Directors been less full of themselves and more open to criticism.
Once they began incorporating draconian banishment of hang glider pilots from hang gliding sites for anything but safety violations, their days were numbered.

If the U$HPA were a hang gliding organization, this would be, perhaps, unfortunate for the status quo.
But since the U$HPA has, unfortunately, become a parachuting organization with some hang gliders in it, it's okay because the status quo has mutated beyond recognition.
We need to start over.
We need a hang gliding organization in the United States that is dedicated to recreational hang gliding.
No tandem. No paragliders. No schools. Just people flying hang gliders for fun.
A hang gliding organization that uses the recreational liability laws now common in the USA to place liability on individual members
and not connect them with the disaster of parachuting or the increased risk of commercial training or tandem profiteering or forcing continual growth.
The idea that all this added stuff is necessary - paragliding, schools, tandem, comps, growth - is a rationalization based on profit.
None of it is necessary for the future of hang gliding.
Hang gliding will persist as long as people strap high performance wings to their backs and jump off mountains.
It's a sport. Not a sustainable business model. Not a path to profit.*
It's driven by enthusiasts, not managers.

Someday Bob's courage and perseverance will be recognized by the hang gliding community as the trigger that freed them from creeping corporate bondage.
For now, my recognition will have to suffice.
Thanks, Bob.
Nice job!     :salute:
-------
* Please note that I am not against hang gliding schools, real tandem training, competitions or growth. They are simply beyond the scope and liability constraints of a recreational hang gliding association.
Rick Masters
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:47 am

OKAY FOLKS, HERE IS THE LINK TO THE VIDEO OF THE 1ST FLIGHT UNDER THE NEW OPERATING RULES OF THE LA COUNTY. BOB, OF COURSE, MADE THE FIRST FLIGHT ON THIS HISTORIC DAY. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

https://vimeo.com/227913541

Frank Colver ( with thanks for the others)

At the end of the day we toasted the occasion with sparkling cider "champagne" (no alcohol).
Toasting the day of free flying.jpg
Toasting the day of free flying.jpg (361.78 KiB) Viewed 8119 times
Last edited by Frank Colver on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:24 am

Ahhhhhh, . . . So now we hear the BIG news! And it wasn't about flying in NYS. :cry:

I was having fun spreading Fake News! 8-) Actually a little bird came along told me what the real deal was a few days ago. :thumbup:

I would like to thank the following pilots for their efforts in making this happen -

Joe Faust

Frank Colver

Bob Kuczewski

This may provide a "lesson" for the San Diego City Board. As I'm fairly sure will happen, Bob will present this information to the counsel members and ask (?) "What's wrong with the City of San Diego?"

Furthermore, I think the "Look Ma No U$hPA" situation in LA will first (and mostly) effect flying in California. For the LA decision to have wider applicability (Nation wide) I'd expect that a legal case would have to be won in a Federal Court. That may also have to be what happens to fix the Torrey Pines mess.

But once again, GREAT JOB GUYS!
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:59 am

See updated earlier post with photo added.

FC
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wingspan33 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:34 pm

UPDATE!

By way of cell phone communication -

Bob and Joe (and I think Frank) flew again today at Dockweiler! :salute: :clap: :thumbup: :salute: :clap: :thumbup:

When I called I was going to ask Bob about being at the San Diego City Counsel meeting, arguing about being able to fly in LA but not Torrey. But instead he was flying in LA and NOT at the SD City counsel meeting. :?: :?: :?:

I think the LA politicians are in cahoots with their SD counterparts. :twisted: The only days Bob can fly in LA are the same days the City Counsel meets in San Diego. :wtf: Mere coincidence? :eh:

( I feel like a tabloid journalist! :lolno: :mrgreen: )
wingspan33
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:21 am

Frank, thanks for having the foresight to bring the glasses and the sparkling cider. That photo is one for the history books, and it captures a wonderful moment in all of our lives.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:40 am

wingspan33 wrote:Bob and Joe (and I think Frank) flew again today at Dockweiler! :salute: :clap: :thumbup: :salute: :clap: :thumbup:

Frank had a prior commitment on Tuesday so it was just Joe and I. We had attended the LA County Board meeting in the morning to give our thanks. We got out early enough to spend a long afternoon flying at Dockweiler. :)

wingspan33 wrote:I think the LA politicians are in cahoots with their SD counterparts. :twisted: The only days Bob can fly in LA are the same days the City Counsel meets in San Diego. :wtf: Mere coincidence? :eh:

:srofl:

It's a good theory, but Joe Greblo sets his days of operation. It would be nice if he could be closed later in the week. ;)
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:40 pm

For a long time, it has amazed me that USHPA has consistently underestimated the passion and dedication that US Hawks members have had for the sport of hang gliding.

But just this morning (as I was munching on potato chips left over from this week's Dockweiler celebration), the answer dawned on me. They don't understand our passion and dedication for hang gliding ... because they don't have it themselves!

USHPA's Board is now made up of mostly paragliding pilots and/or businessmen trying to wring every buck they can from hang gliding or paragliding. They're not involved to further hang gliding or for the love of the sport. They're involved to further themselves or to further a sport that's not hang gliding.

They've assumed that we are like them. They've assumed that if they made life hard on us ... we'd just walk away - as they would. Our pure dedication to recreational hang gliding is foreign to USHPA's leadership, and that's why they've been blind to our determination. They just can't see in others what they don't have in themselves.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Very good points, Bob. I agree.

I carry within me the spirit of those early hang gliding days and the passion that goes with it. The memories I hold are true treasures. To fly without an expensive machine and flying an aircraft which weighs considerably less than the pilot was a dream come true. As close to mimicking bird flight as we have come to date. A paraglider can fulfill the same dream but carries with it the ever present danger of collapse, death spiral, flying ahead of the pilot, etc.

Frank Colver
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics