Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Re: US Hawks Announces 44th Anniv. Otto Lilienthal Meet / Fl

Postby KaiMartin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:25 pm

Just came across this Otto von Lilienthal documentary by German public broadcast in 1989. The emphasis is on the path with that led Otto to his famous gliders. The construction was not invented from thin air but was a mixture of learning from birds, years experimental aerodynamics, and a good portion of practical experience.

The youtube teaser image shows a Lilienthal actor operating a replica of an ornithopter contraption -- one of the early trials to produce lift. But see for yourself:

The video is German only with no subtitles. The video works mainly with re-enacted scenes, which may be comprehensible even without the narrator. (I can provide translation when needed.)

---<)kaimartin(>---
KaiMartin
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ARP » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:15 am

Kai,

The Lilienthal "actor" is Bernd Lukasch, Director of the Otto Lilienthal Museum. The Museum is in Anklam, the birthplace of Lilienthal, and more information can be found here:- http://www.lilienthal-museum.de/olma/eotto.htm

Stephan Nitsch built many of the gliders on display in the museum, details of which are on his web site:- http://www.liederknechte.de/jumpnfly/ni.htm

Tony
ARP
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:01 am

KaiMartin wrote:Just came across this Otto von Lilienthal documentary by German public broadcast in 1989. The emphasis is on the path with that led Otto to his famous gliders. The construction was not invented from thin air but was a mixture of learning from birds, years experimental aerodynamics, and a good portion of practical experience.

The youtube teaser image shows a Lilienthal actor operating a replica of an ornithopter contraption -- one of the early trials to produce lift. But see for yourself:

The video is German only with no subtitles. The video works mainly with re-enacted scenes, which may be comprehensible even without the narrator. (I can provide translation when needed.)

---<)kaimartin(>---

At 5:59 into the video it looks to me as though the actor is facing the rear of his flying wing.
Look at the way the louvers (slats) relieve themselves on the up beat of the wing. Wouldn’t that direct the flow of air in the direction that the actor is facing? Wouldn't this impede movement in the direction the actor is facing?
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby brianscharp » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:19 am

At 5:59 into the video it looks to me as though the actor is facing the rear of his flying wing.

Me too.
brianscharp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ARP » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:38 am

The scene shows an experiment to see how much upward lift can be generated using flapping wings on a static rig. As there is no intention to move from the spot it makes little difference which way round the "pilot" is facing.
ARP
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:42 pm

It's August .... time to start thinking about next year's Otto Meet yet?
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:13 pm

Yes! And now it can be sponsored by the Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Societyy. :thumbup: :clap:

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:49 pm

fcolver wrote:Yes! And now it can be sponsored by the Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Societyy. :thumbup: :clap:

Super idea Frank!!!!    Maybe it could be co-sponsored by the US Hawks as well.    :thumbup:
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:13 pm

... under the training auspices of Windsports ...
under the constraints of the recreational training insurance umbrella of Windsports ???

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Frank Colver » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Joe, that's how it was this year. Except it was Bob & US Hawks that was the sponsor and paid Windsports for the day and use of their guys & equipment. It would be the same except FDGS would replace Bob/Hawks in that position. Since there are no dues, several of us would have to contribute to cover the cost. I'm willing to participate in that.

Frank
Frank Colver
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics