Sign in, say "hi", ... and be welcomed.

Rack ideas

Postby jcoyier » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:28 pm

I flew with a pilot that had fabricated an interesting suction cup rack that could be mounted on just about any vehicle hood. I neglected to take a photo of the device and now wish I would have. Anyone out there encounter something based on a window pane suction cup holder?
jcoyier
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Rack ideas

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:37 pm

I've seen a toilet plunger on a hood with a PVC pipe rack slid over the plunger handle.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Rack ideas

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:05 am

jcoyier wrote:I flew with a pilot that had fabricated an interesting suction cup rack that could be mounted on just about any vehicle hood. I neglected to take a photo of the device and now wish I would have. Anyone out there encounter something based on a window pane suction cup holder?

I've used the plunger arrangement as an "emergency" rack. In addition to the suction cups, I also added ropes on the hood to ensure that the cups couldn't slide very far if they came loose.

Since then, a friend has introduced me to the "crutch rack" which is an aluminum crutch that slides over a pole that's been welded or screwed to the front end. Because the crutch slides over the pole, when it's removed, there isn't much left on the vehicle. I think I've posted some pictures somewhere before, but I can't find the posts. Maybe I'll take some more pictures tomorrow when I fly at Funston ... again. :)
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Forum Statistics