Lilienthal Award

Postby terryJm » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:29 am

Hello Bob, and anyone interested; I wish to propose we reinstitute the Lilienthal award, to honor both Otto, and new pilots, when they achieve their first true soaring flight. To begin with, all of the hawks qualified, should have the right to wear thier award proudly, and as new members grow into the skill, they may apply for recognition, and join us among the distenguished holders of this symbol of excelence! I know of a pilot, at Bigsprings, who has a reputation for jewelery designe for producing a pendant appropreat to our style. Please consider this idea seriously, THANKS AGAIN, Terry
terryJm
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Lilienthal Award

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:56 pm

I like this idea a lot. Thanks Terry!! :thumbup:
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:56 pm

terryJm wrote:...first true soaring flight. ...

Definition?
Equivalent to Otto Lilienthal's flights?
Self-awarded? Or how to appraise?

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby terryJm » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:04 pm

The Original award Qualifing requirments, is what was ment by, reinstate the award. I'm not sure, seemed like any solid H2 should be capable, not too difficult, yet spectaculer, We should be open to sugjestion. If this meets with gen., approval, we may consider a further award for more advanced skills, such as Master class skill and glider lore, may be awarded the ' Worthington' with associate privledges. Yet to be Announced? We have a ways to go before finnal decision,time to think! later Terry
terryJm
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:20 am

Terry, I really appreciate your thinking and enthusiasm!!

Sometimes I think the US Hawks is a waste of time, then a bright spot appears out of nowhere!!

Thanks for shining this idea on us.   :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sincerely,
Bob Kuczewski
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Neil Larson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:08 pm

What a super idea , I am in favor of this recognition of HG pilot's advancement from elementary gliding to sustained soaring flight. As more of the on going brainstorm on this subject progresses it will be fun to witness the full achievement of this worthwhile goal.
May I suggest , as with challenge "coins" in the military , a variety of different "trophies or awards may be included & supported , even as Joe mentioned the pilot may be able to initiate his or her own design concept for their own Lilienthal Award. In the military , such Challenge coins are handed off by upper ranks to lower as a token of recognition & achievement. So too , in HG a more advanced Pilot may prefer to present such an award or Lilienthal Coin, after a Soaring Flight has been demonstrated.
Thus a coin of popular design may be re-struck and requested for future presentations , thus opening a wide variety of art & design into this Soaring Trophy system-
Good Ideas keep coming in... :clap:
From Day One
Neil Larson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:28 pm

I was just wandering down memory lane here in the Otto Site Marker forum when I found Terry's post above.

For those who don't know, we lost Terry earlier this year in a towing fatality. I attended his services in Leakey Texas, and I was extremely impressed by the number of people who knew Terry and who appreciated his good nature and spirit.

In re-reading Terry's post, I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to turn Terry's own good idea in his own direction. Maybe we should have a Terry Mason award recognizing enthusiasm and love of the sport. I'm not sure if that would be a national US Hawks award or maybe a Southwest Texas Hang Gliders club award. But either way, I like the idea of remembering Terry ... even more than the idea of remembering Otto.

Any thoughts?
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi BobK,

Otto died too. In a HG accident.

Thoughts?? Oh yeah. Plenty.

The next scooter tow trailer plates will be personalized. "Terry- 1".

It won't bring Him back, or Otto.

Terry moved down to Tx. because of ther moderate winter conditions and because he had heard of the record HG condidtions that exist here.

He was a pioneer. 20yr earlier and we'd have set some records

:wave: .
Sam
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:39 pm

Terry001.jpg
Terry001.jpg (42.08 KiB) Viewed 13330 times
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Forum Statistics