payout

Forum for SW Texas Hang Gliders Club - Southwest Texas

Re: payout

Postby Bill Cummings » Tue May 28, 2013 11:58 am

Quote from Bobk,
“----But I was wondering if the underlying problem in this crash (and possibly Terry's) might be that hang gliders are insufficiently stable under those conditions. What struck me was that the glider started moving to the right (from camera perspective) and the pilot corrected but ended up to the left where
he crashed. Is this a case of PIO?”

BC’s Response,
I believe that most hang gliders are sufficiently stable for towing. Gliders like the Airwave K-2 with their alleged designed anhedral for ease of roll control are in my opinion insufficiently stable for low airtime pilots.

Any glider that will exhibit adverse oscillating yaw at any speed within its VNE is insufficiently stable for free flight ( forget towing.) in my opinion.

A vertical stabilizer installed on the old K-2 glider will cure the oscillating adverse yaw problem. (I’ve done it so I know that it works.)

If you return to the Bob Buxton Youtube video and run it in HD you will see the tow line sliding over the base tube against Bob Buxton’s left handed Bar Mitt and hanging up there. This is the beginning of the lock-out. The towline at this point is pulling the control bar base tube toward the tow vehicle. That banks the glider away from the tow vehicle and to Bobs right. (Put another way, to the left side of the camera.)
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.ph%20...%20highlight=
Releasing upon discovery of the towline being routed improperly is necessary.
Failing to notice the improperly routed (over the base tube) towline the next clue would be the glider not responding to control input. This also makes releasing necessary.

Quote from Bobk,
“-----What struck me was that the glider started moving to the right (from camera perspective) and the pilot corrected but ended up to the left where he crashed. Is this a case of PIO?”
Bill C. response,
It doesn’t look like PIO to me. More likely the texture of the air or a thermal induced turn.
It could even be Bob Buxton’s right hand applying more forward force than his left hand. Remember he is being pulled by his harness. On lift off if Bob was pushing out to climb away from the truck and if he was slightly right of center on the control bar with his hips, he could be yawing the glider to its left. (The right hand pushing forward more so than his left hand.)
Another possibility is that upon lift off the tow line over the base tube was slightly left of center pulling down on that side of the base tube causing the turn to the left.
Whatever the cause for the initial left turn it did not look serious. Bob may have put too much control input to the right and over shot his desired position behind the truck that lead to the certain lock-out due to the towline being in contact with the base tube.

When routing the towline over the base tube-----
If a pilot is towing from the shoulder straps only (which I don’t like to do) the pilot can gain more altitude without having the towline come in contact with the base tube than if the pilot connects the towline near his/her hips.

I heard talk on the above video about giving Bob 35 miles per hour airspeed for lift off. If towing in Arizona I would be asking for around 30 or 31 miles per hour airspeed for PL towing. Towing here in New Mexico at 4,550’ msl I prefer 32 miles per hour airspeed for PL take off. In Minnesota at 1,300’ msl I would ask for 29 mph for PL lift off. I didn’t arrive at these speeds off of a DA chart but just through trial and error. (poke and pray).
Higher airspeeds than needed can put a double surface glider closer to an oscillation yaw situation. I’m not saying that 35 was too fast for Bob Buxton to be launching. I just prefer being closer to the middle of the envelope.

We all know that our flight envelope is not too fast and not too slow with good reasons for both.
While free flying I want to be somewhere between stall and VNE but for different reasons, like close to the ground, I like to fudge a little higher then near stall speed. In a thermal I fudge closer to stall, but not always.

When I have used the acronym, “DIO,” I was referring to Design Induced Oscillation. Not Driver Induced Oscillation.
However I do believe the driver is doing a lot of flying of the glider from the tow vehicle. If a pilot is out of position left or right behind the vehicle and holding that position thing can still go along just fine but if the driver increases tension on the towline the sweet spot narrows and it can narrow to the point of the driver creating the lock-out. Low tension means a wide sweet spot. High tension means a narrow/small sweet spot to be flying in.

I’m real sure a vertical stabilizer could have prevented a lot of towing accidents.
I’m real sure a vertical stabilizer could have prevented a lot of PIO during a lock-out on the way to the impact zone. (It will not prevent a lock-out!)

Sam, Here is a trick question, (using only a two word answer) What is YOUR favorite sport? :lol:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MikeLake » Tue May 28, 2013 4:55 pm

SamKellner wrote:
bobk wrote:My only towing has been a tandem aero tow, so I'm posting without much experience at all.

But I was wondering if the underlying problem might be that hang gliders are insufficiently stable under those conditions. Is this a case of PIO?

I was wondering if anyone has done any experimenting with vertical tail fins to dampen side to side oscillations during a tow. ?

Bob,
I don't think that HG design is insuffiently stable during tow ops, any more than HG is insufficiently stable while doing loops.

I have always used the verticle fin on my UltraSport, not because of the glider design. As a double surface intermediate, perhapps this modle attracts a lot of H-2s & 3s, and that's why the fin was included. If I was flying regularly, I'd probably ditch the fin.

Back to the video and about the line being over the bar: I almost think that the line being over the bar had very little to do with that accident.

Recently on the Yahoo Scootertow group, some of the most experienced reported normally towing with line over the bar, to top of tow :shock: . It surprised me.

Tow conversions in the UK are often performed with a single line over the bar.
This will take a pilot comfortably up a few hundred feet provided the line is free to move from side to side.

The guy in the back of the truck should have been trained to give all his attention to the glider instead of being preoccupied during this most critical part of the launch.
An easing of the line tension at the correct time would have prevented this accident.
It is possible that the pilot was also preoccupied because the line was over the bar when in fact this needn't have been an issue.

Without wishing to do any trumpet blowing I can say with some confidence that this accident would not have happened in the UK. No trained winch-man = no fly!

I have experimented with a vertical fin over the past couple of years.
This arrangement does nothing to prevent a lockout of course but it does dumb down the handling.
My old glider in free flight turned on a sixpence with little effort but was a ba****d to tow requiring constant corrections to keep anything like a straight line.
Adding a fin dampened down the handling and made the tows tolerable.

My new glider has nothing like the light handling of my old one but by comparison is a joy to tow without a fin.
MikeLake
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Wed May 29, 2013 8:59 am

billcummings wrote:Quote from Bobk,
“----But I was wondering if the underlying problem in this crash (and possibly Terry's) might be that hang gliders are insufficiently stable under those conditions. What struck me was that the glider started moving to the right (from camera perspective) and the pilot corrected but ended up to the left where
he crashed. Is this a case of PIO?”

BC’s Response,
I believe that most hang gliders are sufficiently stable for towing. Gliders like the Airwave K-2 with their alleged designed anhedral for ease of roll control are in my opinion insufficiently stable for low airtime pilots.

Any glider that will exhibit adverse oscillating yaw at any speed within its VNE is insufficiently stable for free flight ( forget towing.) in my opinion.

A vertical stabilizer installed on the old K-2 glider will cure the oscillating adverse yaw problem. (I’ve done it so I know that it works.)

If you return to the Bob Buxton Youtube video and run it in HD you will see the tow line sliding over the base tube against Bob Buxton’s left handed Bar Mitt and hanging up there. This is the beginning of the lock-out. The towline at this point is pulling the control bar base tube toward the tow vehicle. That banks the glider away from the tow vehicle and to Bobs right. (Put another way, to the left side of the camera.)
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.ph%20...%20highlight=
Releasing upon discovery of the towline being routed improperly is necessary.
Failing to notice the improperly routed (over the base tube) towline the next clue would be the glider not responding to control input. This also makes releasing necessary.

Quote from Bobk,
“-----What struck me was that the glider started moving to the right (from camera perspective) and the pilot corrected but ended up to the left where he crashed. Is this a case of PIO?”
Bill C. response,
It doesn’t look like PIO to me. More likely the texture of the air or a thermal induced turn.
It could even be Bob Buxton’s right hand applying more forward force than his left hand. Remember he is being pulled by his harness. On lift off if Bob was pushing out to climb away from the truck and if he was slightly right of center on the control bar with his hips, he could be yawing the glider to its left. (The right hand pushing forward more so than his left hand.)
Another possibility is that upon lift off the tow line over the base tube was slightly left of center pulling down on that side of the base tube causing the turn to the left.
Whatever the cause for the initial left turn it did not look serious. Bob may have put too much control input to the right and over shot his desired position behind the truck that lead to the certain lock-out due to the towline being in contact with the base tube.

When routing the towline over the base tube-----
If a pilot is towing from the shoulder straps only (which I don’t like to do) the pilot can gain more altitude without having the towline come in contact with the base tube than if the pilot connects the towline near his/her hips.

I heard talk on the above video about giving Bob 35 miles per hour airspeed for lift off. If towing in Arizona I would be asking for around 30 or 31 miles per hour airspeed for PL towing. Towing here in New Mexico at 4,550’ msl I prefer 32 miles per hour airspeed for PL take off. In Minnesota at 1,300’ msl I would ask for 29 mph for PL lift off. I didn’t arrive at these speeds off of a DA chart but just through trial and error. (poke and pray).
Higher airspeeds than needed can put a double surface glider closer to an oscillation yaw situation. I’m not saying that 35 was too fast for Bob Buxton to be launching. I just prefer being closer to the middle of the envelope.

We all know that our flight envelope is not too fast and not too slow with good reasons for both.
While free flying I want to be somewhere between stall and VNE but for different reasons, like close to the ground, I like to fudge a little higher then near stall speed. In a thermal I fudge closer to stall, but not always.

When I have used the acronym, “DIO,” I was referring to Design Induced Oscillation. Not Driver Induced Oscillation.
However I do believe the driver is doing a lot of flying of the glider from the tow vehicle. If a pilot is out of position left or right behind the vehicle and holding that position thing can still go along just fine but if the driver increases tension on the towline the sweet spot narrows and it can narrow to the point of the driver creating the lock-out. Low tension means a wide sweet spot. High tension means a narrow/small sweet spot to be flying in.

I’m real sure a vertical stabilizer could have prevented a lot of towing accidents.
I’m real sure a vertical stabilizer could have prevented a lot of PIO during a lock-out on the way to the impact zone. (It will not prevent a lock-out!)

Sam, Here is a trick question, (using only a two word answer) What is YOUR favorite sport? :lol:

I am now showing "Not Found" on the link above but found a different link to youtube that has the Bob Buxton accident.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2oeb0nNIKs
Bob was SG able to disable that link through his website coming from this website? It worked earlier.
If that is the case it would be a great disservice to pilots trying to understand an accident? :wtf:
Would that also indicate that SG follows the postings on the US Hawks? :?:
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JoeF » Wed May 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Looks like the copying of the link corrupted in the repost.

The video is still shown in
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=28305
i just used the URL tag on top of the URL.
Right on this line I will write the URL in composition, but without using the URL tag: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=28305
OK that worked, but when URLs are a certain longer ...then I have seen abbreviation in our program here.
Here is a link to a bunch of images with a long hairy URL, and watch the truncation:
https://www.google.com/search?safe=off& ... 0ooVjnfuxQ
But now on this line I copy and paste FROM THE POST'S ABBREVIATED THING: https://www.google.com/search?safe=off& ... 0ooVjnfuxQ
AND THAT WILL BRING NON-FUNCTION NOTICE or an unintended page.

The program here in the USHawks abbreviates the link and then when copied, the abbreviation is no longer the real link, if pasted to text compositon.
It might be different if the paste was to a link-receiving composition field.

I will use the link above to hyperlink via text: HERE
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed May 29, 2013 10:30 pm

I'm sorry to interrupt, but here's how you can embed most YouTube videos in the forum:

You just enter the video identifier from the YouTube web site into your post (type it in or use copy and paste). In this case the video identifier is "_2oeb0nNIKs". Then highlight the video identifier and click the "youtube" button in the editor panel to put the [youtube] and [/youtube] tags around the identifier. When you're done it should look something like this:

[youtube]_2oeb0nNIKs[/youtube]

That's the code that inserted the YouTube video just above it.

I hope that helps.
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Wed May 29, 2013 10:54 pm

billcummings wrote:I am now showing "Not Found" on the link above but found a different link to youtube that has the Bob Buxton accident.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2oeb0nNIKs
Bob was SG able to disable that link through his website coming from this website? It worked earlier.
If that is the case it would be a great disservice to pilots trying to understand an accident? :wtf:
Would that also indicate that SG follows the postings on the US Hawks? :?:

Computer hacking tends to be an all or nothing proposition. If SG were able to break into our site, then he could probably do whatever he wanted. But if he hasn't been able to break in, then I don't know of any way for him to disable our Youtube videos.

I do worry though. He's got a lot more experience with phpBB software than I do. And what he did to the TorreyHawksForum shows that he has no moral problem with using his skills in a less-than-professional manner.

Regarding the accident, I really appreciate the analysis that you (and everyone else) have been posting here. After reading your post, I went back and watched it in high def, and you're right about the tow rope on the bar. That's something that I wouldn't have looked for without your guidance. So I appreciate the posts (and expertise) that you've all shared on this forum. Thanks.
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Thu May 30, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks for the video link reminder Bob.
After watching the above video again I have this to say:
Another recommendation I would make is to have a horizontal padded “T” bar near the end of the truck release boom. This would catch the nose wires of the hang glider if the glider were to nose over (forward).

This can happen if for any reason the driver has to apply the brakes hard while moving, transporting, and before lift off. (or traveling down wind to the starting point.)

It can also nose over while the truck is stopped and a thermal breaks off in front of the tow vehicle. This situation can produce a 10 to 20 mph temporary tail wind that would nose the glider forward.

Without the padded nose over stop a lot of damage can result to the leading edge or the under surface of the glider. (I've been hurt as a winch operator.)

It looks like there are hand holds under the base tube for the pilot to hang onto while still in the launching yokes. This safety feature is extremely important to PL towing. The hand holds could be designed so that a line will not catch under them.
There should also be a quick hold down and release at each launching yoke. The second to last thing a pilot should say is, "The basetube safeties are out -go to cruse speed!"
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri May 31, 2013 5:29 pm

Back again for two more recommendations for enhanced safety procedures while platform towing.
1) With regard to the winch operator in the back of the truck in the video above I would recommend that a fixed seat with a seatbelt for the winch operator be installed.

2) I have witnessed several pilots get entangled with the towline drogue parachute that blossomed in front of them and then they flew into it.

My entanglement snagged onto my instrument flight deck on my left down tube and started to tow me from that location starting a lock out. What saved the day? I was on constant transmit while on tow. I told the driver to slow down. I was then able to unwrap the gore lines of the towline parachute from my flight deck and land.

At the Duluth Superior St. Louis Bay Winter Festival while ice towing behind snow machines I watched a pilot fly into the blossomed parachute after line tension reduced. The chute snagged at midpoint on his right flying wire.
Fortunately it stayed deflated until he landed. I’m not sure what would have happened had the chute inflated under his right wing.

Craig Austin another pilot in our Duluth Skyline Sky Dogs Club flew into a line chute and it snagged and started towing him by his helmet. He was able to untangle and land.

Brad Hall had his own invention that worked real slick. He had a long weaklink line attached to the towline. On the other end of the long weaklink line was the line chute. The chute was stuffed up into a tubular shaped bag with a small Velcro patch at the opening. Only after he released and the towline shot away did the line chute pull out of the tubular bag hooked to each pilots harness.

Another way to contain an inline chute is to run a weaklink line from the pilot to the parachute that has a pin that holds the chute closed until after releasing the towline.

I never use an inline chute for any of my towing. While static towing on someone else’s operation I put about 15’ of heavy 3/8” rope between my tow bridle and the towline parachute.

Towing through a line chute can and has really tied up some pilots in flight. Be careful how you tow.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bill Cummings » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Here and on several other HG websites the talking points about Bob Buxton’s towing accident indicate that the winch/reel operator was not doing his job properly. That his attention was not on the pilot at all times.
I went back again and watched this video in HD and stopped it several times.
I believe the winch operator was watching him the entire time the glider was in flight.
The towline last leaves the truck from a pulley mounted on the floor of the truck box.
The wide angle lens give the appearance of the glider being farther behind the truck than it really would be.
Wide angle always makes things in the distance look farther away than they really are.
If you stop the video at the point where the glider is headed off of the road you will see the rope coming from the pulley is out over the right rear side of the truck box. Bob is not far behind the truck but way to the right according to the towline.
It even looks like Bob Buxton crashed farther from the truck than he really did when seen through the wide angle lens above the truck cab. You can compare for yourself by looking at the last part of the video shot from the road at the starting point of the tow. That camera is not wide angle and gives the actual distance to the right of the road where the glider crashed.
The direction of the towline leads me to firmly believe that the winch/reel operator was watching his pilot the entire time he was in the air. The pressure gage and brake press adjustment mechanism is in the winch/reel operators hands. There was nothing of interest other than the glider to draw his attention.
Unless of course there was a picture of a naked girl on the side of the release mast.
Bill Cummings
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamKellner » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Hi Bill,
Quote Bill: I believe the winch operator was watching him the entire time the glider was in flight.

That's what it looks like to me also, however distorted the lens effects the view.

The reactions of the winch operator, although minimal, appear to be in direct realtion to what was happening on the glider end of the rope.

Do you know how Buxton is doing?

Thanks,
Sam
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
US Hawks Hang Gliding Assn.
Chapter #4
SamKellner
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to SW Texas Hang Gliders Forum