Here's a place to deposit scraps of information and observations of our US Hawks history.

Re: [HGAA: 16] org needed

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:28:33 -0700
Local: Wed, Aug 11 2010 1:28 pm
Subject: Re: [HGAA: 16] org needed
---
There's a fellow on hanggliding.org who goes by the name of "gluesniffer", and he once wrote:

"Hang Gliding must be represented by an organization that cannot survive without it"

I felt that statement was so important that I made it my signature line on hanggliding.org and several other sites.

Barry is absolutely right!!
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Re: org needed

Postby JoeF » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:48:15 -0700 (PDT)
Local: Wed, Aug 11 2010 4:48 pm
Subject: Re: org needed
---
Barry Palmatier
Aeros Phantom

View pilots' hang gliding rating at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
JoeF
Contributor
Contributor

US Hawks Hang Gliding Association

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 10:49:08 -0700 (PDT)
Local: Sun, Aug 15 2010 10:49 am
Subject: US Hawks Hang Gliding Association
---
Hello Members of the HGAA Discussion Group,

I had great hopes for the HGAA, but I've been disappointed with the results.

On the other hand, if there's room for 2 national organizations, then there might be room for 3.

So I've started the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association, and its web site is http://USHawks.org .

The US Hawks is designed to be a more distributed model based on local chapters being better integrated with the national organization. The USHPA model does have local chapters but they are not really central to the organization. I think that's upside down, and so I'm trying to put more focus on chapters with the US Hawks. As with the HGAA, this is an experiment in finding a better way to promote and organize the sport of hang gliding. It might succeed or fail, but either way, the exploration itself has value.

There are two ways to get involved with the US Hawks. One way is to simply visit our web site and participate on our forum as an individual. The other way is to work to increase our number of chapters by either inviting your existing chapter to join the US Hawks or by starting a local chapter on your own.

Either way, I hope you'll participate in this new experiment, and I wish you the best in flying.

Sincerely,
Bob Kuczewski
858-204-7499
bobkuczewski@gmail.com
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you will find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Announcing the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association web site...

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 00:17:34 -0700
Local: Sat, Aug 28 2010 12:17 am
Subject: Announcing the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association web site...
---
For immediate release (please post anywhere you like):

The U.S. Hawks Hang Gliding Association announces the official opening of the USHawks.org web site. The US Hawks is intended to be a national association of hang glider pilots and clubs working together to support the sport of hang gliding throughout the United States. In furtherance of that goal, the US Hawks web site will initially focus on building open forums for discussion among those who have an interest and a stake in hang gliding in the United States.

The US Hawks forums are open to members and non-members alike. Anyone interested in the future of hang gliding is welcome to join in. The main forum is currently broken into 4 major subsections:

US Hawks National (Hang Gliding General and Building the US Hawks)
US Hawks Chapters (contains a subforum for each US Hawks Chapter)
US Hawks History (a place to collect information about the US Hawks)
Off Topic Soap Box (for posting of non-Hawks articles and comments)

The US Hawks certainly welcomes new members and new chapters. There is no cost to join at this time, and all points of view are welcome. There is a FAQ section of the forum which contains answers to questions - which were never really "frequently asked" - but might be helpful just the same. :)

Please stop by and say "Hi", or write back with any questions or comments.

Bob Kuczewski
Founder of the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association

==============================================
Screen shot from "Hang Gliding General" forum at http://ushawks.org :
US_Hawks_Grand_Opening_small.png
US_Hawks_Grand_Opening_small.png (28.11 KiB) Viewed 8023 times

I think that was the last post to the HGAA Discussion Group on Google Groups. Most everyone posting there has begun using the US Hawks forum since that time.
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New org consideration on land use

Postby Bob Kuczewski » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:24 am

As each U.S. Hawks birthday arrives, I find myself looking back to rediscover the seeds of our organization. Each year I see more clearly with the hindsight won by another year of living.

This year (2019) I was struck by Joe Faust's message written on August 9th, 2010. In his message, Joe highlights both the recreational land use laws and the appropriate use of waivers. That was nearly 7 years to the day before we both flew at Dockweiler under just such an agreement with Los Angeles County.

Joe Faust is an amazing spirit, and I am forever grateful for his friendship.

Thank you Joe!!!

JoeF wrote:
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:51:24 -0700
Local: Mon, Aug 9 2010 4:51 pm
Subject: New org consideration on land use
---
Ray,
*Thanks for reply and questions*.
The movement is pre-embryonic; there is no organization yet. The discussion is ongoing in four places, at lease. Hence, such is not my org; I am a messenger/publisher. Anyone interested in seeing what might be done to have an org fully focussed on framed and frame-controlled hang gliders is welcome to join the discussion. Your questions are spot-on and would be helpful.

My personal solutions have little weight; *the evolving org will find its own way.* A revisiting of the full meaning of waivers might go a long way in setting aside landowner risks. When a recreationist uses a property without waiver *without being invited* by a landowner, there may not be any liabilities involved for the landowner. Add on that a sound waiver by the recreationist and things get quite clear that the recreationist takes all the responsibilities for himself or herself. Commercial relationships with landowners begin to take on a different character.

Holding oneself responsible for all the damages one might do to properties and persons from one's actions affects the character of one's flying habits, planning, and execution. Whether one wants third-party insurance or not to cover the risk of injuring people's properties or persons who are not involved in hang gliding is a distinct consideration in itself that has pros and cons; does a system of such insurance increase or decrease overall safety of hang glider pilots? :: I have not seen proof either way, but such question might be important for eventual answering. Hard to know are any payouts from third-party insurance to non-hang gliding persons because of actions by hang glider pilots; so far, my file is empty on this matter, but a huge amount of money has been given to insurance companies for such coverage. If I injure a fence, then I would pay for the fence repair. If I hurt a public person, then I would be responsible for the injury; I plan my flights so that I will not injure people or property. My habit is to improve properties that I use. Groups of pilots frequestly act to improve properties that they are privileged to use.

http://groups.google.com/group/hgaa FOR THE DISCUSSION.

Best of lift to you and yours, Ray,
JoeF

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Flyhangliders wrote:

> Joe;
> How would/does your new organization take care of landowners who need to
> protect their property while allowing us the opportunity to fly? How would
> you meet that challenge? Ray Berger
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joe Faust
> To: Flyhangliders
> Sent: Sun, Aug 8, 2010 8:34 am
> Subject: [HG] Help form a national "frame-controlled" hang gliding organization
>
> The mission statement is only embryonic by a growing number of hang glider
> people. One tack regards having a national org serving string-controlled
> limp-canopy gliders and one org that rises to serve hang gliders that have
> frame-control via direct coupling with pilot's hands and in which the
> glider
> has framed shaping. Those bringing on the coming mission statement and
> more are discussing matters.
> Lift,
> JoeF.
>
> __,_._,___
Bob Kuczewski
Contributor
Contributor

Previous
Forum Statistics